Yakima LowRider on '07 FEH ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Yakima LowRider on '07 FEH ?

Originally Posted by econoline
How did you get the tracks on your '06? Was that an option or did both the FE and FEH come that way standard?
Not sure.... I have a the high level option package.... I'm not sure if they call that a premium or what. In '06 that came with tracks in the roof.

Last edited by TeeSter; 05-03-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I used the Control Towers on My '98 Nissan Quest. The cool thing about using this set up is once you get the base postioned in the track, you can remove the tower and rails in a heart beat. with the '07-08 racks you would effectively have a higher center of Gravity and put more stress on the rails themselves.

Name:  boyz.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  89.1 KB
As for hauling my bikes, I think I'm going to install a hitch and use my hitchmount Yakima bike carrier.

I want the rack set up to utilize my cargo box and to transport my kayaks. I have a '00 4.9L V-8 Dodge Dakota now to haul my toys but my monthly gas bill these days is HUGE. Plus the FEH is simply more fun to drive.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
N/A

Hitch rack is great for 1 or 2 bikes and might limit the mileage hit if you take trips to ride in other places. I'm pretty sure I'm taking a 3-4 MPG beating at 75 MPH with 2-4 bikes on top.

Hitch rack is not for me, however. I had one on my Prius for 2 seasons and it was a hassle loading, unloading and securing bikes. I have a gas Escape-owning friend who has both. He uses the hitch rack for 2 bikes and then 2 more can go on the roof if needed.

Not sure about the load. Rails spread weight over six points, versus only 4 if attached directly to roof tracks. Probably doesn't make a difference under 150 lbs but I think I'd want it on the rails to spread the load out if I was hauling a gear box. That might be a good question to ask Yakima.

Center of gravity would definitely be a lower with tracks. Plus it would make the bikes easier to get on and off. I'm 6'1" and I have to stand on the sill of an open rear door to put the inner bikes on. I'm seriously considering the new style factory side step bars for my '08 to aid in loading.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mtberman
Not sure about the load. Rails spread weight over six points, versus only 4 if attached directly to roof tracks. Probably doesn't make a difference under 150 lbs but I think I'd want it on the rails to spread the load out if I was hauling a gear box. That might be a good question to ask Yakima.
Yakima has the load limits buried on their website. Max weight is 100lbs for the LowRider/factory rack setup, and 165lbs for the Control Tower/tracks setup.

One thing I'm not clear on though, with the tracks, does the Landing Pad sit directly on the roof and carry the weight or is the weight actually supported by the track itself?

Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Load is transferred via the mounting plates which draw up on the track when it's tightened. I can snap some pics for visual if you need them. But ya the Towers "in Track" are better than the "strap on method" even if they have 6 points versuses the 4 points. lower profile, better weight distribution.

Think of it like a Peenus. which is going to perform better? the real one low pro, or the mechanical one strapped on. Think low.

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 05-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yakima has the load limits buried on their website. Max weight is 100lbs for the LowRider/factory rack setup, and 165lbs for the Control Tower/tracks setup.

One thing I'm not clear on though, with the tracks, does the Landing Pad sit directly on the roof and carry the weight or is the weight actually supported by the track itself?
PM me Eco. I have details. I am versed in all things roof rack.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Load limits are just one of the considerations, meaning load is how much weight can i stack up here before my roof dents?

Another thing is, forgive me, for lack of a better term is wind management. Meaning if I am hauling X load on my roof, how fast will I go before my rack is ripped off due to windshear?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hitch rack is great for 1 or 2 bikes and might limit the mileage hit if you take trips to ride in other places. I'm pretty sure I'm taking a 3-4 MPG beating at 75 MPH with 2-4 bikes on top.

Hitch rack is not for me, however. I had one on my Prius for 2 seasons and it was a hassle loading, unloading and securing bikes. I have a gas Escape-owning friend who has both. He uses the hitch rack for 2 bikes and then 2 more can go on the roof if needed.

Center of gravity would definitely be a lower with tracks. Plus it would make the bikes easier to get on and off. I'm 6'1" and I have to stand on the sill of an open rear door to put the inner bikes on. I'm seriously considering the new style factory side step bars for my '08 to aid in loading.
Hit me up IM ASAP. We're moving to Ogden pretty soon and i want to find some trails out there besides Moab, Fishlake Mtns and all the places I know on the westside of the Rockies.

P>S: what is your mtb?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM

If you are willing to pay the change... Thule T2 hitch rack.... can hold 4 bikes with an extension, folds against the back of the vehicle when empty, and the bikes go on and lock (locks are built into the rack) in about 20-30 seconds max with a ratchet mechanism instead of straps. The front wheels are also secured. As an added nice feature, you can tip the rack down and still open the back hatch with the bike still ON THE RACK. Very nice... but pricey. Still I find its worth it!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

Okay, I went to my local Ford dealer today and got the complete story. They had an '07 FEH and '07 FE sitting side by side, so I could easily compare the racks. Here is what I found:
  1. Hole to hole spacing is identical between FEH rack and FE track, so I'm 99% sure the track could replace the rack.
  2. Dealer has the FE tracks available, but non-returnable for $66 ea,and we need two.
  3. There are six mounting bolts per rack/track and these will have to be replaced as the ones for the track are shorter, so that's $2.43 ea x 12.
  4. The roof rail nut, which is the part inset into the roof is identical for rack or track, so we are okay there.
  5. Total cost is $161 from the dealer and it's all non-returnable if something doesn't work out. FordParts.com has the same items for $113 but I don't know what their return policy is.
The tracks do look sleeker and have a higher weight limit, but this is the type of project that could go badly wrong, so I'm still considering. What I might do is pay a visit to my local wrecking yard and see if I could pull the tracks off a junker.
Hi, New to the forum. I too have been entertaining the idea of switching out the 07 racks for 06 tracks. Please let me know if you get to see one in a junk yard. My concern is about the nuts you refer to. I want to see how they are installed. Are they on the inside of the roof? Will they fall onto the roof liner if the bolts are removed? Will I need to remove the roof liner to re-install them? Do I need to use RTV to seal out weather? ETC. Hopefully the entire system is external but until I find out I'm not touching a thing! If I find out the answers to any of these questions or end up going through with it I'll post answers along with some pics of the process. I mounted Yakima tracks to my Honda CR-V by drilling holes but my FEH is MUCH newer so no holes anytime soon. BTW Yakima does not template new cars for their tracks. Guess it was too much of a liability issue!

Quick Reply: Yakima LowRider on '07 FEH ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands