Replacing my Conti Tires at 12k

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Replacing my Conti Tires at 12k

Well I had another flat tire last night. Actually, it was my wife and sleeping 3-year old in the car. In the rain. I wasn't there.

I've lost track of how many flat tires I have had. It's either 5 or 6 since September, 2006.

That's just crazy. The stock Continental ContiTrack Eco-Plus are either lousy or I've had an almost impossibly bad run of luck. I'm betting it's the tires mostly because I have driven these same roads for years in different cars and never had a flat.

I'm spending almost $700 for a new set of GoodYear Fortera Triple Treds.

If anyone wants my old Contis let me know. I'll sell them for $25 apiece, but you have to pick them up in northwest Washington State.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing my Conti Tires at 12k

Originally Posted by Island Mariner
Well I had another flat tire last night. Actually, it was my wife and sleeping 3-year old in the car. In the rain. I wasn't there.

I've lost track of how many flat tires I have had. It's either 5 or 6 since September, 2006.

That's just crazy. The stock Continental ContiTrack Eco-Plus are either lousy or I've had an almost impossibly bad run of luck. I'm betting it's the tires mostly because I have driven these same roads for years in different cars and never had a flat.

I'm spending almost $700 for a new set of GoodYear Fortera Triple Treds.

If anyone wants my old Contis let me know. I'll sell them for $25 apiece, but you have to pick them up in northwest Washington State.
If you are getting nails/etc I'd be darned if I know how it could be the fault of the tires. I hope you have better luck with the $700 tires because replacing them after they get a nail is going to stink. I suspect the problem is that someone drove by at somepoint recently and left a bunch of debris. A roofer perhaps.....

Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Although I think the ECO + absolutely tires stink in a lot of ways (I replaced mine with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's & I LOVE the difference, ECO + are the worst factory stock tires I've ever used as far as ride quality/noise etc goes), I don't think you can blame flat tires on the Conti's.

~John

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

There was a time when I agreed that punctures (as they all were) couldn't be blamed on the tire.

After 5 (or 6, whatever) flat tires in a year, however, one begins to rethink things.

I figure that tire have resistance to punctures and that some tires have more than others. It seems logical. And if some are better than others, then perhaps I could get the better ones.

Even more fundamental, though, was the desire to have fewer flat tires. If that's the goal, there's only so many things you can change.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had Bridgestone Duelers on my Rodeo back in the day. I had 7 punctures in just over a year. It was not the tires fault but due to a lot of construction in my area.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes. But as proof you are just having bad luck, or driving around a lot of construction, those EcoPlus have ABOVE average resistance to puncture.
Knock on wood, but I've gone almost 40,000 miles with a problem, and still have MORE than 50% of the tread left on them.

Originally Posted by Island Mariner

I figure that tires have resistance to punctures and that some tires have more than others. It seems logical. And if some are better than others, then perhaps I could get the better ones.