Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

snow tires vs LRR ties on drive home

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
my other car is a FJORD
Default snow tires vs LRR ties on drive home

after my woo wooing last weekend about my great drive home, i feel i must at least present the comparative experience today with my new snow tires. we literally have a winter weather warning sitting on our doorstep, so i figured no better time to put them on. i bought Toyo snows, similar to blizzak, and the same as i drove on my previous CRV and forrester.

several main differences were apparent right away. one, they are loud. there is a lot of tire rumbling. second, the coasting is not as effective. they slow down much more quickly as you lift off the gas. and the car seems to handle a little more roughly, unless there was more of a cross wind than i was seeing.

however.......after getting 66.9 on friday night, i drove the same way home, same technique and even with the snows on, i still got 61.6!!!! woo woo.......

now tomorrow we will see how i can handle snow, which i have hated driving in since my first attempt at it over 40 years ago. i still remember the place i experienced my first "unscheduled" u-turn. we are supposed to get from 4-8 inches. ick. i brought home work to do here if i feel like it's too bad to drive to work. 10 miles i might, 40 can be a real bear out here in the country.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Default Re: snow tires vs LRR ties on drive home

Not bad. Don't forget new tires are going to give you a hit whether they are LRR or not.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: snow tires vs LRR ties on drive home

I was thinking of getting some snow tires for my civic, so I can sell my Impreza. The Impreza has all season ultra high performance tires on it, and I must say does very well in the snow. Lots of fun to drive and slide around, but my wife and I have been considering selling that car, and putting some snow tires on our 2wd truck, and the civic hybrid. I did have some snow tires on my Impreza a while back, and even on slick snow, it handled as though it was just wet pavement, but like you said, they hunt around a lot, and the cars handling really sucked if it wasn't on snow. LOUD is the other word you used that I can totally agree with, especially in a a wagon. Keep us updated on how they work out!