Looking at the Michelin LTX-MS2, Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
'08 Yukon Hybrid
Default Looking at the Michelin LTX-MS2, Opinions??

We have a 2008 Yukon Hybrid with 53k miles on the original Bridgestone tires. They've never been great tires. Now the inside tread is wearing off on all four of them.

I read here that some of you have been happy with a Goodyear model, but it’s no longer available. We are looking at the Michelin LTX-MS2. People seem to either Love or Hate them.

I see at least one of you has these.

Any suggestions? Opinions? What would you get now?

Thanks!!

We live in Central Florida so the negative opinions about lousy snow traction won't apply

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: Looking at the Michelin LTX-MS2, Opinions??

i have had those for about 15k and so far they are fine. I had goodyear triple treads before those and they were great for traction but did wear out before i expected them to. the michelins are probably about 50% gone but i drive pretty aggressively. i would recommend them. good luck

Last edited by jet1; 05-04-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

I just replaced all four tires with Continental Crosscontact LX20. I have a 2008 chevy Tahoe Hybrid. I never liked the Bridgestones. So far I love the tires and they are great on wet roads!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the same tires about 3K ago. Work great. Much better than the OEM on my 2009 HyHoe. Word of caution - find someone who knows how to balance tires. Talked to my dealer and he uses Road Force balancing which seems to get them the closest possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_balance

Last edited by slk2k; 05-04-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I got the 22 inches bridgestone dueler alenzas and it has been great. up to 60k miles and enough meat to last another 10k more.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
I got the 22 inches bridgestone dueler alenzas and it has been great. up to 60k miles and enough meat to last another 10k more.
Good to know since we just bought the denali hybrid and it came with the 22's and the Bridgstones!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I barely got 30K on the original Bridgestones before it ate the inside edge. I had it aligned at the dealer 3 times trying to resolve this. Several people I spoke with(including the mechanic who aligned it) attribute this to the vehicle being "sprung" for 20" wheels/tires, he said he always sees this issue with the smaller rims/tires. Sounds logical since I did have a 2007 Denali that went 75K on the original 20" Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas(completely different tire than the dueler 684 II that come stock on the Tahoe Hybrid).
I swiched to Michelin LTX A/S 255/70 R18 and the difference is simply amazing, it rides much smoother, no harmonic vibration all the way up to the speed limiter, no more balancing problems, wears perfecty even, and gets ever so slightly better MPG.
The reason for the size change is, the stock tire size (265/65 R18) is somewhat of an odd size, the selection is very limited and the good ones that are available are priced extraordinarily high. 255/70 R18 is a way more common size, there is a wide selection and they are competitively priced. It is only about one millimeter different from the stock size, so it has no effect on the hybrid system or the speedometer, visually they look the same as well.
I usually try to use Michelins if I can and even though the LTX A/S is a lower end michelin, it is far, far superior to the stock Bridgestones.
I can get the 255/70 R18 as takeoffs for about $25 each with 80% tread. The reason they are so cheap is, they come stock on toyota pickup trucks, When a local Toyota dealer takes a late model trade and they plan on selling it as a "CPO" vehicle, they change the tires and brakes whether it needs it or not.(at least this is what the tire guy told me)

Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I will keep an eye on the wear...we have around 4000 miles so far, not enough to see any abnormal patterns, but so far they seem to ride smooth and even. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Administrator

my bridgestone dueler H/L alenzas have 70k miles on them and the local bridgestone measured it to be 7/32. still not ready to be replaced.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM
a2t
Active Enthusiast

I have the michelins you are asking about, they now have 32K miles on them and have been excellent. Looks like they have another 30K left on them.

We had the bridgestones duellers which came with the truck, those were completely bald after 28K miles. These are much better, I would recommend them. I think we paid about $900 for all 4 installed with lifetime balance, rotation, roadside, and an oil change. This was after a $75 mail in rebate Michelin does from time to time.

Ive heard the H/L alenzas are also a great tire, but I cant do bridgestone again after the Dueller's only lasting 28K.

Quick Reply: Looking at the Michelin LTX-MS2, Opinions??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands