Buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buy or not to buy?

I test drove a 2012 Tahoe hybrid LTZ yesterday and found it to be exactly what I want. Here's the rub. It's got 123K (one owner Maine to Boston and back 5 days a week) on it already and although it's only 3 years old it concerns me that the mileage is so high. What should be looking for/concerned about? I've researched the truck a bit but can't find too many major complaints. I've got a 2005 Sierra 133K and never a little CJIS of trouble. Still can anyone tell me if I should expect any major pitfalls with this vehicle? Thanks

Old 12-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buy or not to buy?

Is it a Hybrid or an LTZ? I think those are two different models but I never say never with GM.
How much are you going to pay for it?
Are they providing all of the records for the vehicle and have you checked the Carfax?
If it has been properly maintained 123K is nothing but if it has not been properly maintained...123K could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Also, lots of highway miles may not give the hybrid system/battery a proper & routine workout because the hybrid system doesn't function at highway speeds.
I have 130K on mine and it's just getting broken in, it may go 250K-300K but that is because I have given it insanely meticulous routine maintenance & routine fluid analysis.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid-theory
Is it a Hybrid or an LTZ? I think those are two different models but I never say never with GM.
How much are you going to pay for it?
Are they providing all of the records for the vehicle and have you checked the Carfax?
If it has been properly maintained 123K is nothing but if it has not been properly maintained...123K could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Also, lots of highway miles may not give the hybrid system/battery a proper & routine workout because the hybrid system doesn't function at highway speeds.
I have 130K on mine and it's just getting broken in, it may go 250K-300K but that is because I have given it insanely meticulous routine maintenance & routine fluid analysis.
It's a fully loaded hybrid. I just assumed LTZ because of the options. Any way it was one owner and was cared for regularly by the dealership where it had been originally purchased. I know that high mileage isn't a bad thing like it used to be ( I owned a 1995 jeep Cherokee sport and put 200K on it. It ran great even when I traded it). But I still wanted to understand if there are any truly major issues to look for. Thanks

Old 12-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I personally wouldn't consider buying any vehicle (especially a Hybrid) with over 100K miles unless it was accompanied by complete & detailed records, and a satisfactory Carfax report, even then I would expect a deep discount to hedge against possible issues.
And if they just followed GM's recommended maintenance schedule , That's not good enough in my opinion.
FYI, All of the Tahoe Hybrid models were built "Loaded", the only two options I recall when ordering mine were 1. Sunroof 2. Rear Entertainment screen (And as I recall for some reason I don't believe you could have both)
2012 was a good year for the Hybrid Tahoe, the model was several years old and they had worked out several major kinks by then.
Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid-theory
I personally wouldn't consider buying any vehicle (especially a Hybrid) with over 100K miles unless it was accompanied by complete & detailed records, and a satisfactory Carfax report, even then I would expect a deep discount to hedge against possible issues.
And if they just followed GM's recommended maintenance schedule , That's not good enough in my opinion.
FYI, All of the Tahoe Hybrid models were built "Loaded", the only two options I recall when ordering mine were 1. Sunroof 2. Rear Entertainment screen (And as I recall for some reason I don't believe you could have both)
2012 was a good year for the Hybrid Tahoe, the model was several years old and they had worked out several major kinks by then.
Good Luck.

Thank you. Yes. The truck was meticulously maintained and I had it checked by an independent and very talented mechanic. He gave it a thumbs up. I worked a deal for $21k which is definitely a deep discount. My mechanic could only find a tie rod in need of replacement. I'm gonna roll the dice and buy it. By the way it has BOTH a rear entertainment device and a sunroof. Wish me luck. Thanks!