Old 12-19-2022, 08:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: the Nexcell project lithium post

Done

Old 12-22-2022, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thank You for posting a link to the GM / Chevrolet Hybrid OBD PID's
For some reason is is impossible to find directly.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steckrca
That's the one I bought, thanks!

Can you share your source for the battery modules? Did you get them directly from Nexcell? I'm not sure I'll get the budget needed to pay retail for the batteries or to buy a complete pack.
Here you go.

He has them in stock right now, I've been messaging with Jack as I need one myself.

https://projectlithium.com/products/...pack-20-blocks

Old 12-22-2022, 08:13 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mishipeshu
Here you go.

He has them in stock right now, I've been messaging with Jack as I need one myself.

https://projectlithium.com/products/...pack-20-blocks

if you do get them, snap a pick of the label with the capacity ratings and stuff. I'd be curious to see compared to the pics at the start from this thread.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:50 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

just an update as what I've seen from the first cold to hit us. it hit 32deg about 4pm yesterday and dropped into the teens by 8pm. I checked the battery Temps at 4am before I left for work, so a good amount of time below 32deg. the battery Temps before cranking showed 30deg for sensor one and 34deg for 2,3 and 4. so I then cranked it and watched. it fired right up, but i noticed it did not charge the battery. my scanner shows positive amps for discharge and neg amps when it's charging the pack. on a warm day it shows the 20 or so amps to crank, and then pretty quickly starts putting 4 to 7 back into it. but when it was cold it did not, it just showed 1 of 2 positive amp draw. temp sensor 1 slowly came up to 32 and then I saw a flicker of - 0.8 amps for like one cycle of data and then back to positive.

i didn't drive the truck, just connected, took a look and then watched when it idled for a few minutes. so there might be a chance there's some programing in there to not charge even the nmhi batteries if not needed under 0c Temps too. I wouldn't go hop in and drive it, if it regens it will probably charge it and if I'm understanding the lithium batteries correctly, it's the charging at a fast rate under 0deg c that can degrade them. they can be charged at a very slow 0.05c rate down to about - 10 deg c I think it was. but still not great for them. so on cold days when the truck has been parked long enough for the packs to cool down, like over 12h in the mid teens with a wind chill of 7 I think it was haha. pre start the truck with the inside heat on max if cold battery Temps are a concern for you. it might help.

what led me to pulling up the data was I got to thinking and Googled the temp range the nmhi battery are happy at, now our car packs are probably built to a better range than the general specs I found, but still they didn't love the cold either. something like - 5c they aren't happy and around - 20c they can freeze the internal electrolyte and damage the battery. so it got me wondering with how much gm was trying to make these under sized packs last 8 years and 100k warranty, if they might program them to not be abused much while cold either, especially when you have a 6L v8 to drive the truck anyways, the truck could run fine without battery assist while cold byond cranking.

just an observation. my thinking could be completely off base. I have a block heater on my old 96, I might see about one of those stick on heaters they use for aquariums, set for 80deg and stick it to the metal hybrid pack case inside, set to 80deg. just for the off chance it gets parked in say a Colorado snow storm some day haha.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Much like its not allowed to go into 2-mode until the battery pack is 50F and trans temp is 70F, I would agree and not be surprised if they had some level of charge/discharge control at lower temps. They cut their losses to get it started then its up to the ICE and to power it for a while until things heat up. Interested in what you see on a longer drive with it starting in the cold! Like do the LiPo batteries heat up quicker or take longer, etc.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:45 PM
???
Active Enthusiast

yeah I didn't drive it, it's the wife's daily and I never drove it in the cold on the oem battery pack before it gave up. but I think I can say the side effects of a badly degraded oem pack is it got hot very quickly, like it seemed to always be a 100deg or more when driving and being much more mass and metal it held its heat a lot longer. so it's not really fair to compare the 2.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ???
if you do get them, snap a pick of the label with the capacity ratings and stuff. I'd be curious to see compared to the pics at the start from this thread.
Will do

Old 12-28-2022, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steckrca
I'll give you the background on the truck quickly:
  • Truck was based in Phoenix since new at our other locatiion. We transferred it here to Savannah, GA last week, and I took ownership of getting it back up to 100%. A lot of cosmetic issues mostly.
  • When picked up: Service brake system. Service hybrid system. Service traction control. Service stabilitrak. CEL on. Got reports of it stalling in park, but I'm almost surely convinced that someone just didn't know that it was going into auto stop.
  • I put a charger on it when I got home, left it overnight. I did heed the "no charging with key on" warnings. After charging overnight, battery capacity on my "smart" charger still showed "low". The brake, traction control, and stabilitrak warnings all went away.
  • After end of day, driving home, truck stalled, and when restarted all the afore mentioned warnings returned. New 12V battery installed right then. Brake, traction control, and stabilitrak warnings have not returned since new 12V battery installed.
The "service hybrid system" message is what prompted me to start looking at the batteries. More from a budgetary perspective, If the batteries need replacing, the mothership probably won't approve my budget for repairs. If it is mostly cosmetic, I'll probably get approval and can move forward. I figure I need to determine what the most expensive repair needed is before looking at the cosmetics. End goal is just to get the truck to a point where visitors from HQ can drive it while in town, we can trust its reliability, and most importantly we won't be embarrassed by the truck. In our location we've always taken great care of the company vehicles and I'd like to maintain that reputation.
Regarding the "Check Hybrid System" Search for the thread from me lvflyer. It goes into great detail on recall and stuff.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

OK so I've got some questions on these. First I'm an amateur when it comes to building and testing LiFePO4 batteries, but I know more than most. As S Keith points out, without being able to program the ECM to take advantage of the properties of these vs. NiMH we will not get the full advantages. Personally in my 2013 Yukon Hybrid with stock NiMH I don't see much over 76% SOC and rarely over 16.7 volts per cell on mine. Even in long breaking I never see it go above those numbers. One of my disappointments is the inability to use the battery power only for stretches without being very gentle on acceleration. Since you never drove with a normal pack you probably can't answer this. I wish others with experience on these were in the thread. I have learned in neighborhoods where speed limits are low to accelerate to speed and briefly let off the throttle to allow it to kick into auto stop and continue for up to a mile without V8 kicking in. The slightest need for acceleration starts the engine though in traffic. Does the new pack give you a bit more ability to move some before start up? Would be nice to change whatever it is that causes the engine to start. I've watched the battery pack and it isn't because there isn't enough amps available, it has to be something that GM put in the program. Heck look at what a Tesla Plaid can do. These batteries have more than enough power to get a lot further than GM allows. Since I lost one of my lifters and installed the Range device my mileage dropped to 16mpg overall. Before that it was at 18mpg combined, driving Uber. So I wonder if the LiFe upgrade would improve that. I'm sure it would if we could change the GM settings. Sounds like it did on yours. I don't have a heavy foot, but sure like to have it there if needed. After all this is a big beast to get rolling and stopped. As to cold mine won't go into auto stop this past week. Of course our temps were in single digits. I assume the battery pack never got warm enough in the short drives I take. It still charged, and still showed as assisting, but never would go to auto stop.

Quick Reply: the Nexcell project lithium post

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands