Hybrid Stalled, Engine Light, Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid Stalled, Engine Light, Transmission?

On the way to work this morning as I was slowing down to make a turn, my 2009 Tahoe Hybrid (about 95K miles) just stalled out and put on the engine light immediately. I put it in park and started it up again, it did some lunging, but I was able to get it into a parking lot. I drove at low speeds and it seems to act a little odd, and again the engine light was still on. I turned it off and back on a few times with the same result. Then I found a back road where I could give it some gas, I noticed from a stopped position it I could give it some gas (not flooring it necessarily) and it the RPMs would just keep going to 6,000-7,000 RPMs because it would switch to 2nd gear. If i just let up slightly on the gas, it would switch gears and basically act normal even though the engine light is on. Not sure if its related to the transmission going out or not. Any ideas?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Hybrid Stalled, Engine Light, Transmission?

bought new or used? bring it to dealer to check for codes instead of the usual "gunning" it.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Since I posted that first message I was able to run diagnostics and get the codes, they are the following P061B and P0AC4. I've searched online and can't seem to get a clear answer what they mean, other than the P0AC4 is just a code saying the Hybrid system sent a message to turn on the engine light.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM
A little insane at times

Originally Posted by Metzdaddy
Since I posted that first message I was able to run diagnostics and get the codes, they are the following P061B and P0AC4. I've searched online and can't seem to get a clear answer what they mean, other than the P0AC4 is just a code saying the Hybrid system sent a message to turn on the engine light.
It could be the throttle body or something as simple as the air filter. Have you done any mods such as a cold air intake? TB's are a fairly common issue with the Hybrids seemingly once they get above 60k...

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Administrator

my throttle body was replaced due to a clicking sound after the vehicle is turned off. But it did not have any drivability issues except for that annoying clicking sound.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mike, if you have not cleared codes get the "Freeze Frames" recorded associated with that P061B. Then have the dealer call for help.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

You may have seen this next link already in your online search, to bad the OP did not come back and update the outcome if he even kept the vehicle. Just as an FYI only, Be sure to open the Service Bulletin in post 5. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...4-p061b-28322/

Also doing a search I ran across Service Bulletin Number that seemed interesting: PIT-4808D http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b260367/ It's just a headliner of the bulletin and not an actual bulletin.

Be sure your 12 volt battery under the hood is in 100% working order or you could experience some unusual running conditions. If it an original battery, then it's almost 5 years old already.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum...89&postcount=8

Please be sure to let us know what your outcome is, Good luck.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

08 Yukon Hybrid 87K miles. Woke up the other day with no power steering (talk about having to horse a vehicle around!). Dealer says was from weak battery (5 years old). Appears that the modules "forgot" how to behave. Error codes showed a low voltage period. Will see if any more issues.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
CAC
Enthusiast

I have a 2008 model with 146,000 miles and it has been having similar hesitation problems, and occasionaly seems to get out of gear when stopped, but 2 days ago I was sitting at a stoplight when the engine started slowly revving up and up until I put it in neutral, and then it went back to idle. When I put it back into Drive, it started revving up again to 3000 rpm and climbing until I put it back into neutral.

My dealer called me today to tell me his transmission tech says that it needs a new transmission for $5,500 and that there is a broken part in the transmission. I have doubts about that and I'm going in tomorrow morning to discuss what I'm seeing on the internet about the wiring harness issues, etc. that may be possible causes.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did you get a Check Engine Light or other warnings? If so there are codes and information stored. "Broken part" is pretty non-descript for $5500.

Since you are the one writing the check, how confident is the tech? Confident enough to help cover the cost if wrong?

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 03-07-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Hybrid Stalled, Engine Light, Transmission?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands