New Hybrid owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
Smile New Hybrid owner!

Hello everyone! I am about to pick up a used 08 Tahoe Hybrid om Wednesday after waiting for a week for the Capital One check to clear, the dealer did not want to release the car until the check cleared... Anyway....

Here is the lowdown on my truck:
Black 08 Tahoe Hybrid
Approx 63000 miles
Has been in two accidents according to carfax but looks and drives well. Also shows the car was taken in regularly for maintenance schedules.

I was wondering after taking in all the information on this site (good and bad) just what else i should look for besides the following.

Wiring harness issue
Brake issues after losing power
Door locks
Battery under power issue
Oxygen sensor issue

Also anyone use an extended warranty service like warranty direct?

Thank you

Herm

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Default Re: New Hybrid owner!

welcome! no issues that is not correctable in your hybrid. I think it has a transferable powertrain warranty up to 100k/7 years related to hybrid equipment.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast

First Day with New Hybrid!!!

So far I am loving it. The mileage is amazing and I am quickly learning about the sweet spot to keep the engine from turning on.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default welcome aboard!

I have an 08 yukon and I am very pleased with it overall.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hermetics

So far I am loving it. The mileage is amazing and I am quickly learning about the sweet spot to keep the engine from turning on.
There are two basic methods for improving your overall gas mileage.

You've found how to keep engine off and run on just electric. This can help mileage a bit, but of course you have a limited electric range and electric speed. Still - on short trips around town where the mileage typically is poor, this can help quite a bit.

The second method is to try and keep the vehicle in 4 cylinder mode as much as possible. You can see whether you are in 4 cylinders or 8 cylinders on one of the screens on the DIC. Using the extra torque supplied by the electric motors to keep running in 4 cylinders for longer periods of time then your would without the hybrid is the primary gas saver mode. If you are on windy, rolling terrain you can try and use it to your advantage to build momentum on downhills and not crest up the hills at full power. If you are on a flat and don't have traffic behind you - you can try to pulse and glide technique which is frequently discussed on Prius Chat forums. Basically, when in 8 cylinders - take the speed up a little above the speed limit, then back off so you are in 4 cylinder mode and try and keep it there as long a possible (by gliding or slightly slowing over a mile or so), then back into 8 and accelerate, etc. Eventually, like the Prius, you can get a feel for when the engine switches between 4 and 8 cylinders, so you don't think about what you're doing that much - just drive by touch.

I find when you get above 55, the super high MPG's are hard to keep, and at about 65 MPH the government rating on the sticker is hard to achieve. When I'm on roads where I'm travelling 40-55, that seems to be where I can push it towards 30 MPG. At 70 MPH I'm lucky to break 20 MPG.

I recently went from Tahoe to Portland and got 23.7 MPG and thought that was pretty good for that long of a trip, which included a good length of highway driving.

Have fun with it!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hermetics

Hermetics, I'm so pleased to hear about your new purchase! Glad to see you're enjoying the experience so far and that the community has shared such helpful advice, and if you ever have lingering questions please send me a direct message anytime.
Katie
GM Customer Service

Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Hermetics, I'm so pleased to hear about your new purchase! Glad to see you're enjoying the experience so far and that the community has shared such helpful advice, and if you ever have lingering questions please send me a direct message anytime.
Katie
GM Customer Service
Thank You!