Strange sound when unlocking with remote.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Strange sound when unlocking with remote.

Hi
I'm the new owner of a 2006 Escape hybrid 4vx4 with 105000 miles on it.
So far quite pleased though I'm only one tank into it.

I get a strange sound, like a servo motor running for a few seconds when I use the remote to unlock the doors.
Sound occurs nearly every time and sometimes "cycles" through once or twice.
Usually goes away when I start the motor, but sometimes not. Any ideas?

Also, when I firt took possession the MPG screen said 25.8, but now says 26.2, but after a fill up my calculations give approx 27.8.
Will the numbers change over time as my habits are calculated into the equation or can I reset the computer to delete the first owners number/ habits?
TIA.

Gerry

Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strange sound when unlocking with remote.

That sound is probably just the brakes pressuring. Both my old 2006 and new(er) 2008 do this.

The fuel economy display doesn't track the fuel usage for even 1 tank. Just hold down the set button to reset the mileage display.

The best way to see how you're improving is what the Miles to Empty shows after each fill.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
That sound is probably just the brakes pressuring. Both my old 2006 and new(er) 2008 do this.

The fuel economy display doesn't track the fuel usage for even 1 tank. Just hold down the set button to reset the mileage display.

The best way to see how you're improving is what the Miles to Empty shows after each fill.
I agree, but the '09 and newer FEH tracks MPG after a reset at fill-up to at least 884 miles miles which was my last tank. The '09 has a smaller gas tank than the '05 FEH even though it states 15 gallons like the older FEH. However, the Miles To Empty only goes as high as 699 miles on the '09 FEH where the older FEH like my '05 FEH will most likely go as high as 999 Miles To Empty. Most of my '09 FEH tanks show 699 Miles To Empty after fill-up since new. Wish the '09 MTE went to 999 so I could change my sig page picture from the '05 FEH.

GaryG

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

"That sound is probably just the brakes pressuring. Both my old 2006 and new(er) 2008 do this."

Thanks Fjord!
So, if I understand it correctly, the brakes have to "pressure up" (like air brakes or something similar), and thus the "motor" type noise. I suppose that has something to do with how they work in charging the battery. So, this is a benign sound and nothing to worry about?
Re: My "miles till empty" figure has gone up when I filled up so I think I'm on the right track!
Thanks to you both!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gptco
"That sound is probably just the brakes pressuring. Both my old 2006 and new(er) 2008 do this."

Thanks Fjord!
So, if I understand it correctly, the brakes have to "pressure up" (like air brakes or something similar), and thus the "motor" type noise. I suppose that has something to do with how they work in charging the battery. So, this is a benign sound and nothing to worry about?
Re: My "miles till empty" figure has gone up when I filled up so I think I'm on the right track!
Thanks to you both!
My 2008 makes a noise like this, but I was under the impression that it is the MCES that causes it, as it prepares to cool the electronics. ICE Escapes do not have this pump.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM

What you are hearing is the pressurization of the high-pressure accumulator which is part of the FEHs primary braking (brake-by-wire) system. Here's a tech article that covers some of the initial FEH braking technology.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart
What you are hearing is the pressurization of the high-pressure accumulator which is part of the FEHs primary braking (brake-by-wire) system. Here's a tech article that covers some of the initial FEH braking technology.
It is a nice article, but doesn't mention the noise.

EDIT: Not that I care, brakes or MCES, I don't worry about my FEH so long as everything works.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Since someone is being hard to please... here's another article that at least talks about the depressurization process that happens after the vehicle has been key-off and no user input detected for several minutes.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart
Since someone is being hard to please... here's another article that at least talks about the depressurization process that happens after the vehicle has been key-off and no user input detected for several minutes.
Not hard to please, just seeking accuracy. Actually I think your link tells the tale:

"The replacement of the friction material is the same as with a conventional system, however, the ABS module does test the brake hydraulic system’s integrity by pressurizing it during key-off events, such as opening the door or whenever the dome light is activated, and again when the key is switched on. "

Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
My 2008 makes a noise like this, but I was under the impression that it is the MCES that causes it, as it prepares to cool the electronics. ICE Escapes do not have this pump.
Hi Steve

The key to the question was unlocking the doors. The MEC pump needs the key to be On.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Strange sound when unlocking with remote.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands