Reverse Fake Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Default Re: Reverse Fake Shift

Originally Posted by gpsman1
All good info, both here, there, and elsewhere.
Just remember, there is not only one way to do things...
Especially, with this car!

( and it's good for people to post the differences between older and newer model years - not too many people own one of each )

thanks Gary!
Your welcome John.

Today, I did some more experiments with the reverse fake shift and found it works when you take off in the creep mode and then do the quick blip. Regen may not have much to do with this technique after all. I think the most important thing is not allow the engine to start from EV under acceleration. The '09 is much harder to accelerate from a stop than my '05, but that may be because the drivetrain is not broke-in yet. In this case it would be better to roll start in the creep mode and do the blip for a restart with little to no SoC loss. Then get up to cruising speed and go EV with a much higher SoC to burn from.

With my driving methods, I must get 50 restarts or more a day. If I save on average .3% with this technique on every restart, that's 15% extra SoC to burn in EV. That would be like a free SoC of 55% to burn down to 40%. That's about 2 miles of steady state speed in EV at 40mph in the '09. Not only do you get the extra SoC, you run the engine less to get back to EV each cycle of charge/discharge in EV.

GaryG

Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I think the "no accel during restart" is at the heart.

Today in my really old, 2004 built FEH....

With SOC ~51% I did a restart via turning on A/C and lost 0.1% SOC.

I did this 20 times, from anywhere in the 51% to 40% SOC range.
Most often, I lost 0.1% SOC, but sometimes 0.2% SOC.

I then got the SOC low ( under 41% ) and found a place were I could coast EV in the 20 to 30 MPH range. With headlamps and fan on to drain SOC, I let the SOC drop. I stayed EV at 39.9% but ICE came on at 39.8% every time.

I did this 5 times coasting in D and 5 times coasting in N.
I only lost 0.1% SOC usually, or maybe 0.2% SOC once or twice.

I see no difference between high SOC restart and low SOC restart.

None of these times did I have my foot on the go pedal.

Next time I go out, I will try the blip method and see what happens.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I prefer the upside-down reverse back flip wheelhouse AWD over-inflated spare tire technique. Have you guys tried it? It results in a .01 mile gain for each 100 miles driven.

Sorry, with all of these crazy names and unusual driving techniques, I couldn't resist. Just drive the car!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

You know, just because you don't follow or subscribe to some of the more detailed driving techniques of others here is no reason to ridicule them for it. You are more than entitled to 'just drive the car' just as others are entitled to try and tweak as much as they can out of these great vehicles. Me personally, I tend to 'just drive it' more myself but I am not opposed to reading about and playing around with some of the more aggressive tricks that others post about here as long as I find them safe to me and others. Just my two cents. Sorry if you don't agree.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
You know, just because you don't follow or subscribe to some of the more detailed driving techniques of others here is no reason to ridicule them for it.
Three words for you.....GRAIN OF SALT.

It's a joke.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sascol
Three words for you.....GRAIN OF SALT.

It's a joke.
Dude, I got the joke...you made that clear. It was the last line after the joke that I was referring to. Again, I apologized if you took offense. And if that last line was meant as a joke it was not clear. One of the downfalls of internet postings and emails.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dude, I got the joke...you made that clear. It was the last line after the joke that I was referring to. Again, I apologized if you took offense. And if that last line was meant as a joke it was not clear. One of the downfalls of internet postings and emails.
So you wanna fight?? Is that it?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dude...you can't fight me...I am a super hero

Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dude...you can't fight me...I am a super hero
I got your green.....

Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Talking Re: Reverse Fake Shift

Originally Posted by Sascol
I prefer the upside-down reverse back flip wheelhouse AWD over-inflated spare tire technique. Have you guys tried it? It results in a .01 mile gain for each 100 miles driven.

Sorry, with all of these crazy names and unusual driving techniques, I couldn't resist. Just drive the car!
I thought it was funny and it had me LOL!!!!

I try everything once... but I don't do all the crazy stuff on a regular basis.

However
My company pays me 58 cents per mile to drive to each job site.
Gas is $1.469 here today.
I was late to where I needed to go, and still I couldn't bring myself to go faster than speed limit minus 5!!!! LOL!

Saving gas is addictive. Need more proof? Ask GaryG!

Quick Reply: Reverse Fake Shift

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands