Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Nitrogen. In your tires....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nitrogen. In your tires....

No...'weight' is defined relative to local gravitational force. You 'weigh' less on the moon than on Earth. But your 'mass' is the same. 'Mass' is a universal property- the proportionality constant between force and acceleration.

N2 is superior because it is bottled 'dry'- no moisture. You could do the same with air from a scuba tank refill station- most of the moisture has been removed. Moisture, has has been pointed out, is the largest source of pressure fluctuations as it condenses and vaporizes in the tire.

Molecular size might factor in, too, though I don't know that a difference of 3E-11m is substantial enough to matter. Helium to N2, yes. But O2 and N2 are pretty close, in the sceme of things.

Last edited by gonavy; 10-12-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Yeah, the Navy guy WOULD use a scuba reference...

Old 10-13-2005, 07:10 AM

next time anybody fills up their tires with air at a gas station, just for fun press the button to let the air out of the hose and you will see water come sparying out... this is what i'm talking about. this is bad.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Yeah, the Navy guy WOULD use a scuba reference...
Well, I could've used a dry-air-in-the-radar-waveguides or dry-air-for-turbine-starting bit...

Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM

You know what a waveguide is, and the fact that we use a compressor-dehydrator... impressive!

Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 PM

I may be a EE now, but in the day it was all about turbines and oil and horsepower.
I like to think that the combat system was simply a capacitive dummy load for my generators, there only to balance out my power factor and protect my plant from bad guys.

90 FEET per gallon...and that was on #2 diesel in cold water.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Hybrid Ambassador

Just an FYI, I stopped by my local Costco (Everett, Wa) and since I didn't buy my (stock) tires there they said they couldn't touch them.
I would like to try this as I've been noticing fewer and fewer gas stations around here even have an air refill station anymore.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Energy Independence!

Hydrogen, anyone?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Isn't air already 75% nitrogen? Is this a joke like the kid whose science project was about the dangers of "dihydrogen monoxide" and won?

Originally Posted by team_venture
NBC 10 in Philly just ran a piece on replacing old-fashioned air in your tires with yes, nitrogen! Less leaking, less pressure fluctuation, better gas mileage, safer handling, probably makes them smell nicer too.

Costco, (hey, weren't they just mentioned in another thread for buying cars?) and a few service stations will do the switch. No mention of price, and of course you still have to maintain proper pressure.

Good enough for NASCAR and NASA, how about you?? Story is located here.

Fred

Old 10-27-2005, 03:43 AM

Please read the thread through. The benefit is due to lower moisture content in the tires, which is the largest factor in pressure fluctuations. This way tire pressure is predictable- important for racing and space shuttles, not so important for Joe driver. Molecule size is a very minor factor in comparison, if at all.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen. In your tires....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands