Burning oil on '09 Silverado hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Burning oil on '09 Silverado hybrid

I can tell you my wife has a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid which has been taken into the shop around 10 times for engine issues. They typically send us on our way until the engine light comes on and it's about to breaks down. They've had 5 different repair solutions for the same problem (including changing out the engine) these solutions have seemed to work until a road trip and then back to the drawing board. Currently it is functioning again (after another "solution" a month ago), but I'm beginning to get the feeling they are just throwing band aids at it until the warranty is up, and we are screwed, or they actually figure it out. From our digging around and questions at the dealership GM knows this issue is out there, and in my opinion the ethical thing to do would be to recall them or provide owners some assurance they will fix the issue. Instead their solution is to trade it in so they can resell to another unknowing victim. Puts us in a position where we either keep a car with a systemic issue, trade in and eat the loss, or act like GM and resell knowing the problem is going to pop up again at anytime.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Yukon Denali. Around 50,000 miles it started to burn 1qt of oil per 1000miles. Once it get's down 1 or 2 qts it will push blue smoke out of the exhaust when started. Currently we have 75,000miles on it.

Also, there is no indication that your oil is low until you get the red alert sound that it's empty. That happened the first time I noticed the problem. I had 4,500 miles on it after a synthetic oil change. After that I've been monitoring it closely. It's definitely a consistent 1qt per 1000 miles.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Smoke on start could be valve stem seals. 1000 miles per quart is excessive. There could be crank case ventilation issues. The dealer may balk but it is excessive. Smoke on cold or cool start after parked or smoke every start?

Usually hot catalytic converters need lots of oil to make visible smoke on start. Oil is not good for them.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. You are right about the seals. The dealer replaced them about 4,000 miles ago. The gas mileage improved and it felt like it was running smoother. However, it's still burning 1qt per 1000miles. Once it gets down 1qt is when you can noticeably see the blue smoke on startup. You can see the smoke on every start but it's definitely worse if it's been sitting for a few hrs.