Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Ronin
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Have you looked at the wheel bearings? If the wheel has a squeak when it turns on the hoist it has to be brakes, bearings, or U-joints... what else is there? If it has a squeak standing still when the suspension deflects.. then it sounds like a bushing or spring issue.

Anybody have another idea?

Old 02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Robert,

I purchased my 2006 FEH in June 2005 from a Bay Area, CA dealer and have the same exact squeaking noise. I'm going to try the power washing suggestion and also the parking brake trick. I'll let you know how they go. If all else fails, I'll bring it in to the dealership.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast

I also have this problem. When the car is parked and you (for example) place a heavy object in the back and apply pressure pushing the car forward it makes the noise. It also occurs at slow EV speeds and often during reverse.

The dealership (as I've recounted in another post) first said it didn't exist then tried grinding the brake pads differently but this did not solve the problem.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hi- I'm a newbie here, (will skip smiley faces, fonts, and icons for now...) but wanted to quickly post my experience with the rear squeaking in the '05 FEH, and how it was resolved by my dealer. I posted this problem on Hybridcars.com last year...no one else had this problem back then.

I purchased my 2005 Escape hybrid in 11/04. Within a month, I noticed a high pitched "chirping" noise coming from the passenger side rear tire well. It would increase in speed according to tire rotation, slower I went, slower the chirping went. It was LOUD and not a good sound...it happened when the car was warm, and I was driving in battery mode.

Took the car in two times, it didn't make the sound at the dealership, got it back, "Sorry, Ma'am!" One day it started chirping, and I drove 20 miles out of my way to the dealership to have a mechanic drive with me. "THIS is the sound!" I said. "Now make it go away!" I was very firm, and told the service dept. I did now want the car back until they figured it out. I had a sense it had something to do with the regenerative braking system. I knew it was not a good idea to keep driving the car. I was ready to apply for lemon law status...This was exactly why I hesitated buying a Ford.

The mechanics finally agreed, took apart the rear brakes and found that the rear disk rotors had been worn down very unevenly, too far to be smoothed out! (I'd had the car 1 month...) They replaced the rear rotors, realligned the brakes and pads, and voila, the chirping sound was gone.

It's been over a year now, and the sound has not returned. Have your dealership look at the rotors. This could become a dangerous situation and effect braking, and battery charging.

Good luck!

Joan

Old 02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Joan, I'll have to ask my dealership to check this out. They scraped down my brakes before...but I don't know if they examined them this closely.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Tom-
Glad to help. I'm in socal and I got my Escape at Galpin Ford in Van Nuys. If your dealership has any questions, they can call the service dept. there and get the info. (Brake service on hybrid December '04) I'm hoping Ford is developing a data base with these problems, and sharing the info with the hybrid design dept. and service depts.

Good luck! It's a really terrific SUV, even with this snafu-
j

Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I have the exact same sound as described. Seems that there are too many of these reports. Maybe Ford should look into this. I will take it in to the dealer when I get a chance.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

I have got the same problem. My 05 (i just purchased used with 8700 miles on it) started doing it today. It is the warmest day I have had it, so the heat may have something to do with it. It is really annoying! I drove for about 15 miles at speed and it went away. I dorve it for about 2 miles stop and go and it came back. I do not like it!

If anyone hears about a fix or a problem with a certain part, please share!

Ariel

Old 03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Ariel-

Read my post on this thread- I explain that in my case it was the rear brake rotors, which were replaced, and the problem went away. Take the car back to the dealer, and have them look at the rotors.
Best,
joan

Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Grab the emergency brake (while stopped), pull on it really hard and then realease it.

Magically, on most Escapes, the noise will go away. Leave the e-brake tagging the rotors, and eventually, you might eat them up.

MM

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands