General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt Engine Design Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Volt Engine Design Change

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the way it had been to me was the "simple way", which may be easier for some people to understand, but isn't exactly correct. The main point is that it's 100% electric drive and the ICE isn't mechanically connected to the drivetrain.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Engineering first

An interesting 'thought experiment' is to try and put a single, highway speed, drive shaft from the engine to the wheels. The complexity becomes daunting:
  • clutch
  • differential
  • slip mechanism to deal with wheel defection relative to body
In theory, a single speed drive shaft would allow the ICE to couple to a pair of drive wheels. However, the additional weight and space as well as the more complicated control laws soon makes this impractical.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

BigTuna-
Just got an email from Chevy. Actually, we were both right. The ICE does generate current that runs to the wheels, but it also charges the battery, in case you need a surge of power. At least that's what I got out of this. It's not really clear to me.

The Volt's Range Extender serves one purpose: to keep it going long after the initial battery charge is used. It efficiently uses gasoline to generate enough electricity to power the car for hundreds of miles – on a single fill-up. Plus it continues to generate electric power for accelerating, passing and merging that comes solely from electricity.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
BigTuna-
Just got an email from Chevy. Actually, we were both right. The ICE does generate current that runs to the wheels, but it also charges the battery, in case you need a surge of power. At least that's what I got out of this. It's not really clear to me.
Exactly correct. Any extra energy would of course be used to charge batts rather than be wasted. That is why I used the word "primary"...
Originally Posted by BigTuna
The reason the ICE's primary job is NOT going to be to charge batteries is because charging batteries with the ICE is very inefficient perhaps down below 30% when going: ICE-generator-batts-motor.

Near as I can tell the Volt has always been designed this way, nothing has changed as far as the ICE-generator-motor pathway is concerned.