GM proceedure for dealing with recurring issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GM proceedure for dealing with recurring issues?

Thanks! I plan on printing this and taking it in. the service manager said all they are going to do is drive it?!>!>! "so they can try to see what the issue is" but i told them what its doing but apparently thats not enough for them to start trouble shooting. im very disappointed with the dealer and with the GM reps i have been in contact with.

my prediction... i will get it back in a few days an they will say... "well we couldnt find anything wrong with it."

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

well they called me an said "we cant find anything wrong with it, its ready for you to pick up" so i told the service manager that when i talked to GM they said the dealership would be working with the "engineers" at GM to solve the issue. so i said "have you contacted the engineers?" and of couse he says no, we dont have any codes to give them so they wouldnt know what to do. but he said he would call and let me know. so i called GM again and told them i dont feel safe driving a vehicle that quits whenever it wants. so the lady at GM says well you can keep your rental or go pick the vehicle an if or when it happens again leave the car where it is an have it towed to the dealership.... so What happens when im driving down the interstate at 70 an the car shuts off? i told the lady id be keeping the rental since my wife is due to have our second child in 5 days.... once again i have no resolution and a vehicle that the dealership just wants out of their shop, fixed or not.

Last edited by Hatter1; 08-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's disappointing to hear. On all of my initial visits at least (not sure about the last one) there was a lot of conversation between the tech and GM engineering.

The first time the tech checked things he said: "Well, I found 45 codes and am working my way through them." It's hard to believe your vehicle isn't throwing any codes at all. Nothing coming up on your Driver Information Center when this happens?

If I were the tech, I might start by assuming the diagnostic computer is broken.....

Where in the country are you? Maybe some others here can point you to a different dealer with more experience.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hatter1
the vehicle shuts off. the two times its happened its been 95+ and we've had the A/C on full blast(not sure if that matters). stopped at a stop sign, give it gas to take off and the peddle goes to the floor an the car dies. it actually starts to take off so when its rolling and it dies... of course so does the power steering and breaks.. so i wrestle it to a stop. between 10 to 15 minutes later it starts right back up like nothing was wrong.
Your dealer sounds like an unmotivated doofus at worst, or a liar at best. These trucks are complex, and the dealer probably doesn't want to spend much time on them becuase it costs $$. When it starts up again after a stall, are any lights visible on the cluster, e.g check engine, traction control and/or messages on the driver info center? Every controller has their own dedicated diagnostic codes, and failure record data. Like Lake, I find it hard to believe there is nothing. What most likely happens is the tech clears codes to get it running, or disconnects the 12V, and lo and behold there is nothing to tell the higher-ups. On extreme temperature days, either hot or cold, an electrical connector lead that's not really secure can become intermittent as things expand/contract, etc. There should be a data trail pointing to the fault. Unfortunately, just 'driving it around a couple of days' and hoping the fault repeats itself is not a very robust diagnosis method. And if it does occur, what then? You can always take it to Autozone and borrow a reader BEFORE you take it in. If it happened fairly recently, press the OnStar button and try to get a code download.

Last edited by KC135R; 08-05-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: read the second page of posts.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

yeah.. tell me about dissappointing.

from what i have gathered the techs havent communicated with GM at all or if they have very little. i was told on my first visit that after it stopped on me (at rush hour in a busy intersection with my 19 month old screaming in the back as everyone's honking their horns at us) that the computer reset its self... since after about 12 to 15 minutes the vehicle allowed me to start it. SO from the experenced mind of the tech, he determined that the codes were erased from the computers memory.. go figure. But of course im sure they have a recording of me talking to the onstar guy who was able to pin point my location and notify local police to come to my aid.. but since my subscription was expired on my onstar he wouldnt tell me the code the vehicle was throwing.

when it quits the check engine light comes on an thats about it. im no expert but id say its something to do with a grounding or maybe a low voltage problem since its dieing when its in hybrid mode... but when i tell the dealership they more or less roll their eyes at me.

currently the vehicle is at Moses Cadilliac in Charleston Wv. this is the dealership ive taken it to on both occasions when it has quit.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KC135R
When it starts up again, are any lights visible on the cluster, e.g check engine, and/or messages on the driver info center? Has the dealer pulled any codes? On extreme temperature days, either hot or cold, an electrical connector lead that's not really secure can become intermittent as things expand/contract, etc. There should be a data trail pointing to the fault. Unfortunately, just 'driving it around a couple of days' and hoping the fault repeats itself is not a very robust diagnosis method. And if it does occur, what then? You can always take it to Autozone and borrow a reader. Faults stay in memory for quite a while.
Ah yes the in-depth trouble shooting of the dealership "hey lets drive it an see if it does it again!" what amazes me is the factory warrantee is good only if they know whats wrong not for trouble shooting to find out. so the warrantee that we have will not cover swapping out parts to "try" or "attempt" to solve the problem.. only if they know with out doubt what is wrong will they attempt to work on it.. so the factory warrantee is bogus.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you set a check engine light, then there was a code, and it doesn't "reset itself." Emissions regulations don't allow that. Even if the vehicle restarts, and the fault that set the light only happened once, the code and snapshot data at the time of the fault will be in memory for at least a couple of weeks. Unless someone actively cleared the codes or disconnected the 12V battery lead. I would try a different dealer, if you have that option. They have no business rolling their eyes at you.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

thats amazing.. i have been told on more then one occasion that once the key is turned after it happends it clears the codes... the last three times they have tried to get me to take the vehicle back they say "IF" it happens again to leave the vehicle where its at an do not turn the key cus it will clear the codes. how about those apples?!?

both times this happened it was on fridays an i took the car str8 home an it sat in the garage. the very next trip that was made in it was str8 to the dealership less than 5 miles away.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like you have a repeatable drive cycle. Hot weather, on Fridays, at an intersection. Launching from a stop both times? Were you turning the steering wheel or going straight? How long had you been driving each time? How long had it been sitting idle prior to each drive where it died? From your various descriptions there seems to be a pattern. You probably do have a chafed wire somewhere in harness attached to the engine, and when the engine rocks under accel, the exposed wire touches a ground. But the circumstances have to be precise, which is why it's not happening to the dealer.

One more thing: The check engine light is always on if the key is in run mode but the engine is off (not auto stopped). Required bulb check. The magic question is does it stay on after the engine starts again?

Last edited by KC135R; 08-05-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: 1 more question
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

Each time i was taking off from a stop, and the wheel was turned but one time it was turned to the left and the other time it was turned right. the first time i had been in the car for about 10 minutes 8 of it sitting in traffic. the second time i had just started the car maybe 2 minutes earlier. now that u mentioned the check engine light i do remember that its always on unless the engine is on... but the first time when it died the only light on was the check engine light and after the 10 to 15 minutes it took for the car to let me start it again the light went off immediately after it was restarted. the second time it came on breifly.. before it died... like maybe a second or two... i guess you would call it a flicker. But of course after the engine is restarted the check engine light goes off.

so maybe its just a wire grounding an killing the engine and thats why the check engine light doesnt stay on after the car is restarted??? we had a jeep that had a check engine light come on before and it stayed on till we took it to the dealer. i bet this is why it didnt stay on.

u think thats why theres no code in the computer? would it throw a code for a wire grounding?

Quick Reply: GM proceedure for dealing with recurring issues?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands