Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Will your Ford/Mercury service dept. use a different blend motor oil (ie..0W-20 instead of 5W-20) if asked?

Does anyone use a 0W-20 oil instead of 5W-20?

Will other oil change shops do it?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Asked my local Ford dealer about changing to full synth (5W-20) at the first oil change. The service advisor said to bring in whatever oil I wanted and they would use it. I did change to Mobil-1. I don't know how they would respond to 0W-20 if I brought that in.

My local independent oil change shop will use whatever oil I ask them to use, and they have it all in stock.

I'm a little paranoid about using 0W-20 while the FEH is under the drivetrain warranty. I have this fear that if there were a mechanical failure in the engine, oil viscosity is one thing the dealer could easily check that might disallow a warranty claim.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Asked my local Ford dealer about changing to full synth (5W-20) at the first oil change. The service advisor said to bring in whatever oil I wanted and they would use it. I did change to Mobil-1. I don't know how they would respond to 0W-20 if I brought that in.

My local independent oil change shop will use whatever oil I ask them to use, and they have it all in stock.

I'm a little paranoid about using 0W-20 while the FEH is under the drivetrain warranty. I have this fear that if there were a mechanical failure in the engine, oil viscosity is one thing the dealer could easily check that might disallow a warranty claim.
Yea, I'm a little bit on the nervous side about going with a 0W-20 oil. I am hoping people who use it regularly will reply to this thread.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is there really enough of a viscosity change between 5w and 0w that it would make a mileage difference.

It wasn't so long ago everyone wanted 10w when the vehicle starts.

I use 0 w 20 mobil synthetic in my snow blower, It didnt seem any thinner going in then 5 w 20. Maybe at 0 degrees it could be different?

I am going to use the synthetic blend until 5000 miles, I am having my oil changed today at 2500 miles. At 5K I will switch to Mobil Synthetic. Probably 5 w 20 unless someone proves otherwise.

I will probably still change oil every 3k miles and use my old oil in my lawnmowers so fourth. That seems to work out very well, and a little like recycling.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Is there really enough of a viscosity change between 5w and 0w that it would make a mileage difference.

It wasn't so long ago everyone wanted 10w when the vehicle starts.

I use 0 w 20 mobil synthetic in my snow blower, It didnt seem any thinner going in then 5 w 20. Maybe at 0 degrees it could be different?

I am going to use the synthetic blend until 5000 miles, I am having my oil changed today at 2500 miles. At 5K I will switch to Mobil Synthetic. Probably 5 w 20 unless someone proves otherwise.

I will probably still change oil every 3k miles and use my old oil in my lawnmowers so fourth. That seems to work out very well, and a little like recycling.
I did the first oil change at 5k and went with Castrol GTX 5W-20. Then at 10K I switch to Mobil-1 5W-20 and plan to stay with that on a 10k change interval.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Red face Re: Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

API/SAE 0w-20 vs. 5w-20

The key number in these motor oil grades is the second one. It means that each of these oil grades measures the same kinematic viscosity ("20") at a temperature of 212F (temperature that viscosity measurement is conducted). The first number, which includes the w (w=winter), is a measure of pumping ability or "flow" at cold start conditions. It may be beneficial to have an oil that "flows" better during a cold start and warm-up period because more lubrication will be performed during the time that most engine wear occurs. The lower the w number the colder the oil will "flow". Anyway, SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Standard J300 defines the tests for all this. In summary, if either of these oils were pulled from a failed engine and tested for viscosity - to contest a warranty claim - they should measure the same, because thats how they measured when they went into the engine.

Perhaps the more important index for warranty issues in the API (American Petoleum Institute) service class. The oil to should be "SJ" or newer. (SL, SM, etc.) Service classes that start with "C" like (CF) are rated for commercial/diesel engines. Oils can be rated for both classes.

For instance, a current bottle of Mobil 1 0w-20 claims to meet "API SM/CF" classification. API class refers to a range of laboratory and in-engine tests.

Last edited by glennb; 12-06-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Glenn,

While you are very close to correct, your understanding is a little backwards...

The first number IS actually the true viscosity of the oil. The second number (the one after the W) is what the oil protects (acts) like at the 212 temp via additives. The "W" actually stands for "winter" , indicating a multi viscosity for winter use (cold and hot temperatures).

So there is a BIG difference between a 5W20 and a 0W20 viscosity-wise, even though you may not see it as you pour them from a bottle.

respectfully,
08FEH

Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Glenn,

While you are very close to correct, your understanding is a little backwards...

The first number IS actually the true viscosity of the oil. The second number (the one after the W) is what the oil protects (acts) like at the 212 temp via additives. The "W" actually stands for "winter" , indicating a multi viscosity for winter use (cold and hot temperatures).

So there is a BIG difference between a 5W20 and a 0W20 viscosity-wise, even though you may not see it as you pour them from a bottle.

respectfully,
08FEH
Sean-
I don't want to confuse how a multi-grade motor oil is made with how it performs its lubrication duty.

How it performs (as measured by kinematic viscosity) is reflected in the tests that determine what SAE grade it is given. (see attached table) A multi-grade motor oil should display the viscosity(s) listed in the table, under the established test conditions. I don’t see the BIG viscosity difference between the 5W-20 and the 0W-20, other than 0W flows (pours) a little better at cold temperatures. What am I missing?

Attached Files
Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 AM

I'm not implying that you missed anything.

I was just clarifying for the readers that a 0W oil is a 0 wt oil, regardless of how you additize it.
I think Ford is calling for a 5 wt oil for a reason. It is easy to see that you are quite a bit educated on oils and their properties. I am sure you would agree that using a 0 wt oil in any machine that has tolerances designed for a 5 wt oil could have detrimental effects, especially in regards to protection.
In Ford's interest of squeeking every mpg out of the vehicle (safely and reliably), I feel if they could have gotten away with the lower "drag" of a 0 wt over a 5 wt, they would have... UNLESS it wasn't able to protect as well in their engine design.

08FEH

Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
It is easy to see that you are quite a bit educated on oils and their properties.
This is not about me.

I am sure you would agree that using a 0 wt oil in any machine that has tolerances designed for a 5 wt oil could have detrimental effects, especially in regards to protection.

I do agree, and I think you may be onto something, but from the table it seems that 0W-20 and 5W-20 have the same minimum viscosity properties. [which addresses the OP's question ] Can someone point out the mechanical property of the oil that differs and relates to dimensional tolerances and lubrication? Just curious myself.

Quick Reply: Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands