Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
Did we not all buy this hybrid to be greenER??!??
Nobody took the bait the first time so I'll take it this time....

I guess you feel replacing a transmission is "greener" than changing a few quarts of oil every couple years instead of every few?

I change my oil way ahead of the 10k miles the manufacturer recommends. My used oil is recycled. Besides, over the life of the machine, it will amount to what, an extra five or ten gallons of oil? Big deal.

If the OP (or me for that matter) feel that the extra insurance and peace of mind that an early lubricant change gives, then that is our business. We don't need preachy lectures about "harming mother earth". That kind of superior than thou attitude makes ME want to go out and key a hybrid.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I didn't buy a Hybrid to be greener! I like the engineering and the fuel savings. A case could be made that if you wanted to be "greener" you should live off the grid with no modern conveniences, like 1750 with out fire.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The fluid in the eCVT is for lubrication and cooling purposes only, for this reason I would change it every 30K.
There's a big difference between "filled for life." as the owner's manual states, and changing the fluid every 30K miles. I'm now concerned that I should change the eCVT fluid on a scheduled basis. I don't understand why the big change from what Ford recommends. Can you explain this any further? Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
There's a big difference between "filled for life." as the owner's manual states, and changing the fluid every 30K miles. I'm now concerned that I should change the eCVT fluid on a scheduled basis. I don't understand why the big change from what Ford recommends. Can you explain this any further? Thanks.
Don, follow the recommendations of Ford and not the yahoo's on this board. There may be a eCVT transmission fluid that Ford changes to that would be better such as a new low-drag transaxle fluid. Ford has changed the fluid in the '10 Fusion Hybrids. That may be a reason to change prior eCVT transaxle fluids if you want a reason.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...reviews-n.html

GaryG

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Originally Posted by GaryG
Don, follow the recommendations of Ford and not the yahoo's on this board. There may be a eCVT transmission fluid that Ford changes to that would be better such as a new low-drag transaxle fluid. Ford has changed the fluid in the '10 Fusion Hybrids. That may be a reason to change prior eCVT transaxle fluids if you want a reason.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...reviews-n.html

GaryG
I'm with Gary on this one. If the guys that engineered the car say don't... then I wont. I guess I'm the "by the book" kind of guy.

As for taking the bait... THANKS! but sorry it made you go all violent. I think your car might be the closest to key so go make it a good one!

Last edited by way2muchkc4u; 12-03-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Maintenance guides are MINIMUM requirements, just because the guide doesnt say to change a fluid does not equate to you should not change it. Do as you like, its your SUV, as for me I will be changing mine at 30K

Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Going to throw my two cents in here.....

1. I'm currious to find out what the NYC Taxi Cabs are doing about transmission fluid. I mean, some of those cabs must be up around 300,000 miles by now. Our FEH's have two basic mantenance schedules, normal and extreme. I'd consider Taxi's as "super extreme" but still would like to know what their schedule is.

2. I was planning on taking a small sample of my tranny fluid at 60K miles and sending it to Blackstone labs for chemical comparison with unused fluid. That $20 would help me determine when/if I would change the fluid.

3. Once the new tranny fluid comes out I may consider changing to that mix. If it turns out to be better for the eCVT and FE it would outweigh, IMHO, the few quarts of fluid waste.

4. I personally would still consider using either Amsoil or Royal Purple for the Transmission and Differential fluids depending on various factors such as the Blackstone analysis, the new Ford tranny fluid specs and if others have sucessfully used A or RP with no mechanical issues.

Lots of options here and truely, there are no right or wrong answers at this point. Just our opinions.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by twolostminds
Going to throw my two cents in here.....

1. I'm currious to find out what the NYC Taxi Cabs are doing about transmission fluid. I mean, some of those cabs must be up around 300,000 miles by now. Our FEH's have two basic mantenance schedules, normal and extreme. I'd consider Taxi's as "super extreme" but still would like to know what their schedule is.

2. I was planning on taking a small sample of my tranny fluid at 60K miles and sending it to Blackstone labs for chemical comparison with unused fluid. That $20 would help me determine when/if I would change the fluid.

3. Once the new tranny fluid comes out I may consider changing to that mix. If it turns out to be better for the eCVT and FE it would outweigh, IMHO, the few quarts of fluid waste.

4. I personally would still consider using either Amsoil or Royal Purple for the Transmission and Differential fluids depending on various factors such as the Blackstone analysis, the new Ford tranny fluid specs and if others have sucessfully used A or RP with no mechanical issues.

Lots of options here and truely, there are no right or wrong answers at this point. Just our opinions.
Hi Mike

My '05 FEH owners manual states: "This vehicle uses only Motorcraft MERCON (red) ATF." Part Number N/A

My '09 FEH owners manual states: "This vehicle uses only Motorcraft MERCON LV ATF." The Ford Part Number / Ford Specification is now XT-10-QLV / MERCON LV.

I read this as these two ATF are required and we don't have a choice. Our '09 FEH/MMH has the new Low-Drag ATF the FFH will have. The question is can earlier model FEH/MMH change to the Low-Drag ATF.

Anyone with an '08 FEH/MMH can verify what your manual states about ATF?

GaryG

Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Gary - here's what my 08 MMH manual says:

Automatic eCVT transaxle fluid
5.3 quarts (5.0L) Motorcraft MERCON V ATF
Ford Part number: XT-5-QM / MERCON V

"Using any transmission fluid other than those that meet the recommended specification may cause
internal transaxle damage. Do not use Motorcraft MERCONŽ CVT (blue) ATF. This vehicle uses
only Motorcraft MERCONŽ V ATF"

Last edited by bmisf; 12-05-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by bmisf
Gary - here's what my 08 MMH manual says:

Automatic eCVT transaxle fluid
5.3 quarts (5.0L) Motorcraft MERCON V ATF
Ford Part number: XT-5-QM / MERCON V

"Using any transmission fluid other than those that meet the recommended specification may cause
internal transaxle damage. Do not use Motorcraft MERCONŽ CVT (blue) ATF. This vehicle uses
only Motorcraft MERCONŽ V ATF"
Thanks bmisf

The reason I wanted to know the spec on the MERCON ATF in the '08 was to compare it to the spec on the '09 FEH ATF. There was no mention of Low-Drag on the new '09 FEH MERCON LV ATF on the Motorcraft website, but it was a new change from the MERCON V.

I read a statement from Ford stating there was no other ATF that they consider meeting the specifications of MERCON ATF.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Time to change Auto Tranny Fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands