Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Newbie auestion on entering data to database

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie auestion on entering data to database

Hello friends. Two days ago i first drove my brand new HCH II 09 and i am very happy with my car. I would like to ask a question about entering my data to the database. The input form is asking for my mpg ( per tank ? per quantity ? and what quantity ?) the distance i travelled with my tank , the time i drove ( max 12 hours , how is that possible , i usually use my tank for about 10-15 days )

Please let me know what is the proper way to enter my data to the database. Thanks for your help to a newbie.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Newbie auestion on entering data to database

The fields are estimates of what you remember for your typical trip. However, you can either enter the MPG and miles or fuel and miles. It really depends upon your choice.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie question on entering data to database

Yes , i agree and thanks for the answer but obviously we are not referring to a whole gas tank but to a single trip or route only. At least this is how i see it. Right ?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by nodas
Yes , i agree and thanks for the answer but obviously we are not referring to a whole gas tank but to a single trip or route only. At least this is how i see it. Right ?
The tool can be used as you wish but the traditional approach has been after visiting the gas station. It is there for your use.

Now when I first got my Prius, I soon began topping off the tank Sunday evenings and Friday evenings. This allowed me to separate my weekly commuting mileage from the longer weekend tours. This made it easier to understand what worked for a series of short trips, 10 mile commute to work, versus longer weekend drives, 20-50 miles at a time.

Different hybrids have different style mileage meter configurations. With my Prius, I have a single mileage indicator that I use for experiments. My third year, I'm looking at Prius unassisted, warm-up cycles and trying to understand some finer aspects of cold weather driving.

This winter I discovered (re-discovered?) with my NHW11 Prius:
  • 40-45 seconds ICE warm-up - perhaps unique to the Prius, the first 40-45 seconds the larger electric motor tries to handle the bulk of the acceleration power requirement. This allows accceleration to a significant speed on electric power mode within this window and achieve about a 5-10 MPG overall boost in mileage. A slower acceleration or early stops waste this opportunity.
  • use of "R" for auto-stop - not previously reported, apparently shifting into "R" can trigger a Prius engine auto-stop even when the engine coolant is still too cold for normal auto-stop.
Think of your car as an experiment. Read everything you can about how it works and try the different approaches. Treat your mileage indicator(s) as tools to determine what works. As for the GreenHybrid mileage database, it is another tool, a research tool, about what other have achieved in different temperatures and trip durations. And one more thing,

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

You have joined a relatively small group of auto enthusiasts with the means to study what others have pioneered. It is also a chance to contribute to our knowledge. And of course, they are amazing vehicles.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web

Think of your car as an experiment. Read everything you can about how it works and try the different approaches. Treat your mileage indicator(s) as tools to determine what works. As for the GreenHybrid mileage database, it is another tool, a research tool, about what other have achieved in different temperatures and trip durations. And one more thing,

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Bob Wilson
Thanks friend. I really see my car as an experiment , thats what i love most at this car. For now i m just studying ( i got my car 2 days ago , i drove 50 km so far ) I hope soon i will be able to getthe best from this.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Newbie auestion on entering data to database

Welcome nodas.

Lots of times the first tank of gas doesn't give the best idea of your mpg because the car might have been taken out on test drives or worked on by the mechanics at the dealership. But usually what I do is when I fill up the tank at the gas station, I write down the number of gallons it took to fill the car, and the number of miles the car was driven over the course of using the last tank of gas. When those numbers are entered into the database, and it will automatically calculate the mpg for that tank. The only parameters that I estimate are the weather temperature (make a best guess average for those weeks that the car was driven for that tank) and the length of trip (this is always an estimate/average because sometimes I have short trips, but sometimes there might have been a long trip that I took during that tank).

Hope that helps some.
Best of luck with your new car.