Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Newest modified technique good for 84mpg so far.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Newest modified technique good for 84mpg so far.

Driving With the Load as always made more sense to me than Pulse and Glide. To date my best tank has been 82.8 displayed using Pulse and Glide but that method was counter intuitive and hard on the main battery pack so I quit using P&G. While using P&G I realized that I could be a lot more aggressive in the usage of FAS (Forced Auto Stop) while Driving With the Load. When I first started "hypermileing" in my Vette I only cut the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) off when a downhill section was long and steep enough to maintain the speed limit. After I purchased IMC (Inverse Midlife Crisis) my driving slowed down plus the Honda coasted better so I started using FAS more often, killing the ICE whenever a 45 mph speed could be maintained. I had been turning the car back on at a fair rate of speed to try and maintain momentum using top gear.

This newest version of DWL has me going even slower, using FAS even more often (but not as often as P&G) and waiting longer to turn the ICE back on depending on the grade following the downhill section. The warm weather has a lot to do with mileage. When it is cooler (70) I can only hit about 80 mpg displayed using the same technique. It was nice and hot today so I'm at 84mpg after one round trip to work. I'm hoping to match the record P&G tank using the new more aggressive DWL technique.

Last edited by lakedude; 08-10-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newest modified technique good for 84mpg so far.

I really didn't have a chance to try the P&G but like you, have increased both instances and distance in reboot and have seen a big jump as well.

But I haven't made it into the 70's (yet)

Old 08-13-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
But I haven't made it into the 70's (yet)
Are you gonna?

Update. I've been fighthing a 25mph headwind the past 3 days going to work. The wind dies down at night so I don't get near the boost going home. My tank average has slipped down to 80.9 mpg because of the wind.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Gee, I'm almost there. My last tank came to:

Starting mileage: 44166
Ending mileage: 45107
Miles Driven: 941
Gallons to full: 13.6
$2.49g/33.99 total
MPG: 69.2

I'm not doing too bad. Only 19 months ago all I could get out of a Dodge 4 cyl was 16-17MPG!
I wouldn't trade this newly aquired skill for anything

Approaching 2.50-3.00/g for gas? Who would have thunk the sharp, rapid rise overnight? The last time I filled up (10 days ago) it was about $2.16/g

I have the same wind problem. We expect record high storm activity from the Gulf so we may have a real challenge.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Well the tank is nearly done and it slipped even farther all the way down to 77mpg or so displayed. Rain, and humid conditions required AC to defog the windshield and new gravel on what was nice paved road has really hurt this tank. 77 is pretty good but I tried really hard and could have easily hit low eighties with better luck and weather. Still my lifetime calculated should go up a few tenths to reclaim the top spot.

I think almost 70 is fantastic for a CVT, good job HG!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Man I have to try harder. I'm averaging 52ish this tank. My meter showed my voltage dropping to 11.5V or so during reboots and at forced autostops so I haven't been doing any rebooting. I'm practicaly driving the car normaly. Also, my check engine light went on and I'm hoping its just that the gas cap needed to be resealed since it came on pretty much the day after I got gas. But just to be sure I'm driving it pretty conservatively until that light goes out or I take it to the dealer.

77mpg. Man I hate you so much!

Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM

Good luck with that check engine business. Have you done your recall/update?

Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Not yet. I was going to have it done next oil change.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:53 PM

The calculated results were really bad this time, only 70.2 mpg. I hate when that happens.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 AM

Hi Lakedude:

___Man, just 70.2 mpg? That really sucks! What the heck were you doing? Maybe the next time you smoke the EPA by 40 + % and knock off 7/8 of the Insighter’s and Prius II pilots averages, you can tell us how ticked off you really are

___Now I have to go in and reconfigure the Hypermiler List … In my best Forest Gump impersonation, “AGAIN”

___By the way, congratulations for not only “not giving up” but for “keep on keepin on” as the song goes …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Newest modified technique good for 84mpg so far.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands