XM and the nav system

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default XM and the nav system

Anyone added xm or sirus sat radio to the Nav system? Any tips or traps?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: XM and the nav system

I have Sirius in both my Escape (although I swapped to an aftermarket NAV unit) & on my Harley. I researched a TON on whether to go XM or Sirius & EVERYBODY recommended Sirius.

I don't think it matters now as I hear the two companies are combining by years end.

~John

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM

I've got a Sirius tuner on my dash. I hardwired it to the CD changer along with my MP3 player by using an X3 adapter. I previously used the FM modulator built in, but found that in a big city there was too much interference on the radio stations. Since I wanted to hardwired my MP3 player anyway, the X3 was the best choice. The same situation would apply to any XM product as well since the NAV has NO aux inputs and supports NO satelite tuners.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

What is an X3

Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
What is an X3
It is a PIE X3 audio adapter that "expands" the existing aux input used by the CD changer.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm just starting to research this same topic for installation of Sirius in our '07 FEH with Nav system. From my searches on the forum, correct me if I'm wrong, the satelite info will not will not be displayed when connected to Nav and the only way to install it is through the CD changer using a PIE adapter? I went to the PIE site and it seems the X3-FRDW is the correct one to use. http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=97&bc=no

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I have Sirius in both my Escape (although I swapped to an aftermarket NAV unit) & on my Harley. I researched a TON on whether to go XM or Sirius & EVERYBODY recommended Sirius.

I don't think it matters now as I hear the two companies are combining by years end.

~John
FYI: May not happen & if it does you may need to buy new gear to take advantage of the new offers after they merge:
http://news.com.com/XM%2C+Sirius+unv....html?tag=item

Old 07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

My wifes gas hog (Trailblazer) has XM so I got this offer for a Delphi Roady XT for $5.99 so I bit. The family takes the FEH now on trips so I figured we might like to have a XM in it also. Plus I get a discount on the subscription which is basicaly 1/2 price.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM

As mentioned, the PIE X3 plugs in between the radio and the changer under the seat. It is basically an audio switch that allows you to add 3 inputs to the cd Changer. Your radio must be set to "CD" mode and you use the X3 switch to flip between the changer and whatever you have connected. The CD screen remains displayed on the radio and the CD's in the changer continue to spin. You will hear the changer flip between discs if you pay attention. The CD display on the radio will continue to display the disc and track number and lapsed playback time as well. I always just switch the display to show something else like MPG. You'll need a plus-and-play type Satelite radio with a display and controls on it as no information is passed to the radio and none of the controls short of the volume will do anything.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Tim. You cleared it all up.