Fifth Estate GPS Lockout Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Fifth Estate GPS Lockout Review

Hello All,
Last night I watched a Canadian Program call Fifth Estate it was revewing protable as well as Automotive Manufactured GPS Systems. Some interesting points.
I have a Garmin unit and both it and the Totom unit as well was reviewed. These units have no lockouts and this industry does not require any as it does not fall under any regulation in Canada, at this point. Ontario just introduced a law stating that you can only use a hands free cell phone in any vehicle period. Besides using collected accident data which is high for GPS users as well as those people who text during driving. They conducted there own tests by having Police block off a road and instructing drivers what data to put in point of interest extra, it was amazing how they lost focus on driving and became focused on the GPS. Voice activated caused little loss of consintration. An advicate of the portable GPS Systems indicated that road signs caused just as much distration, however research said different. The Automotive manufactures look at it as a liability issue and are working on more advanced systems than we have in the Tahoe Hybrid today, mine works not to bad. Just food for though when looking at the lockpick systems.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fifth Estate GPS Lockout Review

Thanks Ken,
I am unable to use the Navigation system in my Tahoe, since there are no maps CD for Jordan as far as I know.
but I was told that I can still use the GPS together with the 4wd Navigation screen on, and be able to have waypoints on certain routes when going offroad.
I was unable to duplicate that, anyone mange to use GPS in the Tahoe off road without the need of the CD road maps?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good post Ken. When driving you see people that are completely distracted from their main responsibility...DRIVE THE CAR. In our line of work we have been taught and really conditioned to multi-task with the best of them. From a young driving age, I always prided myself in my "flexibility" with being able to eat, make a note, etc. and...still maintain good control of the vehicle that I was responsible for and the lives within it and around it. Was I kidding myself? Yes, to a certain degree, and no to a certain degree. Our postition in life and re enforcement from our backgrounds play key roles in giving us great situational awareness.

Seems like a bunch of BS listed above to justify the use of equipment or other things that distract from the primary duty of "flying the airplane/driving the car". These high tech devices take you out of the loop but add to your overall situational awareness. It is a double edged sword. Legislatures have no business in this or any other facet of private lives with or without studies supporting them. What amazes me is that people driving down the road distracted by their phone/text/gps/kids/etc. look at it like it is their right to do whatever they want without regard to how it might affect others. So let's make laws to prevent them from doing it??? Not sure people pay much attention to that, they just pay greater attention to see if anyone is looking! I don't know, this is such a difficult issue. The manufacturers could make these units so much more user friendly and give us the ability to use the features without creating such a huge distraction. Driving around looking for a business or residence without knowing where it is or where you are exactly is a big distraction too, not just an inconvenience. I say ever car/airplane should have a HUD (heads up display) right in the windscreen to give the operator the information they need without distracting them terribly. You would not believe how incredible that feature is. I use one everyday I work. Just imagine, Cat III landing and 300RVR takeoff capability...handflown, no autopilot! That is what a HUD adds to your ability. One day, all of the information a driver needs to operate his/her car will be right in plain view of their primary view...and the increased automation will maintain your trailing distance from the car in front of you both on/off of cruise control. We will have to pay for these features because our legislators will dictate that all cars have them and so, the cost will go up. Good features...bad laws.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Mel great comments,
I have a full Honeywell Hud in the Citation X and it is amazing. I believe the Cadillacs have a form of hud on the front window, wish we had the option.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Guss hi do you have a navigation disc? For the middle east? Can you get close to one of the points of interest? I believe from here that you can use the off road mode to locate where you are.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Ken,
I have a US navigation Map CD since the vehicle is US specs only.
but My compass does work using GPS signal with eth correct coordinates. But I am unable to figure out using the 4WD mode how to place waypoints or a track on the screen if that is possible without a CD???
do I need a referal point on the map in order to use the 4wd navigation mode?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:08 AM

Hi Guss,
When I first got my Hybrid I had to wait for the Nav Disc and the GPS Nav system would not work. When Irecieved the disc I was playing with it one day and tried to get from Canada to hawaii and it was not able to compute or show a map over water. I believe in off road mode it just displays the closest area from the map data it has when you are in the bush. The compass is an electrionic one and does not use the GPS. On your Nav screen does the GPS appear with a redline through it? As this indicates it is off line. Does you vehicle have the OnStar feature? I know that this only works in North America. I am sure that the Hummer would have Middle East Data, not sure if the display is the same.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 AM

Hi Ken,
No the GPS sometimes appears with red line when I have no signal, but usally it appears without red line, and it gives me my coordinates LAt/Long. so GPS is connected to sattellite.
it has onstar feature, but as you said it only works in US.
will check with teh dealer and see what happens

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Guss..
Getting Maps to work with the GPS Nav system outside of the US is difficult.
I have a disc that works for Western Europe, but not Greece.
I understand that discs that work in Saab 95s will also work in the Tahoe, so if Saab offer a disc for the middle east you could visit a dealer and try it.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks Rob

Quick Reply: Fifth Estate GPS Lockout Review

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands