Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
2Mode
Default Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8

I have had the check engine light come on numerous(over 5) times during my 1.5 year ownership of my Tahoe hybrid. I have taken it into the dealer everytime and they told me they found nothing or just reset my computer?? The check engine light came on again one day and I called onstar to check systems, all they found was a "code" that they didn't know what it meant. After going into a store and coming back out the CEL was off. Two days later I was headed to work when the CEL came on again and I called onstar. This time they explain there was some sort of engine misfire??? The service writer could tell something was not right from the horrible sounds coming from my engine bay and had me leave the vehicle so the tech could check it out. They called me later in the day and ask if I liked the rental car I had because the engine "missfires" (I still was never told what exactly happened) had ruined the engine and they were waiting on response from GM to send new engine, or parts to fix it. The service tech finally called me back two days later and said GM was sending a new powertrain assembly out to be installed and it would take a few days. Needless to say after two weeks without my Tahoe, I finally got it back in one piece. With a new powertrain assembly that somehow cost my dealer 80K(no joke) in parts and labor under warranty. I still have been trying to get info on what actually happened but it seems GM is keeping a tight lid on it. Has anyone else encounter a problem like this?

The other numerous times this vehicle has been in the shop in the 30K miles I have owned it was for two power brake failures that fixed themselves after the car was turned off and on. I have also been stranded once in Seattle(2 hours from home) and Portland(3 hours from home just yesterday) because my vehicle has failed to start, unlock the doors, do anything from a dead 12v battery. I know they dont hold charges very well, but parking your car and coming back out 20 mins later should not have an effect. Hell the car comes set from GM to keep the radio on for so long after the key has been pulled until the drivers door is open. This amount of time is enough to kill the battery even. I have even had to have both my rear power door actuators replaced within the first 7500 miles of ownership. I have had 8 suburbans since 1993 and never had the amount of problems I have had with this car. I am a "GM Family" kid and have never not owned a GM, but it is getting to the point where I can't even trust my 50,000+ vehicle on a road trip out of town.

Any info anyone else might have would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8

Hello Kam, welcome to the GH GM forum. I have read your post with interest as I am a new GM 2-mode hybrid owner. As I read it, I could sense your frustration and lack of confidence now with your vehicle.

In Texas, we have a Lemon Law that prohibits you from being forced to keep a defective product. If they fixed your Tahoe, then it would not be a defective product. However, if they keep having to fix the same thing, then it falls under the lemon law and you can force them to take it back. If it is indeed a lemon, I would do just that. If it just had repairs the dealer could not identify and continued until they could, that won't qualify as a lemon. I know that is not much conselation.

About the battery issues. It is a very common fact that hybrids are battery sensitive. You should never leave lights, accessories, or your own stuff plugged into 12v ACC receptacles when the vehicle is not running. While I once again hear your frustration with this, I have found my Prius almost run down from leaving an interior light on overnight. It does not take much to kill a battery. But it takes more than just the time until your door opens that the radio and lights remain on. I cautiously add that the battery may have been damaged by previous issues including being at the dealer for so long. It is just a 12v battery and not a big expense to replace it. But being aware of all the ways to run it down are important. The 12v ACC plugs in my Prius go dead once the car is turned off...all of them. I suspect that GM should have done the same with their hybrids. But just to be fair, one of the big complaints on priuschat were that the outlets died when you powered the car off! Many owners wanted mods to make them hot, even against the advice of other PC members.

It is easy to develope a hate for a product that does not meet your expectations or was not as it was advertised to you. Not many sales folks are knowledgeable about the hybrids and all they can and will do, and won't do. Even my Prius salesman was confused and amazed at some stuff I already knew when I picked it up (I was already a PC member and really reading prior to buying). My Silverado Hybrid was the first my salesman had even seen. Thank goodness the service techs had been to school and were certified. But as a small country dealer, they will certainly have less experience and opportunity to get acquainted with them. I hope that your worries are over and you are on to smooth sailing with your Tahoe. Be diligent with being sure nothing is powered when you leave the vehicle every time you exit, and read your manual cover to cover so you are knowledgeable and can bring wisdom and experience to this forum! This is a good vehicle and technology but they won't all be free from defect or issues. Get them taken care of and press on down the road. Good luck and hope it is better luck from here on out.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8

I have seen more reported issues with the 2008 Tahoe Hybrids on this forum than the 2009's. I wonder what the build spec differance was between 2008 and 2009.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default i'll bet it was 8000 not 80,000

the dreaded extra zero factor....

Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't 8 grand be a little cheap for a new 6.0L, even without labor?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default conversly...

Originally Posted by txav8r
Wouldn't 8 grand be a little cheap for a new 6.0L, even without labor?
wouldn't 80 grand be a little steep for a 6.0...especially when the whole car...at retail (at least mine) was 57,000.00 for the WHOLE CAR...I have a contact at GM...i'll get the real story from him

Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 PM
2Mode

Well I'm glad someone else thinks it's seems impossible for the engine to be that much even with labor. That's kind of why I posted on here to get other peoples opinons on this situation. I don't know the actual cost if any(or all) of the actual hybrid drivetrain was damaged and needed to be replaced. I'm guessing gm isn't making any money selling these for The 51-57 most go for. I jus hope that's not a sign of what cost could be if the car goes ouT of warranty. Even the 8/100000 one

Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jet 1 it will be interesting what your friend at GM says the failure was. Look at it this way at least you have a new engine with the latest mods.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I would love to hear that info as well as the correct price. Hey Hopshybrid08, you said they replaced the drivetrain...did that include the EVT as well or just the ICE?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

I am new to the forum so there may be threads around on the same
subject I haven't found yet.

This past Sat. I stated to run in to town in my 2008 Yukon hybrid. (18k miles) It started ok but as soon as I back it out the engine started to miss badly. The engine check light stated to flash. I pulled in back into the car port and shut it down. Later in the day I put the computer on it and it had set a "misfire in cyl #1" code. Left it alone until Monday when I drove it the 2 miles to the dealer (it complained greatly). He call me that afternoon and confirmed what my computer had said. He said he had pulled the plug from the #1 cyl and it was heavily fouled. He went on to say that there was a service bulletin out (dated Feb 2009) that addressed the problem. Seem GM has found serious internal problems with some 6L engine installed in some Hybrids. I went to the dealer's shop and looked at the GM bulletin. He was right. It was very vague but eluded to a problem with the lubrication of the cam shaft (??) The dealer downloaded data from the vehicle's computer and emailed the file to GM somewhere in Michigan. He called today and has received a reply back and indeed my Yukon has the engine problem. The fix - a new engine!! They shipped it today. This must be a serious problem. There was no hesitation, no questions, no paperwork - they just shipped a new engine for the dealer to install!! All 100% under warranty.

Sounds like my problem may be related to this one ? I will post what happens. The engine is due to arrive at the dealer in 7-10 days but my guess is 2-3 weeks considering the holidays.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands