Seen an '09 FEH On A Lot

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Default Re: Seen an '09 FEH On A Lot

Originally Posted by stevedebi
In my opinion, it is a step backwards. In my 2008, I have the choice of allowing pure EV or manually turning off ECON. In the 2009, you don't have any choice; the FEH turns on the A/C automatically.

I often run with my temp set at 60 degrees, using manual fan and direct vents. In my 2008 I can go EV with this setup; in a 2009 the A/C would run all the time.

What, they think people are too stupid to reach down and turn off ECON if they need A/C while stopped? That's what I do when the family is in the car.
I agree Steve, to run the A/C for 10 minutes at 60 degrees in the ECON mode and still have to turn the Temp setting to 78 degrees to finally go EV is crazy. This means I have to turn the heater on to go EV in the ECON mode. This happen the other night, I turned the A/C on and adjusted the A/C setting just above the outside temperature and still no EV. As I turned the temperature a little higher, the A/C started blowing hot air.

GaryG

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
I look at it a bit differently. By setting the temp at 76, I can come to a stop and the ice will shut down. If, however, traffic is real bad and I sit there as the temperature rises SEVERELY, the ice will kick on instead of;

A: Me cooking ( I can remember sweating on a couple of occasions in the 08)
B: Reaching down and shutting the econ off manually.

Before if it got too hot inside, I would always be switching the econ off and on, off and on
Sometimes sitting there till I could take it no more, then clicking the switch off..Once I got moving I would click it back on...

This gives me the best of both worlds while letting the truck switch the econ "off" for me.
I still can ADJUST my heat temperment by setting the temperature higher, which will hold the ice off longer before taking over.

Having owned an 08 and an 09, there are many changes in just one year of production. It's stunning.

I'm sure more posts are to come on many of them.

Sean
Well, we must agree to disagree. I find the 2009 method intrusive, in that the owner has no choice in the matter - when the ECON switch is on, I expect the engine to shut off at stops and when slowing, etc. You can't fully control that on the 2009.

However I can see your point. I just prefer the 2008 method. I see why they put in the change, but I disagree that it is better.

A better implementation would have been to do their "new" programming some other way. How about reprogramming the A/C such that if ECON was NOT selected, the car would still go to EV if the cabin temperature was within, say, 5 degrees of the target setting, and then come back on if the temperature got to 10 degrees above the setting? That would allow the best of both worlds. Then you could force A/C by lowering the temperature, but force EV if desired. If people got too hot when the EV hit, they would automatically lower the temperature. This would mean that in full A/C mode, if the A/C wasn't needed, the engine could shut down (since the cabin temp indicates A/C is not needed) - more of a full automatic climate control mode than either the 2008 or the 2009.

Sweet and simple - it would require a note in the owner's manual. Speaking of which, is this 2009 ECON behavior documented in the owner's manual?

Any Ford engineers reading these posts?

Last edited by stevedebi; 08-29-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
A better implementation would have been to do their "new" programming some other way. How about reprogramming the A/C such that if ECON was NOT selected, the car would still go to EV if the cabin temperature was within, say, 5 degrees of the target setting, and then come back on if the temperature got to 10 degrees above the setting? That would allow the best of both worlds. Then you could force A/C by lowering the temperature, but force EV if desired. If people got too hot when the EV hit, they would automatically lower the temperature. This would mean that in full A/C mode, if the A/C wasn't needed, the engine could shut down (since the cabin temp indicates A/C is not needed) - more of a full automatic climate control mode than either the 2008 or the 2009.

Sweet and simple - it would require a note in the owner's manual. Speaking of which, is this 2009 ECON behavior documented in the owner's manual?

Any Ford engineers reading these posts?
Now that is an even better idea.

the 09 manual says:

Econ: Press to activate/deactivate economy air conditioning operation. Econ mode may provide improved fuel economy by allowing the gasoline engine to shut down even if air conditioning is requested.
When the gas engine turns off, the ac compressor does not operate to cool the cabin and comfort may be reduced.
In econ mode, when the gasoline engine is running, ac operates as normal. To prioritize cooling comfort over fuel economy, de-activate econ. Econ can not be selected in defrost of floor/defrost.

It also says under "tips"

If you find the comfort degredation too much during the gasoline engine off cycles when using a/c in econ mode, try leaving the system in econ mode and reducing the temperature setting one or two degrees at a time.

Can you confirm yours is the same steve?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gary,

We have only had ours a week (less than). My wife has been using it for work all week and she actually drove it home from Apopka. I just got back from my first drive since we got it and it shut off at all my stops but one. On that one I had just been driving EV and the ice had kicked in because the battery was low (it's current low limit).. so when I stopped it stayed on for almost the full red light cycle.

I noticed the truck runs in EV at least TWICE as much as the 08, and it wont let the battery go as high or as low on the scale. (the batt stays between 1/2 and 3/4) I understand that it is still conditioning the new battery but I noticed that even sitting in the driveway playing with the radio, that it will start the ice when the battery drops just below half.

Could yours be running so much simply because it is using the battery more during driving and it is trying to charge it more than it will once broken in?
If you are force manipulating it to use more battery energy than it wants to, you could be running even in econ simply because it is trying to keep the battery at "still conditioning levels"

just a thought...

Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Now that is an even better idea.

the 09 manual says:

Econ: Press to activate/deactivate economy air conditioning operation. Econ mode may provide improved fuel economy by allowing the gasoline engine to shut down even if air conditioning is requested.
When the gas engine turns off, the ac compressor does not operate to cool the cabin and comfort may be reduced.
In econ mode, when the gasoline engine is running, ac operates as normal. To prioritize cooling comfort over fuel economy, de-activate econ. Econ can not be selected in defrost of floor/defrost.

It also says under "tips"

If you find the comfort degredation too much during the gasoline engine off cycles when using a/c in econ mode, try leaving the system in econ mode and reducing the temperature setting one or two degrees at a time.

Can you confirm yours is the same steve?
On my 2008, if I have ECON selected, the engine never runs, in my experience. I've had the engine stay off when it was 106 outside, probably 115 or so inside.