General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
It is really quite odd, GM & Ford are touting they have cars that get 35 mpg, when you look at the epa rating that is FREEWAY driving.

I dive freeway maybe 5% of the time, I have been looking at the city mileage, guess what, it still is hard pressed to be 25 mpg, I get 42ish in my HCHII, That is 70% better mileage in the real world....
BTW, when I drive on the freeway, I do get 55 mpg or better, in the real world.

I don't know if you have noticed but Chevy touts their truck gets the best mileage of any truck in its class, may well be true but since they never tell you in the ad what that mileage is sounds like they are trying to imply it actually gets good mileage.

Ford shows the Focus implying it can go 423 miles on 1/2 a tank of gas getting 35 mpg, by my calcs. it would have to have a 24+ galon tank, I doubt it does.....I would think it would be very hard streched to get the 423 miles on a full tank.....again, implying it gets better mileage than it does.

I recently was thinking about replacing my Ranger truck (14mpg on e-85) with an escape hybrid, there are 3 ford dealers in this area, none had one, none was willing to get one, they kept saying it doesnt get much better mileage on the freeway than the regular one so I would be wasting my money.....I told them I drive 95% city...the response from all three dealers was well the "premimum" can't be justified in mileage so I might as well buy the gas guzzler they have.
The 2008 Ford Escape was sold out long ago and extremely hard to locate on dealers lots. Sales staff are going to tell you what they want you to hear. Been there and done that type of stuff last year prior to obtaining my hybrid. As with politicians, don't believe everything you hear and read.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Insight is no longer in production. The 2008 EPA ratings for the Civic and Prius are in the mid to upper 40's. Impressive yes, but not rated 60+mpg. Yes individual drivers can best the EPA ratings as I normally do with my hybrid.
Even though the Insight isn't in production, my point was that Detroit's competitor's have been producing highly fuel-efficient cars for years. And just now they are beginning to see the value in producing cars with excellent fuel economy. I really hope they put their engineering efforts into making a a small hybrid car that could compete with the Prius or Civic Hybrid. As it stands, they offer no such car.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:43 PM
ELECPWR

I will be more than happy to back her up since I am a former GM channel partner employee. Let me state the FACTS: Billy Boy

-GM is getting kickbacks from big Oil..

Must I remind you who owns the patent rights for the nickel metal hydride battery- Chevron/Texaco. Although GM owned 61% of Ovonic Battery Corp., they determined it was in the best interest of US to sell one of the most critically required of an EV – the batteries to BIG OIL. Hmmm, seems like Big Oil to me. Not only do they own exclusive rights to the battery but they made the determination to dismantle and destroy the EV-95 AH battery. Oh and by the way the patents are not expiring until 2015.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnet ahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6969567. PN.&OS=PN/6969567&RS=PN/6969567

-GM destroyed all the blueprints for the EV1..

Why don’t we all make a request to Iron Mountain for configuration managed PDM Engineering documents of the real EV1 name- the GM Impact? This is the location that maintains all data center backups of the datasets. Good luck with that one!

-GM had the technology for the EV1 then..

Let me correct you further. It was not GM that engineered the EV1, it was AeroVironment otherwise known as the GM Impact, in a last ditch effort to meet the California error resource board zero emission mandate.

-the Volt, if it comes to the market, it only available by lease..

The Volt lease was confirmed by numerous GM representatives. And, it will be a closed end lease (no option to buy). This is the only way GM can remotely have any luck of being successful with the Volt due to the high cost (which is currently projected at $48,000 and supposedly 2 years away). Oh and by the way, closed end lease means – you will have no legal way to keep the vehicle at the end of the lease, this guarantees GM full control of the fleet. If GM determines they want the Volt vehicles back, you MUST return the car – no questions asked!

-if the Volt is successful and there is a need, GM will take it back from you and crush it, just like the EV1..

Let me just point out one fact Billy Boy – let’s not forget taxes which comprise a good bulk of the fuel price consisting of local, state and federal taxes. All GM has to do is lease ONE vehicle to fulfill all of their requirements to delivery a product to the public. I do not know if you have ever seen one but who know drives an EV1? We had two good friends that had EV1s (1999 and a 2000 model) which GM abruptly taken away from them without explanation. GM did confirm that they recycled 100% of the EV1s using standard automotive salvaging methods “crushing the vehicle”. Haven’t you visited a junk yard? Why don’t you take a look at this link and tell me whose side they are on? I can assure you that it is NOT yours!

http://www.truthout.org/docs_02/10.17D.wh.elec.car.htm

Old 04-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Billy Boy! Ha Ha. I can take it.

1. You fail to document kickbacks from Big Oil to GM with your document. "How much does GM get from Big Oil in kickbacks?" It is not listed anywhere. Furthermore, GM is not working with Chervon/Texaco's battery patent. GM is working with A123 lithium ion battery design. The nickel metal hydride battery is "old technology" and will be phased out as lithium ion and newer battery designs mature.

2. Another poster stated the EV1 blueprints were destroyed. Proof of this statement should rest on those making this statement. I am aware of the Iron Mt. storage facility as they control one such facility not far from where I live.

3. If the Volt reaches the market it will be a lease.... This link http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-volt.html from April 16, 2008 does not mention leasing at all. Just a $40,000 price tag. Would you please document names and dates and publications for your source(s) on the Volt will be lease only?

4. You last statement has no substance/no proof that GM will take back any or all of the Volts. You are trying to tie what happened to the EV1 to the future.

The Henry Ford Museum has an EV1 on display.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
ELECPWR

You must must work for Big Oil don't you. I tell you what Billyk when you get your new VOLT send me a picture of you standing in front of it and what your closed end monthly lease payment is... Or should I say what is the residual buyout price is HA! HA! By the way the $48000 price tag came directly from Bob Lutz and by the way how many of your friends own not lease there $60,000 BUMMERS...Sorry I mean HUMMMMER 10 mpg. OPEC supporter.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM

It is too bad you can't walk the talk.

Time will tell whether the Volt arrives prior to Toyota's PHEV. I don't work for Big Oil, GM or other auto companies.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:08 PM
ELECPWR

So what do you do???

Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM
ELECPWR

Here is the information you requested on the VOLT pricing
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...-toyota-prius/

Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

There's little doubt in my mind that GM is a scumbag company. Last month when hybrid sales where approx 22,000+, GM sold less than 100. Yet they spent countless dollars on "green ads". But I do agree with Billy with regard to myth vs. reality. As much as the practices of GM get my goat, all these conspiracy theories get me just as mad.

Sure I saw "Who killed the electric car", and there is no doubt that something stinks, but lets try and stick with the facts. There are more than enough reasons for someone NOT to buy a vehicle from GM. If they now want to be a player ,the burden is on them to prove it to us, not the other way around.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
ELECPWR

The fact is my friends had an EV1 and now they don't that is the fact. See...you guys don't understand because you did have one. GM will spend a billion dollars on adds if it makes there stock price go up or inprove there image. They have deep pockets we don't...you all can call it fact or fiction, but like I said send me a photo when you guys get your VOLTS or what ever they are finally called by the way the production model is not even going to be call the VOLT that is just the concept name.

Quick Reply: Volt battery testing started

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands