Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking to get the Escape Hybrid

I've been watching ebay for FEH and there are lots available. Many with very low miles. So many so that I have been wondering why so many people sell them so quickly? Is it a love or hate relationship? Any thoughts? I have an original 01 v6 I am considering replacing with the hybrid. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marchiando
I've been watching ebay for FEH and there are lots available. Many with very low miles. So many so that I have been wondering why so many people sell them so quickly? Is it a love or hate relationship? Any thoughts? I have an original 01 v6 I am considering replacing with the hybrid. Thanks!

Hey there:
Just checked ebay, 4 FEH's of a total of 56 Escapes.

Suprising was the 80 Prius on ebay! Toyota also had 5 HiHy's of 30 total. Found 6 Honda Insights, and 43 HCH 's of 371 Civics and 14 HAH of 325 Accords.

Not sure any real conclusions can be drawn. Need to take into account total production, years available, sales, etc...

But just off the cuff overall, looks like Escape owners might be pretty happy with their rigs. With the FEH owners especially so! With so much lip coming from the Toyota folks it seems they'd hold on to those superior rigs longer than they do....?

Steve
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 01-30-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I wanted to pull out my DORA to just make sure. On my '07 MMH, the X-plan price was $50 less than the invoice price.

Plus, again, the dealer can't jack up the X-plan price with "required" fees like Advertising and Documentation, like the do so very often with an invoice price sale.
The '07 MMH I was interested in has an X-plan price of $28,091, and MSRP of $29,105. I confirmed both prices from the dealer paper work and again by having someone run the VIN number over at BON forum. That vehicle at Edmunds has an invoice price of $27,506. I can't explain the difference in X-plan pricing between this one and yours unless Ford adjusted the X-Plan pricing due to the cash incentives available right now.

What time of year did you buy yours, and were there other incentives available at that time?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
The '07 MMH I was interested in has an X-plan price of $28,091, and MSRP of $29,105. I confirmed both prices from the dealer paper work and again by having someone run the VIN number over at BON forum. That vehicle at Edmunds has an invoice price of $27,506. I can't explain the difference in X-plan pricing between this one and yours unless Ford adjusted the X-Plan pricing due to the cash incentives available right now.

What time of year did you buy yours, and were there other incentives available at that time?
If you got to see the dealer's paper work for the X-plan and the MSRP, what was the invoice shown on that paper work? I was comparing the X-plan vs. the invoice shown on the dealer's paper work (the DORA). Honestly, I never bothered to compare the dealer's invoice price vs. a third party like Edmunds invoice price.

I got mine back in September. The incentive back then, was 0% financing for 48 months. I don't think that Ford adjusts the X-plan prices, unless it also adjusts the MSRP. BTW, X-plan purchases get the same incentives. So, if there is a rebate, you get the rebate in addition to the X-plan price.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
Also, they all have the same terrible placement of controls for the heated seats....can't see them, can't really get your hand down there....just poor.
Not only that but, once you turn it on you have to manually turn it off. It will not reset itself when you shut down your vehicle. This bothers me on the passenger side because if someone activates it and then gets out without turning it off, it's on every time you start your car, and you would never know it.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
If you got to see the dealer's paper work for the X-plan and the MSRP, what was the invoice shown on that paper work? I was comparing the X-plan vs. the invoice shown on the dealer's paper work (the DORA). Honestly, I never bothered to compare the dealer's invoice price vs. a third party like Edmunds invoice price.

I got mine back in September. The incentive back then, was 0% financing for 48 months. I don't think that Ford adjusts the X-plan prices, unless it also adjusts the MSRP. BTW, X-plan purchases get the same incentives. So, if there is a rebate, you get the rebate in addition to the X-plan price.
I didn't take note of the invoice price on the dealer's paper work, so not sure how it would compare to Edmunds's.

The incentives on the MMH expire tomorrow, so I won't be getting an '07. My current plan is to order an '08 FEH later in the year, and get it equipped just the way I want it. And maybe by then the X-Plan pins will be more available.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by braced
Not only that but, once you turn it on you have to manually turn it off. It will not reset itself when you shut down your vehicle. This bothers me on the passenger side because if someone activates it and then gets out without turning it off, it's on every time you start your car, and you would never know it.
Now, that is definitely one of my pet peeves about the vehicle. That, and the same seat heater switch (particularly the passenger seat one) seems to trip "on" just from the simple act of someone sitting in the vehicle, if they enter the vehicle at just the right way... (that, or my fat a@@ is sufficient to trigger it "on" automatically, which embarassingly enough, is entirely possible. Thankfully, I can blame a short-term condition, namely pregnancy, for most of that excess weight.)

At any rate, there should be a light or other notifier on the dash to indicate when one or both seat heaters are engaged. Personally, I can handle the button placement (I'm short and don't have that far a reach to get to it as the driver), but not the fact that I can only tell if the driver's side seat heater is on if a) I realize, "Okay, my tail feathers are on fire!" and/or b) if it's dark, and I'm parked/stopped, I can lean sideways a bit and see if the amber light is shining down in the recesses between the seat and door. And the passenger one? Almost impossible to tell as the driver, unless your passenger reports a) or you happen to lean on the unoccupied passenger seat and realize it's warmer than the surrounding leather. (Better yet, why not tie the passenger seat heater to the same circuit that detects if the airbag should be engaged/disengaged? If no one is the passenger seat, or someone very light, disable the seat heater...problem solved.)

A minor blemish, IMHO, but definitely one I hope they handled better/more elegantly in the '08 redesign.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
I didn't take note of the invoice price on the dealer's paper work, so not sure how it would compare to Edmunds's.

The incentives on the MMH expire tomorrow, so I won't be getting an '07. My current plan is to order an '08 FEH later in the year, and get it equipped just the way I want it. And maybe by then the X-Plan pins will be more available.
I pulled my DORA out (again) for reference. It has (in increasing order)...

A/Z Plan $29,282.70
D Plan $29,382.70
X Plan $30,690.75
Invoice $30,738.70
MSRP $32,330.00

I would not worry about the incentives. Actually, for me, the then newer incentives turned out to be even better; the 48 month rate dropped from 1.9% to 0%. I can't believe Ford and Mercury would actually reduce the overall value of the Escape and Mariner incentives at this time.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM

I agree about the heated seat switches!

I had not realized that they don't automatically turn 'off', either after a preset time limit or if you turn 'off' the car. Even the fog lights turn 'off' when you turn 'off' the car (which I wish they wouldn't)!

On my old Cherokee, when Jeep added heated seats to the option list, they put the switches on the center console, where the ash tray lid use to be. I can't believe that Ford nor Mercury couldn't have found a better place for these switches when they redesigned the center console back in '05.

They could have, at least, had the Message Center say "Heat Seat On". like it says "Speed Control On".

Anyway, for those waiting, the '08 moves these buttons (looks like the same buttons though), up to the center dash stack.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
(Better yet, why not tie the passenger seat heater to the same circuit that detects if the airbag should be engaged/disengaged? If no one is the passenger seat, or someone very light, disable the seat heater...problem solved.)

Wow, excellent idea!!!!