Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

My Best Milage ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
FEH Tsaritsa
Default Re: My Best Milage ever

Originally Posted by rml
Hardly, I genuinely thought hybrids got around 100mpg. I want to either get or make an EV in the future - if I can't or none suitable are available then I will be looking at a hybrid.
Some hybrids do get 100mpg (or more!) - it depends on the model (there are, I believe now at least 10), the individual vehicle, & the driver. If you have a light touch with your right foot, you sound like a good candidate for a hybrid.

My mpg, as you can see below, is 39.4 - sounds pretty sad, until you realize I'm driving a Ford Escape Hybrid SUV (EPA rating: 36 City, 31 Highway).

Good luck with your search!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rml
Hardly, I genuinely thought hybrids got around 100mpg. I want to either get or make an EV in the future - if I can't or none suitable are available then I will be looking at a hybrid.
Sorry about the assumption. Some people probably get that kind of mileage, but I doubt that it's easily attainable under normal driving conditions. As technology improves (specifically batteries) it will probably start getting more common.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: My Best Milage ever

Hi,

Originally Posted by rml
It depends upon how you drive them. Here is one of MPG vs. MPH curves from my out-of-date, 03 Prius that hopefully will give you some ideas:

Last year, some Prius drivers achieved 114 MPG for a full tank of gas. I know some Insight drivers are getting equal or better MPG. But it is a question of maintenance and skills in knowing how to get the most from your vehicle.

Now if you want to really go 'over the edge,' you might look at what the 5th wheel Insight owner did. He put a retractable, fully electric, 5th wheel on his Insight for EV only mode. It is a little extreme but would work for your vehicle. Sort of 'roll your own hybrid' to roll yourself down the road.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Holy macro! Nice.
If you don't mind me asking, what milleage do you typically get in the other direction?

Cheers;

MSantos
Just thought I would update this, here is the whole tank. I couldn't keep the 84 MPG for the whole tank, thanks to wind, rain and more hyway driving, but it'll do

Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

ML,
I own a 2004 Civic Hybrid CVT which is a fancy automatic transmission.
If you go to the TDI club's monthly mileage competition I'm always in the top three of all cars entered.
While my own car remains stock except for tire pressure I'm only beat out by heavily modified diesels, and only when equipped with a manual 5 speed transmission.

I've been averaging around 67-68MPG all summer in my AT while the diesels only average around 45-46 for the AT. See my signiture below.

This is NOT a slam against diesel autos as they are a great way to save fuel.

Do you have any constructive input to this community?
-Steve

Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM

PCFlorida, any idea what the state of the battery charge was before and after this 21 mile trip?

Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
ML,

I've been averaging around 67-68MPG all summer in my AT while the diesels only average around 45-46 for the AT. See my signiture below.

-Steve
Great milage, hope I can get to your numbers soon

Old 08-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I like to keep the SOC between half and 80 %.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
my other car is a FJORD

i recently made the 95 mile trip to minneapolis on i94 from my home in my 2005 HCH. the displayed average was 67MPG. those who know me know that i can usually pump out over 60 with my car (my sig info is not updated). the 100MPG usually comes from the insight, which sadly, is being discontinued.......

Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rml
Thought these hybrid cars would do better than that?
I normally get between 65 to 70 mpg out of my car (VW Passat 1.9tdi) on my 16 mile journey to work (both ways). The most I've ever got on a long journey is 76 mpg, but then I do have a light right foot and am constantly observing the conditions ahead.
but since the emissions on a diesel are so bad you might as well be driving a hummer.......

Quick Reply: My Best Milage ever

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands