Towing MMH four wheels down

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Towing MMH four wheels down

Just purchased a new 2007 MMH. All info I can get, including the owner's manual, states the unit can be towed four wheels down. In my case, behind a motorhome. Is anyone doing this?

Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Default Re: Towing MMH four wheels down

The FEH/MMH can be towed only in neutral up to 75mph with all 4 wheels down. I use neutral all the time for gliding.

GaryG

Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

GaryG, while you are coasting in neutral, I assume the engine is running (change that to "the key is on"). In my situation the key will be off. How does the transmission stay lubicated without the key being on? I have found a post on rv.net by some saying they have towed a FEH for over 6500 miles without a problem. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bg1811
GaryG, while you are coasting in neutral, I assume the engine is running (change that to "the key is on"). In my situation the key will be off. How does the transmission stay lubicated without the key being on? I have found a post on rv.net by some saying they have towed a FEH for over 6500 miles without a problem. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.
Bill, you cannot enter neutral without turning the key on (no starting required). This allows the wheels to disconnect from the output shaft of the eCVT in neutral. Once you have disconnected in neutral, you will not reconnect till you move the shifter and turn the key on and start the engine. The engine will not start till you put the shifter back in Park. In addition, there is no gear engagement in forward or reverse if the vehicle is not started according to the manual (section 307-01B-2 & 3).

There is no power going through the eCVT while in neutral according to the workshop manuals, but I see the small generator charging the HV battery when the ICE is running. I have coasted in neutral in both key-on and key-off and it coast the same.

Since I was the one who discovered "N" coasting benifits in Dec. 05, I do it every chance I get (~50 times a day). My eCVT was checked out last month by a Ford certified Hybrid Tech, and he said my fluid looked new, and everything else he checked was perfect. My FEH was towed to the shop and the PCM had to be reprogrammed for a computer glitch according to the tech. They let me stay with the tech during the repair process.

IMHO, I would tow my FEH accross the Country in neutal behind a RV any day.

GaryG

Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't believe trnasmissiont have any sort of oil pump etc. I believe they remain lubricated because the parts that are rotating will pull the transmission fluid up into them (bascially the bottom of the gear would be down in the fluid. No pumps or anything needed... the parts that do rotate in "N" would still be lubricated. (Thats from what I know of NORMAL transmissions--which admittedly I'm not an expert on).

Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Enthusiast

We'll soon find out. I'm going to get it set up for towing in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll be towing it to New Orleans and then on to Sarasota, Florida. The two main suppliers for tow setups are Blue Ox and Roadmaster. Both of them list base plates (the hardware that attaches to car) for the Mercury Mariner Hybrid. That would indicate there is a market for these. I also heard back from a RVer who is pulling a FEH and he has now towed it about 8,000 miles without any problem. He advised me that he just puts it in neutral and turns the key back one notch and takes off.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Bill, you cannot enter neutral without turning the key on (no starting required).
Are you sure about that?

I thought you can move the shifter from out of "P", and into "N", with just turning the key from the "Lock" to "Off" position; no need to turn it all the way to "On".

Old 12-18-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Are you sure about that?

I thought you can move the shifter from out of "P", and into "N", with just turning the key from the "Lock" to "Off" position; no need to turn it all the way to "On".
Just went out and tried it again, and I had turn the key to the power mode and press the brake pedal to take it out of Park. The next position is start. This doesn't mean latter models haven't changed the system, yours may work another way.

My thinking is the 12V battery is needed for the electric disconnect of the wheels and the brake pedal sensors before you could move the shifter from Park. Anyone else agree?

GaryG

Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

This is getting off my original topic......but......since it is I have a couple more questions (being the newby I am). When you open the driver's door on the MMH, you hear a brief noise. Sounds like a small pump or something like that. What is that? Secondly, the owner's manual states the car has two electric motors. One is for the EV mode which I understand. The manual says the other is to start the engine. How does this differ than the regular starter engine. I notice the starting of the engine sounds differently than a regular engine...no grinding sound.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM

This is getting off my original topic......but......since it is I have a couple more questions (being the newby I am). When you open the driver's door on the MMH, you hear a brief noise. Sounds like a small pump or something like that. What is that? Secondly, the owner's manual states the car has two electric motors. One is for the EV mode which I understand. The manual says the other is to start the engine. How does this differ than the regular starter engine. I notice the starting of the engine sounds differently than a regular engine...no grinding sound.
The first is a pump to pressurize the brakes I think thats on the FAQ if not it should be.

One motor is to drive the wheels the second is really a generator. The engine turns the generator to sometimes charge the battery, provide electrical power for the 12V accessories (stepped down from 330V) and also to provide current to the drive motor for going down the road. When you are driving power from the engine goes through two paths, one is directly throught the wheels the other is through this generator, making electricity and to the electric drive motor. By balancinc the power sent both ways the engine controller can "shift gears" without shifting actual gears. Power can also be syphoned from the battery for quick bursts of acceleration.

This generator can also run in reverse as a motor and is used to start the engine. Its not an alternator or a starter motor because its more powerful and serves both purposes really.

Quick Reply: Towing MMH four wheels down

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands