OBD 2 Scanner/Calibration Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default OBD 2 Scanner/Calibration Recommendations

Hey all - short of buying a used TECH 2 online for $$$ I am wondering if anyone has any experience with other brands of OBD 2 scanners. I currently have two bluetooth dongles for various monitoring and clearing codes in most modules, but none of them can do bi-directional actions or calibrate systems.

I am in it with my truck for the long haul...love the thing and I am an avid DIYer. Rather than going to the dealer to have them calibrate things like SAS, EPS center, ABS bleeds, etc, I really want to get a TECH 2-like tool. I see Amazon has a lot of options. Anyone here have a recommendation? Thanks!

Old 02-17-2022, 09:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OBD 2 Scanner/Calibration Recommendations

I have a VCX Nano
Amazon Amazon

You can install a Windows version of the Tech2 scanner that is kind of buggy, but better than nothing.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I will look into this. Do you need the GM subscription at all to access special modules on the Hybrid trucks? I also see the Foxwell products that say they have bi-directional support but I can't figure out if it gets down to being able to run calibration services on things like the EPS.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can use the *cough*pirated*cough* emulated Tech2 that comes with the device to read all the modules, but if you want to do any reprogramming you need to get an official GM subscription that lets you do that and use official software specifically for that.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:10 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaime
You can use the *cough*pirated*cough* emulated Tech2 that comes with the device to read all the modules, but if you want to do any reprogramming you need to get an official GM subscription that lets you do that and use official software specifically for that.

I've seen some videos on youtube were it looks like people have been about to access the gm paid subscription service, I guess they offer like a paid week long access and flash modules.

I kinda want to pick up one of the 200$ tech2, but I don't know if they can do that or not. but feel like the scanner would be way more handy..

I'm not sure knock off or clone is the correct word for these things, from what I've read, gm had tech 2's made in this same Chinese factory. once they moved on to their next dealer level software, they don't deal with any copyright right stuff over there and not sure gm ever wasted the money to copyright a scanner. they just kept selling them, all be it with the old non current software.

I did see a YouTube that someone was able to reset a vehicle accident no start code with the 200$ tech2. so that seem to get pretty deep to be able to do that.

​​​​​​I have to many gm vehicles, I might pick one up to try, but that nano adapter has me wanting it too. hell maybe I should just get both. would still be cheaper and probably more useful than hptuners scanner that you can't even add pids too lol