Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I don't remember that specifically from my session, but real world has borne this out to be true in mt FEH at least.

BTW, just came back from Chicago and the CTA ( Traffic Authority ) is useing FEH's.
Just a quick correction-the CTA is the Chicago Transit Authority-buses, subways (the "L") and trains.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
On really flat terrain I disagree. CC prevents "Speed up" and keeps the RPMs low, there are several areas where I can't beat the CC on level ground for miles at a time. With even mild hills, I switch off the CC (Well, cancel really) and do it manually as I'm far better, as mentioned.
Yes, but other than people in the plains, who really drives on flat terrain? As you said yourself, if there are mild hills you are better without CC.

I wish someone would make a smarter cruise control that doesn't "floor it" to try to maintain speed.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Since highway gas mileage is primarily a function of wind resistance, the greatest fuel economy over 40 mph would be at 40.00...001 mph and decreasing steadily from there. This is especially true with the eCVT that we have.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

No... you WAY over simplified.... and this is NOT the case.... At all....

You will get the best MPG in the 2005-2007's at 48 MPH.
This is based on many factors.
By your reasoning, you expect the best MPG at 1 mph.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jworth
Since highway gas mileage is primarily a function of wind resistance, the greatest fuel economy over 40 mph would be at 40.00...001 mph and decreasing steadily from there. This is especially true with the eCVT that we have.
You are correct and the reason I don't post with these people on GH. You only have to look at the test I conducted for Wayne Gerdes for his presentation at the '06 Hybridfest on the '05 FEH Steady State Speed Graph:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 Look at my mileage log there to determine what works. The best mileage in all the models of the FEH is 30mpg hands down! You answered correctly!

GaryG

Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Your hybrid's forte' is NOT highway cruising, most any roughly equivalent non-hybrid can equal you, if not beat you in highway MPG. The hybrid FE advantage is relative to other vehicles in city stop and go traffic.

Don't make yourself a nuisance, no need, on the highway by driving below the speed of the traffic flow.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Yes, but other than people in the plains, who really drives on flat terrain? As you said yourself, if there are mild hills you are better without CC.

I wish someone would make a smarter cruise control that doesn't "floor it" to try to maintain speed.
At the end of the "day" it really doesn't much matter, at least according to Newton and his apple.

"What goes up MUST come down"

And on the way down you recover most of the extra energy you used going "up".

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 AM

Users have posted on this forum that fuel mileage can improve in "rollng hill" terrain opposed to "flat" terrain regardless of what the previous post stated.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Don't make yourself a nuisance, no need, on the highway by driving below the speed of the traffic flow.
Funny some people feel like making themselves a safety hazard by going above the posted speed limit. If the speed limit is 65, that is the maximum permitted speed. And if there is a minimum posted speed the speed you are legally required to drive is between the two...

Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Funny some people feel like making themselves a safety hazard by going above the posted speed limit. If the speed limit is 65, that is the maximum permitted speed. And if there is a minimum posted speed the speed you are legally required to drive is between the two...
AND you are required by law to move over to the right to allow overtaking no matter what speed you are going. If you look in your mirror and see a car behind you ( you do look in your mirror? ) YOU are slower traffic.

Quick Reply: Speed above 40 MPH for highest MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands