Reverse Fake Shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Default Re: Reverse Fake Shift

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I thought it was funny and it had me LOL!!!!

I try everything once... but I don't do all the crazy stuff on a regular basis.

However
My company pays me 58 cents per mile to drive to each job site.
Gas is $1.469 here today.
I was late to where I needed to go, and still I couldn't bring myself to go faster than speed limit minus 5!!!! LOL!

Saving gas is addictive. Need more proof? Ask GaryG!
Now John, that's not true, burning fuel means your addicted to foreign oil. Saving gas means your trying to break that addiction from foreign oil. Addicts don't like us posting ways they can break their addiction and want us to "just drive the car".

My post are to those who want to break their addiction but don't know how or want to improve their mileage.

Thank you Green Lantern for your opinion to the sideline addict that feels a need to disrupt this threads subject. Desertdog gave us the SoC gauge and this new technique and this is the response we get.

GaryG

Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I agree with you saving gas is habit forming and you complain!?
LOL
Geeez......

Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM

I agree with you saving gas is habit forming and you complain!?
LOL
Geeez......
Your not going to change John and Desertdog was right not to post here on GH because of you!

GaryG

Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Engineering first

Tone it down my friends or we'll have to impose a cooling off period on the thread. We can agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Reverse Fake Shift

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Tone it down my friends or we'll have to impose a cooling off period on the thread......
Bob Wilson
But then what will I read to get a good chuckle...
This is better than re-runs of Golden Girls!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM

After a few days, and more than 20 experimental runs, it appears the pedal blip or pedal press is NOT important.

The effect of saving a little battery SOC comes from raising the go pedal, not quickly pressing it down and release. The release of the pedal is all that really matters.

In the future, you all can try this:
Drive as usual.
When in EV, as soon as you hear, feel, or see the engine come on, release the gas pedal for about 1 second, then gently re-apply. Your battery SOC will not go down hardly at all if you do this.

But is this "magic"? Not really. Either with the 'reverse fake shift' blip, or without it, by releasing the pedal, you are giving up a second or two of acceleration, torque, and thus, probably a trivial amount of speed. Your reward is, your battery SOC stays a little higher.

HTH,
-John

Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM

After a few days, and more than 20 experimental runs, it appears the pedal blip or pedal press is NOT important.

The effect of saving a little battery SOC comes from raising the go pedal, not quickly pressing it down and release. The release of the pedal is all that really matters.

In the future, you all can try this:
Drive as usual.
When in EV, as soon as you hear, feel, or see the engine come on, release the gas pedal for about 1 second, then gently re-apply. Your battery SOC will not go down hardly at all if you do this.

But is this "magic"? Not really. Either with the 'reverse fake shift' blip, or without it, by releasing the pedal, you are giving up a second or two of acceleration, torque, and thus, probably a trivial amount of speed. Your reward is, your battery SOC stays a little higher.

HTH,
-John
The reverse fake shift is like magic to me and that's all I need to know. I use it to restart the ICE every time I can and my mileage is off the charts now. Today before a cold start short trip to the store my Nav System Tank Average was at 54.4mpg. I was using the release of the pedal after the start-up before Carl explained his technique and it's like night and day how much better the blip works. There is no question I'm going to log Prius and HCH hypermiler tanks in the future using this technique.

To get the most out of this technique, I had to alter a few of my strategies to take advantage of losing no SoC from a restart. Most of it is commons sense to me like a quick blip at the green light to start the engine and accelerate with traffic and use the added SoC for a quicker steady state speed in EV under 41mph.

If I didn't know what works and what doesn't work I wouldn't have the highest MPG Challenge record in the '05 FWD FEH and the highest Cleanmpg '09 FEH mileage log. The blip works hands down for much better fuel economy and I have proof of that with my instant mileage increases.

GaryG

Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM

That's fine Gary. I don't disagree with you. You found somthing that works better for you. Great. I am all in favor of you doing what works best for you.
Your new way is obviously better than your old way. Keep doing it.

In my car, in my condtions, simply lifting the pedal accomplishes the exact same thing. Others who have 2005's may like to have all the information.
Each person can do what works best for them.

The past several days I have been simply lifting my foot at the time the engine starts. I lose 0.1% SOC on average doing this.
Once in a while, I lose 0.2%, and once or twice I didn't register any loss.
But on average, a restart takes away 0.1% SOC,
That all I'm saying.

Keeping my foot on the pedal, and getting gentle acceleration during a restart makes my SOC drop by 0.4% to 0.8%.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM

P.S. if your MPG is "going though the roof" then I'll bet you 100 dollars that, if examined scientifically, you're driving slightly slower now, and even more conservatively now, but you are not noticing it, because you cannot be an impartial observer to yourself.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:29 PM

P.S. if your MPG is "going though the roof" then I'll bet you 100 dollars that, if examined scientifically, you're driving slightly slower now, and even more conservatively now, but you are not noticing it, because you cannot be an impartial observer to yourself.
I'm driving much faster John and I only compete with myself. How can I be impartial to myself?

GaryG

Quick Reply: Reverse Fake Shift

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands