Sometimes blind people just outright annoy me

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sometimes blind people just outright annoy me

Originally Posted by livvie
i think the push back comes from lack of evidence that there really is a problem. i hate to make it sound like it requires x amount of people to get hit before it is a problem, but we have to be realistic too. i hear about people who can see and hear get hit by trains all the time, were they confused? i do agree that the blind are ignored to a degree but let's go after things that are higher priority. I can't imagine that adding a sound device to a hybrid being in the top 10 issues of importance, but I could be wrong. I would rank getting them jobs higher, but that's just me.
I see the situation as the powerful vs the powerless. The powerful has all the tools to show that the powerless has no problem. The powerless are suffering with their fears. The powerful set the agenda.

California gives the the crosswalk to the pedestrian. Cars have been ticket from entering the crosswalk when the pedestrian has the green light. But that law is honored in the breach.

On the other hand, in Chicago and some Eastern Cities in the US and Canada, it's more Darwinian. However to my knowledge, the white cane changes everything giving the right of way to the bearer.

If I may quote from an op-ed piece in today's LA Times, entitled, The Slumdog Fight, by Chitra Divakaruni (which I confess has nothing to do with the discussion except the quote just popped out at me) ". . . painful, persistent realities tend to become invisible to us."

Well, so what is my position, or point? My liberal friends like to point out that we can see both sides to a problem (or situation and this being blind is a problem sighted people cannot fathom). Statistics alone don't tell the story nor end it. Rights by definition belong to everyone. I guess that includes the cross walks.