dreaded rear oil pan leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Default dreaded rear oil pan leak?

I just noticed that the oil pan near the rear where it connects to the bell housing is moist with some fluid. I guess it is engine oil as it doesn't look colored. sprayed with engine degreaser and it obviously is coming from the back. noticed it on my first oil change when new that oil pan was unusually wet. after they tightened the oil filter, it corrected itself. but this time with the benefit of the engine degreaser, it is really an oil leak

I have been monitoring the oil level and it is okay, the oil pressure is also within specs. any of you guys had the same issue? if so, what was the fix?

went to the dealer and they have put a dye to check after several miles of driving. I don't want a tranny pull and will be conservative in the fix. I know there is a TSB but at such low miles

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default is it dead center?

R U sure its not a crankshaft seal? did you switch to a different IE synthetic oil?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Default Re: is it dead center?

Originally Posted by jet1
R U sure its not a crankshaft seal? did you switch to a different IE synthetic oil?
the TSB indicates or is common for the crankshaft seal but to fix it means you have to pull the tranny down and fix the seal and the rear engine cover. if it was just an oil pan leak then maybe replacing the gasket helps. but they already updated the design of the gasket where there is rivet specifically to hold the gasket in place(I guess, during the build from the factory).

the design of the oil pan though is the problem. the lower tranny bolts connects to the oil pan(of course you will have vibrations) instead of the block.

I have search the net and this is as close as I can get to the problem.

http://www.chevroletforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34563

I am using the same mobil 1 5w/30 extended performance.

btw, I have been monitoring the oil pressure and in the morning with the engine and oil cold, the oil pressure goes as high as 67psi and when the oil is warm and hot it is 64psi tops. they gave an escalade ESV loaner and the oil pressure on that is 60 psi hot and cold.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: dreaded rear oil pan leak?

I suggest you it's better if you get an engine hoist, lift the motor up as much as you can, pull the rack down, and then have at it. Usually it seeps but doesn't leak.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

this is a pic of a used LFA 6.0 L vortec hybrid engine I got from the net. from the pics, it shows that it is a normal thing for this engines to seep or leak some oil?

Attached Thumbnails dreaded rear oil pan leak?-gm-lfa1.jpg   dreaded rear oil pan leak?-gm-lfa.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Fast forward to 2012. At 97k miles, I did not have any fix done to it and since my warranty is close to expiring, just did a once over and had a dealer do a check again(seriously? At 97k from 3k miles new?). They tightened the oil pan bolts, did a dye test again and after 800 miles of driving, used a light to check for oil leaks and nada, no visible signs of oil which is a good thing than having a complete tear down for a minor annoyance. Still using the mobil 1 5w/30 extended performance. Win!