Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

EPA's "Real-World" Milage database

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default EPA's "Real-World" Milage database

While the Mileage database in GH is great for those Hybrid enthusiasts that frequant this site, I periodically check out the EPA's "Real World" database
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....ion=browseList as I figure more researchers may check out that site. I would encourage anyone posting mileage on GH also cross post to the EPA site, for this reason

Just checked it and found of those that have posted there, the '06 HCH has higher MPG then the '06 Prius, which is just the opposite of what I consider the more accurate GH database.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: EPA's "Real-World" Milage database

Honda did say that in real world driving the HCH would be slightly better than a Prius. Keep in mind that people who post on GH are not the typical hybrid driver. We are a small minority.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by lkewin
... I periodically check out the EPA's "Real World" database
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....ion=browseList ...

Just checked it and found of those that have posted there, the '06 HCH has higher MPG then the '06 Prius, which is just the opposite of what I consider the more accurate GH database.
The sample size is quite small to be drawing conclusions from, 8 HCHs and only 5 Prius'.

Check out the 05 Prius (virually identical to the 06): 79 vechicals, 47.5 mpg avg, low of 32 mpg, and a high of 61 mpg. (similar to the GH RMDB)

Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

I added all my data today. It was very easy to do. Should show 10 cars in data base soon. Actual MPG is always better data then EPA estimates, plus as our cars get broken in, MPG should improve.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: EPA's "Real-World" Milage database

Originally Posted by lkewin
. . .I periodically check out the EPA's "Real World" database
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....ion=browseList as I figure more researchers may check out that site. I would encourage anyone posting mileage on GH also cross post to the EPA site, for this reason

. . .
This is an opportunity for the new owners. They might contact the EPA web master and find out _IF_ there is any interest in sharing GH data with them. GH has more details which means it will always be more useful. However, providing the EPA with a synopsis would considerably improve the quailty of their data. It would be right thing to do.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Everyone should post their data there. When I found it, I again dug up an old thread encouraging everyone to share their tank data there as well.

The system updates every Monday. I'm the FEH AWD from MI.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I checked out the EPA site, and in the primary vehicle listing found the 06 Prius, but not the 06 HCH.
When selecting 'compare 2 vehicles side by side' for 06 PII and HCH, these average user MPG values are listed:
HCH 44.9 (n=9)
PII 45.8 (n=6),
so, the HCH has lower mileage than PII, just like on GH, though the difference is smaller.
Add the 05 PII, and it has a consumer average of 47.5 (n=80), very close to GH, and the 05 HCH-CVT comes in at 44.9 (n=12), also very close to GH.

Last edited by MGBGT; 02-09-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by MGBGT
I checked out the EPA site, and in the primary vehicle listing found the 06 Prius, but not the 06 HCH.
When selecting 'compare 2 vehicles side by side' for 06 PII and HCH, these average user MPG values are listed:
HCH 44.9 (n=9)
PII 45.8 (n=6),
so, the HCH has lower mileage than PII, just like on GH, though the difference is smaller.
Add the 05 PII, and it has a consumer average of 47.5 (n=80), very close to GH, and the 05 HCH-CVT comes in at 44.9 (n=12), also very close to GH.
The 44.9 you list is for the 2006 HCHII https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG....3&browser=true

I had checked this just last week and the HCH was actually higher then the PII, so guess a prius owner with good MPG added their mileage.