Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Yet another victim. My '06 FWD just started squeaking today in the right rear. And it's $#@$# cold here, so I'm assuming warm weather has nothing to do with it. I'm just coming up on 5,000 kilometers (around 3,100 miles).

I'll try the parking brake thing, then it's off to the dealer. :(

Last edited by zigguratt; 03-07-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Hey guys, I have had a squeaking/chirping noise in my 06 for about 6 months now (right rear as well). The only thing is I never really suspected the brakes because my noise only come up when I am driving over rough/uneven surface so I always thought it was the suspension. Do you guys experience that as well or are your noises just brake/speed related? I have also drove a little with the parking brake on (both intentionally and unintentionally), that didn't seem to help. I have been to the dealer twice, they are cured for about a week then back with a vengence. First time they replaced the shock, second time they said it was somewhere in the bushings, I am getting pretty frustrated, but I will mention the brake rotor thing to them this third, and hopefully the last time.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Ours is doing it again. It may be more than one problem.

Before - you could rock the back of the car and it would squeak (sitting still_ - but now it doesn't.

It does seem to start after we've carried weight in the back (passengers or cargo).

Old 03-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

The return of the squeaks...I've had my '05 Escape for a year and a half now, and have had both issues.

Chuck, the rotor problem I had resolved by my dealer was a squeak or chirp directly related to the speed I was driving. At high speeds it chirped rapidly, and was hard to detect, but at 30 mph or under it was a loud, high-pitched squeal that matched the rhythm of the tire rotation. I would definately have the mechanics look at the rotors...mine were completely worn out of shape. Not good.

Robert- I have had a similar squeaking come from below the driver side and rear seats once in a while. It seems really random, and other drivers have mentioned it on other hybrid boards as a result of lighter insulation leading to louder frame flex noises. It's annoying, but not dangerous.

We're not alone...just google Ford Escape Hybrid and "squeak"! That said, I still love this SUV.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't had time to bring the escape back in for the squeaks, school has been quite hellish. I'm still having the rear seat drivers side squeak, the dashboard squeak (by the left drivers air vent) as well as the squeaking rear wheels in (now mostly) reverse and when putting heavy things in the cargo area (pushing the truck forward).

I think I've just begun to tune them out.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

HI,

I have had my Escape for a couple of weeks and noticed a loud squeak driving in a parking lot. The squeak was rhythimic and correlated with speed. I assume it was the rear brakes and has since gone away, presumably after using the brakes a bit.

I have not gone looking, but has anyone used some sort of break squeak product (a spray lubricant, perhaps)?

Cheers,

Roch

Old 03-31-2006, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert_Detjen
Ours is doing it again. It may be more than one problem.

Before - you could rock the back of the car and it would squeak (sitting still_ - but now it doesn't.

It does seem to start after we've carried weight in the back (passengers or cargo).
THAT IS EXACTLY THE NOISE I HAD.
The dealership couldn't find it.

Last edited by tom.arthur; 05-10-2006 at 03:17 AM. Reason: edited for content ;)
Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast

I thought I was unique (in a bad way) on this issue. Sadly, I am not. I have the squeek. I also have a thunk that is only apparent after driving for about 1/2 hour, and over bumps. It has been to the dealer three times.

First Time: "We hear it, but we can't find it. We think it's a loose weld. Please bring it back in two days so we can take it to the body shop.)
Second Time: "We ended up not having to take it to the body shop. Ford installed a rear brace incorrectly. We put it on correctly. The issue is resolved." (Indeed, it was gone--for about a week.)
Third Time (different dealer): "We hear the noise. We replaced the right shock absorber. The other dealer had only replaced the left. The issue is resolved." (Not this time. I drove it the next day and had the same issue--clunk is a bit worse.)

Total time in the hands of the dealers thus far: Four business days.

I called the dealer today and told him that I want to have someone from Ford look at this, and that I have lost patience. I told them that I would not keep bringing it back. They can either fix the problem, replace it, or take it back.

As someone noted earlier, this was a fear I had about buying a Ford product. Lesson learned.

Joel

Old 04-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

I've had it too. It does it the loudest after a 30 mile or more drive, when I'm at slow speeds and turning left. It's done it since day one and I've brought it to the dealer so many times - but they can't find anything.

After about 3,000 miles, a funky noise joined my squeek - but this was at all speeds. I brought it to the dealer and they said my front wheel bearings were bad and replaced them. (I should have known at this point that this was a sign of things to come since wheel bearings shouldn't go bad at 3,000 miles). The squeeking rear end never went away - but other things started to happen. The FEH would surge at random times when I was coming to a stop (very scary). Then at 16,000 miles as I was driving my 30+ mile commute to work, the "high motor temperature" warning came on. I was able to get it to a parking lot safely and have it towed. To make a long story short - it's been in and out of the shop ever since for some very MAJOR problems (including just powering down without notice in front of a bus and as I was pulling out into traffic).

After telling Ford I was going to file lemon law, they finally offered me a replacement vehicle. I decided not to take my chances on another FEH - so I'll be taking delivery of an '07 Sport Trac Limited next week. Yes - the fuel economy (or lack thereof) stinks and it completely goes against every bit of reason I had to buy the FEH - but what the heck. I had to take a Ford vehicle of equal value and didn't like the Freestyle and they weren't exactly giving me much time to make up my mind - so I just saw a loaded Sport Trac that I liked and told them "I'll take it." LOL!

Anyways - my point is don't give up. Keep taking it in and demand that they find the problem and fix it. Or go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. If enough people do that, then maybe Ford will do something about it.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Just got a brand new 06 FWD FEH and after two weeks of ownership I also noticed the squeak in the rear wheels - I believe it to be in the passenger side (right rear) and it only happens after the brake system has warmed up and at low speeds - both forward and reverse. I took it into the dealership and apparently there is a Ford Service Note out there regarding the parking brake cable - mine was not properly mounted according to the dealer and they have repaired the cable. So far, the squeak has not returned - I've had the vehicle back from the dealer for 2 days now. Other than this issue, it has been a GREAT vehicle - overall average of 32 mpg - in South Florida its almost a requirement to race along at 75 mph or you get run over - so I'm very pleased thus far. Didn't think I really like this car since I traded my caddy sedan deville in for a 4 banger - but the pickup is good and I'm laughing all the way to bank and (away from the gas pump). There are many people I know spending $60-$100 to fill up their SUV's - I spend around $32/week compared to my caddy costing me $60/week in premium unleaded.

Also noteworthy, application of the brakes did NOT have any effect on the squeak.......

Will post further if the squeak returns

Last edited by Organist6226; 05-05-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands