Thinking of buying a used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Thinking of buying a used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Go with the hybrid. You'll have advantages in that the battery is in a broken in state where it'll get you better mileage, and these things actually are built to last. How many CRV's get 50 MPG? With some patience and a good commute, you can achieve great milage without resorting to anything drastic or dangerous.

Consider, is the price of gas going to up or down over the lifetime of this vehicle? Also, consider that there are companies right now that are working on PHEV conversion kits for the Escape, which means in a few years, you can affordably get your vehicle changed over to run off the socket, and use even less gas without having to get a new vehicle.

I've had mine two years and 2 months, and other than the occasional oil change, replacing the windshield wipers, I've had nothing done, and it's a very satisfying vehicle to drive.

Keep in mind what the supposed mileage may not apply. The '06 AWD FEH is rated 27 MPG currently by the EPA. I've never had a tank that low, even in the winter, below freezing in snow, and during this summer, I haven't had a tank under 35, and several above 40 MPG. By driving the vehicle right, you can produce some really great numbers with it.

I think you want the hybrid, you're just wanting that extra little piece of mind that says it's a good decision. It is. In four months, you'll be really glad you got it.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 08-15-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Happy about Hybrids

Thanks everyone,
I decided to go with the Ford. I put a deposit on it and it will be in my hands tonight. Sticker price was $19995 and I got them down to $18750. They wouldn't go beyond that but it's still a better price than any HOnda I looked at. I think I will look into the extended warranties someone showed me the site for earlier. My original warranty is good up until April, but I may get it after that. I got it at a Toyota dealer and the salesman said you dont' have to use Synthetic oil in hybrids, you just have to change it more often. Is there a real difference between the two?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM
N/A

HA HA this is too funny! He said you have to change the oil more often? What's HE been smokin'? Hybrids require fewer oil changes, not more. The gasoline engine shuts off at traffic lights and low speeds, so it experiences less actual run time per hour driven. Thus requiring fewer oil changes. Ford recommends every 5000 miles, I think. Maybe every 7500 or 10,000. Whether you run synthetic or not is pretty much a personal decision.

This is further proof that sales people often make up about half of everything they tell you.

One important thing: If you decide to get a Ford Extended Service Plan, you need to buy it before your warranty expires. Once the factory warranty expires, the vehicle either will no longer qualify for an ESP or the plan will be more expensive.

I would recommend verifying the warranty expiration date with a Ford dealer, if you haven't already. Given that the salesman already made one "error", it would be a good idea to call a Ford store yourseld and ask them to run your VIN and verify the date. Or have your selling dealer guarantee the date in writing.

Last edited by mtberman; 08-15-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: corr oil tinfo
Old 08-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Happy about Hybrids

Sorry.... I meant, he said w/regular oil changes you have to change it more often and that is the only difference. I thought the regular oil would damage the engine, but he claims to see no difference and said in all their Toyota highbrids they use regular oil.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The ford spec is "5w-20 Premium Synthetic Motor Oil" and a 5000mi service interval. I use Mobil1 or Amsoil, sometimes Matrix all 5W-20 full synthetic. The engine constantly starting and stopping can be a wear problem due to oil flow, synthetics tend to help in these situations.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on your new hybrid, I'm sure you'll love it!

BTW, the FEH has two standard warranties. The first is the normal 3 year/36,000 mile 'bumper to bumper' warranty that all new cars have. The second is an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty which covers all 'hybrid unique parts'.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I think you will LOVE your FEH. Its just so cool to drive around in an suv and get better mileage than most people get in an econo box. Congrats and come back and give us some feed back and ask more questions. There is ALLOT of experience here.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The ford spec is "5w-20 Premium Synthetic Motor Oil" and a 5000mi service interval. I use Mobil1 or Amsoil, sometimes Matrix all 5W-20 full synthetic. The engine constantly starting and stopping can be a wear problem due to oil flow, synthetics tend to help in these situations.
My book shows the ford spec is 10,000 mile interval, 5000 for rotating the tires.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
I would recommend verifying the warranty expiration date with a Ford dealer, if you haven't already. Given that the salesman already made one "error", it would be a good idea to call a Ford store yourseld and ask them to run your VIN and verify the date. Or have your selling dealer guarantee the date in writing.
Good point. The warranty could have been voided at some point.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Happy about Hybrids

Well I registered my VIN with myford.com and it says my car has a warranty, so I'll have to call them up to verify the ending date. I brought my new car last night and it's great.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands