What Should I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: What Should I Do?

I wish I could tape record it for you!
It certainly could be internal "rattle".
I can't be real specific... but it coincides with the clutch starting.
Thanks. -John

Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

What you describe "a rattle" sounds like a compressor that is getting a little worn but could last a very long time. When it gets a little warmer you might try having someone add 1 oz of the proper weight refrigerant oil. Also there are some special oils that quiet the compressors, you might consider one of those. Some of the oils can be added "DIY" and come as a kit with a hose that you hook to the low side and inject it into the system. BG makes a product called Frigi-Quiet, I have not used it but BG makes good products and it might do the trick.

If you think it is the clutch they tend to make a screeching sound because they are not fully engaging. That could be a worn clutch but that would be very consistent.

Hope this helps

Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

The lube oil in the compressor is carried by the freon so some times you will get a rattle until the freon circulates and redistributes the oil. It can be worse when you are 1) low on freon 2) low on oil charge or both. Oil charge has to be very carefully measured because to much oil can DRAMATICALLY affect cooling performance.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM

That does. THANK YOU.

My understanding of A/C is not one of my strengths.
It sounds like a rattle or chatter... like...like.... tires on a washboard road is all I can think of... and just for 2-3 seconds each time.

I had no idea 'oil' could fix this.
Why didn't my dealer try that!?
-John

Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
The lube oil in the compressor is carried by the freon so some times you will get a rattle until the freon circulates and redistributes the oil. It can be worse when you are 1) low on freon 2) low on oil charge or both. Oil charge has to be very carefully measured because to much oil can DRAMATICALLY affect cooling performance.

Thanks for providing another educational session. Too bad we can't develop an on-line course on various topics.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I do what I can, I'm not right all the time but I have 30 years experience with high tech cars. I have been thinking about writing a book about hybrids and the new technologies but really dont know where to start.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I am 99% my A/C compressor has something wrong.
I do not think the clutch is working correctly.
The times it goes on this time of year are few.
But when it does, it chatters and makes all kinds of grinding noise.

I took it to the dealer to get the HV battery wire "fix".
At the same time I asked them to repair/replace the A/C clutch after I described the symptoms in detail.

I'm at 58,600 miles out of my 60,000 Ford ESP.

The dealer says nothing is wrong with the A/C clutch and won't touch it.
I'm sure when summer rolls around and I need this every day it is going to fail. Plus the grinding and chattering sounds are disconcerting, even if the A/C is cooling properly... for the time being.

What should I do? What can I do? I feel I "know" my car best... and I think the dealer is trying to put this off until after 60k.

What do you think? I will be at 60k in about 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-John
What Brooke said.

Have dealer put it writing that A/C clutch is fine. Ask them to give an estimate of life left (also in writing). To be fair, all you need from dealer is that A/C clutch is not going to go out any time soon and by soon, let say 5K miles. With the assumption from both side that if a failure occurs it occurs do to a wear issue and not due to an accident or damage from an accident. That way if it does go out soon after 60K, you have documented proof that you wanted this replaced prior to warranty ending. If it goes out at 66K, I say you are out of luck.

Last edited by livvie; 01-29-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Angry Re: What Should I Do?

Do they put yellow neon ( flourescent ) dye in the 134a refridgerant lines?

I had a bright yellow puddle on the ground at the rear of my FEH today.
Felt "oily" and smelled terrible.
I was runnning the car in the driveway with A/C on for about 10 minutes while I was working under the hood ( experiments ), and I didn't want the engine to shut off. It was a 60 degree day.

I think there is a pin-hole leak in the lines for the HV battery.
This is the first time I really "pressured up" the system since my Jan 28th service date with the dealer when I complained about compressor noise and they 'couldn't find anything wrong'.

So to Mark, if my pressure was not low to begin with, it may be low soon.
What will this do to my compressor "sounds"?
Of course, I just past my 60,000 miles ESP last week.
-John

Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM
It is easy being green

my ford tec s.o. said that it sounds like freon. but when your out of your warranty your out of your warranty. he said that you can try complaining to your dealership and they may help out of there own pockets, but there is no guarntee they will help out. your best bet is to try to talk to the service manager and say that the problem should have been documented when you had them look at the car for the concern at your 58k. oh and be very nice, the nicer you are the more they want to help. he also said that the a/c compressor has a fail safe mode so if the pressure is too low it will not turn on.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

So to Mark, if my pressure was not low to begin with, it may be low soon.
What will this do to my compressor "sounds"?
When you run low enough the compressor will not turn on, until then it will cycle depending on the temp outside. The magic number is 29 psi on the low side once it gets there it will shut down till the pressure rises to 38 psi. as to the noise, might not be that much louder because you are already oil starving the compressor. Unless you drive on salted roads I would doubt that the metal hose got a hole in it. Most likely you have a leaking oring seal at the rear. Have you had this rear system worked on before? Allot of times since the orings don't come in a part # they are in a bulk bin with other orings you might have gotten an incorrect size oring or they could not find the right one and used it over. I find the orings leak WAY before the metal lines, except in cases of corrosion. See if you can see where the yellow oil is coming from as that is the dye they put in the system. BTW rear A/C system leaks are overlooked all the time, most cars don't have them so most techs don't think about it!

Quick Reply: What Should I Do?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands