What do people think of Escape AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What do people think of Escape AWD?

The only real improvement I could think of for the FEH F/awd system would be to convert it to a R/awd during the times that only 2WD is needed. A second improvement might be a rear mechanical LSD. But since it now has TC & VSC it very likely has a rear "virtual" LSD (individual wheel braking w/engine dethrottling), and possibly even a "soft" front LSD.

The major shortcoming of these "virtual" LSDs, or even overall traction control (all four wheels "loose"), is the need to dethrottle the engine to prevent brake component overheating and the subsequent rotor warpage.

Many newer TC systems can be disabled so that wheelspin can sometimes be used to get unstuck.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM

This thread is about your thoughts on the AWD Escape Hybrid VEHICLE not the AWD system.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I sure like my 08! Mine's pretty much loaded, and I like all the goodies too. The GPS/NAV system is my favorite of all those I've seen. I've had it in snow, on ice, in mud, on beaches, and about 25,000 mi of pavement, and it goes where I drive it and stops where I stop it. Turning radius sucks though! (My Explorers were all noticably better)

I carry my tools (and more junk that I probably shouldn't carry) and it's a great vehicle for me.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hcbflash
I sure like my 08! Mine's pretty much loaded, and I like all the goodies too. The GPS/NAV system is my favorite of all those I've seen. I've had it in snow, on ice, in mud, on beaches, and about 25,000 mi of pavement, and it goes where I drive it and stops where I stop it. Turning radius sucks though! (My Explorers were all noticably better)

I carry my tools (and more junk that I probably shouldn't carry) and it's a great vehicle for me.
FWD and F/awd vehicles have 2 CV joints on each side which restricts the turning circle. In some cases U-joints (CHEAPER/Chrysler/Jeep) which are even worse.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's quite nice to have when temperatures start to warm up. This was taken in the garage today.

Name:  0514091939a.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  145.0 KB

I've had less work done on it then I had on my previous vehicle, it's tough as a rock, cuts through snow with ease, transports all my work equipment and carpool people without cramping anyone, in short, exactly what I need it to do.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 05-14-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Megageek

I have an '06, bought in July '05 and now have over 80K on it. By far, the best vehicle I have ever known. The only issue I had was the rear suspension noise that was fairly common. In terms of the drive train, never a single issue. I intend to drive this vehicle until I can't drive it no more!

BTW, I still have the original tires with probably another 10-15K left in them. Pump 'em up to 40 and they last!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

My wife and I took a test drive the other day in an Escape Hybrid. I was surprised to find so little information available on the standard "message center." What data is available there? I was told by two dealers that the only way to electronically track and display MPG performance is with the optional "Energy Audiophile and Nav system. Please tell me this isn't so!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

The message center (in my MMH08 anyway) includes A and B tripmeters, odometer, mpg calculator, miles to empty, a cell-phone like bar chart of current fuel economy, and a system check including oil life. I might have missed something. It circles through the information as you press the info button to the left of the steering column. You can reset the mpg calculator whenever you want. It tends to read about .8 above manual calculation by tank for me.