Repair Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Default Repair Manuals

In '05 I wanted to buy a repair manual for my '05 FEH to better understand the vehicle and do light repairs and maintenance. I found out Helminc.com is the publisher for all the Ford manuals and went to their website to see what was available and the cost. There was a set of repair manuals for the '05 FEH/MMH and the cost for them all was a few hundred dollars. Found a complete set on Ebay (Escape Hybrid search) and picked them all up for $110. They've been very helpful to me the past few years, so I now want a set for my '09 FEHL.

I've been waiting for the release of the '09 manuals and Helminc.com just e-mailed me that the '09 FEH/MMH Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnosis Manual was available. This manual was the best in the '05 set so I ordered one last night. It will be awhile before any of the '09 FEH/MMH manuals will be on Ebay so I went ahead and paid $50 plus 6.95 for handling for the PCM/ED manual. Most likely I'll wait for a better price for the other '09 Escape manuals on Ebay. There were deals for the '08 and older manuals on Ebay last night, so some of you interested may want a set of those.

The 7 to 10 day shipping was free, but some States have Sales Tax added. Here is a direct link to the manuals and DVD's available:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ATN0WME5GA2E74

GaryG

Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Repair Manuals

Another option available if your budget is a bit 'tighter' is at alldatadiy.com

I don't know how many of you are familiar with AllData, but it is a 'professional' resource for vehicle repair information (all makes and models are available to repair shops for several hundred dollars a month), but they now offer their service for one vehicle for $26.95/year.

I'll be honest.. it's not as comprehensive as far as Hybrid information goes... at least compared to factory service manuals, but like I said.. if money is tight, you might be pleasantly surprised (just make sure to weed out the differences of information between the hybrid and non-hybrid systems, as they don't quite have it sorted out quite right just yet, but it gets better as they update the information).

Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

With all of the dealerships going out of business, I suspect there will be lots of manuals showing up on e-bay.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Red
With all of the dealerships going out of business, I suspect there will be lots of manuals showing up on e-bay.
That may be true and I'd love to get my hands on one of their diagnosis computers or programs they plug into the OBDII.

The reason I like the Helms PCM/ED manual is because it explains the hardware and software Inputs and Outputs from the PCM, modules, sensors and switches. The '05 FEH PCM/ED manual is some good reading that has helped me understand the hybrid system to improve my mileage.

The '09 FEH/MMH hybrid system has some big changes and I can't wait to compare those changes to the '05 FEH. Of course I'll post what I find and one area will be to confirm the change from the Heated O2 sensors to the Lambda sensors. I'm hoping to see if the new '09 manual says anything about the operation of the new converters. The '09 FEHL also goes EV much faster than my '05 FEH from a cold start.

GaryG

Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
That may be true and I'd love to get my hands on one of their diagnosis computers or programs they plug into the OBDII.

The reason I like the Helms PCM/ED manual is because it explains the hardware and software Inputs and Outputs from the PCM, modules, sensors and switches. The '05 FEH PCM/ED manual is some good reading that has helped me understand the hybrid system to improve my mileage.

The '09 FEH/MMH hybrid system has some big changes and I can't wait to compare those changes to the '05 FEH. Of course I'll post what I find and one area will be to confirm the change from the Heated O2 sensors to the Lambda sensors. I'm hoping to see if the new '09 manual says anything about the operation of the new converters. The '09 FEHL also goes EV much faster than my '05 FEH from a cold start.

GaryG
You can see if you have a lambda sensor by determining if any of the lambda sensor PIDs are supported. Just go to CMNDS and enter 0120 into a memory and hit send. The response can be decoded to see if any of the lambda PIDs are supported by the FEH.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
You can see if you have a lambda sensor by determining if any of the lambda sensor PIDs are supported. Just go to CMNDS and enter 0120 into a memory and hit send. The response can be decoded to see if any of the lambda PIDs are supported by the FEH.
Okay Carl, here is what came up - 41208017F0110000 Now what does that mean?

GaryG

Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Okay Carl, here is what came up - 41208017F0110000 Now what does that mean?

GaryG
That means you have a lambda sensor! It is PID $34, which is not supported on my 05 FEH. The mode $01 PID of $20 is a supported PID list for PIDs $21 through $40. Your response decodes as follows:
8 0 1 7 F 0 1 1 (my 05 returns C 0 1 7 E 0 1 1)
in binary is
1000 0000 0001 0111 1111 0000 0001 0001
and counting from left to right is the PIDs from $21 to $40 so you have PIDs
21,2C,2E,2F,30,31,32,33,34,3C,40.

PID $34 is the equivalence ratio and current for the lambda sensor.

See wikipedia for OBD-II PIDs

Perhaps one of the reasons the 09 tolerates E10 better than the Gen 1 FEHs.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
That means you have a lambda sensor! It is PID $34, which is not supported on my 05 FEH. The mode $01 PID of $20 is a supported PID list for PIDs $21 through $40. Your response decodes as follows:
8 0 1 7 F 0 1 1 (my 05 returns C 0 1 7 E 0 1 1)
in binary is
1000 0000 0001 0111 1111 0000 0001 0001
and counting from left to right is the PIDs from $21 to $40 so you have PIDs
21,2C,2E,2F,30,31,32,33,34,3C,40.

PID $34 is the equivalence ratio and current for the lambda sensor.

See wikipedia for OBD-II PIDs

Perhaps one of the reasons the 09 tolerates E10 better than the Gen 1 FEHs.
Thanks Very Much Carl!

Looks like everything in that '08 February 14th article about the FEH/MMH has come true.

"High-Efficiency Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). The 2.5L iVCT I-4 engine gets variable valve timing on the intake side (Intake Variable Cam Timing, iVCT), as well as a wide-band lambda sensor in place of a conventional oxygen sensor."
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...reviews-n.html

Now a Ford engineer is stating the new Fusion/Milan Hybrids will have an electric A/C.

"Mr. Frenette said the 2010 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids will get electric compressors built in Franklin, Ind., by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Climate Control. That Mitsubishi division, which does make dual-scroll compressors, declined to comment on its plans with Ford."
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...ain-must-fall/

My plans for the 2010 Prius for my wife may have just changed!

GaryG

Old 10-14-2008, 04:12 PM

Just got the new PCM/ED manual this afternoon and briefly looked it over for changes. Here is a list of changes to the '09 FEH/MMH:
1. Modified computer controlled shutdown feature.
2. New 2.5L engine.
3. New 190 pin powertrain control module (PCM).
4. New deceleration fuel shut-off (DFSO) strategy.
5. New dual speed mechanical returnless fuel system.
6. New electronic throttle (ETB) with non contacting throttle position (TP) sensor.
7. New enhanced thermostat monitor. This explains why my FEH is going EV faster from a cold start.
8. New Hall effect camshaft position (CMP) sensor changed from variable reluctance type.
9. New misfire monitor.
10. New permanent P-code DTCs and clearing conditions. Black Box?
11. New universal heated oxygen sensors (HO2S). Confirmed Lambda broadband type. Used in conjunction with DFSO.
12. New variable camshaft timing (VCT) system.
13. Power sustain relay (PSR) deleted.

More information how to decode the bits into Hex digits, DTC Byte 1, DTC Byte 2 Failures and status.

Just thought I'd give everybody a quick review of the '09 PCM/ED manual. Looks like there is a completely new PCM, so programming old ones to the '09 software may be impossible now.

GaryG

Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Gary, that is interesting. In other words, the battery pack and parameters, the MG1 and MG2 sizes are still the same....given the HP of the new 2.5L 175HP engine, from your real experience, can the 2009 keep same fuel consumptioin level as the previous ones?

So many changes...I should have waited more towards the 2009....

Quick Reply: Repair Manuals

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands