Oberstations in 1st month of Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oberstations in 1st month of Ownership

I bought a new 2008 Tahoe Hybrid about a month ago. Here is what I think so far.

EFFICIENCY
It came from the dealer with the tires at various psi (anywhere form 32 - 36). The first couple of weeks I avgd 22mpg.

I live in the Dallas area and recently we had some cold weather (did not get out of the 30s). And when I did city driving in this weather, the Autostop did not come one as quickly as it normally does. So my efficiency suffered from sitting at red lights with the ICE running. Also, in parking lots when driving < 10mph, it would not go into battery mode but stayed full ICE mode. I guess this was because of the cold and because I did not drive long enough to heat up the engine so I could run on battery only.

A few days ago, I changed to 39psi in front & 38 psi in the back. I've made 4 trips for a total of about 40 miles. And the computer says now I average 25.6mpg. I'll have to test this some more before I completely believe it. I 'm also curious If I can increase psi over 40 without any side effects that make it not worthwhile.

HATES
Hybrid Decals. Using a hairdryer and fingernails I took off all but the 'H' sticker on the two windows. Also removed all the body panel emblems. Dealer wanted to charge me $60 since I didn't ask before I purchased.

No fog lights. I like the look with fog lights better, but I guess I can live without.

No Spare tire. This one worries me. Does anyone know if the truck has a mount to hold a spare tire? If it does, then I might swap the weight of the 3rd row seats for a spare.

The NAV lockout sucks. The lockpick from coastaltech seems to be the only solution, but they only sell GEN5 and it is $250. For that much I can use my TOM TOM.

LOVES
I was happy with 22mpg, but if I can really get 25mpg that would be wonderful.

Being able to drive around the mall/shopping centers in all electric is great. It saves a lot of gas, plus it's like I am in a spy car. Transition between electric, 4,and 8 mode all is pretty transparent.

We had a Cadillac CTS and it was always full with 2 kids, stroller, and all the other stuff that comes along with twins. Now we have plenty of space.

Backup camera lets me back it into the garage with only 1" left between the truck and the wall.

Overall I am very happy with the hybrid. Especially since I got 15K off of MSRP.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oberstations in 1st month of Ownership

I meant.
Observations

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM
FLY NAVY!

good to hear! I just picked mine up today! (jan 30) thanks for the tire tip I think ill check all my pressures. mine has the TPM system but I don't know what the tolerances are. I agree with the hybrid stickers but for now my wife wants me to leave them on for the SMUG factor! lol!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Have had mine for one month also, wish I had your mileage numbers. Here in Michigan, haven't been above freezing yet, so my ICE almost always on. Called GM, got a rep who after my fifth chalange admitted he was in the Philipines, so he and I agreed he had not the first clue what cold was all about. My dealer "Hybrid expert" says it is all about the cold, so be patient. My average is about 19--still better than my 02 Yukon XL.

Haven't done anything about the stickers yet--covered with road salt, so not very visable yet!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Chevy Man

Congrats to all of you new owners.

With regards to the tire pressure, the more you inflate it over the recommended OEM specs the more you will unevenly wear the tires. When the tires are over-inflated you will wear the center of the tread more.

As for the spare tire, according to the GM Accessory Website you can buy a spare kit and rim from your dealer for around $675 plus the Tire and and then have to pay to have it installed unless you are capable. Check out the website:
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/acc...e%5D=gm_wheels

With regards to the decals, your dealer screwed you. There is actually a warranty bulletin that allows the dealer to get paid from General Motors under a warranty claim for removing the decals to comply with state laws and or customer satisfaction.

The new generation LockPick is available for $349.
http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

alb810- I am in CT and get 19MPG as well. Your dealer is correct and once we get into the spring and summer months we should both see an increase in MPG.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Nice observations.

I too am in Dallas, TX and bought a new 2008 Tahoe for $38k two months ago!

I had them remove all of the hybrid decals. I only kept the H's on the side and rear. I did keep the Tahoe emblems on the side and back as well.

The rest had to go!

I also feel like I am Batman or a spy as you said when I drive it around in battery mode...especially at night time. Too cool!

I may have to try 39 PSI for my tires if you really got that much more MPG out of them! Very nice.

I bought the lockpick and an entire new audio system when live.com had that 35% off promo. It is so nice watching movies while in traffic. After that ice storm, it took me about 1.5 hours to get to work but time flew by as I watched Starsky and Hutch. LOL

My sound system is SOOO much better now. As a big home theater guy, I have to have quality the sound.

The Bose system is awful in the Tahoe. I will be glad to show you mine if you want to check it out since you live in Dallas.

I also had the front and rear bow ties painted black to match my black Tahoe. It looks so much better now.

The Parrot bluetooth kit is the best thing I have added though. I could not imagine not having it.

I posted a lot of this in another thread and will take more pictures soon.

My new 18" chrome Escalade rims arrive on Tuesday. Sorry but I just think the standard Hybrid wheels look really cheap. On a Black Tahoe, you HAVE to get chrome wheels.

Pics next week.

Overall, I love the room and ride of the Tahoe. Great car!

Nice to see someone else got a nice deal!

Although, I read over at tahoeforums that a guy got a demo with 4k miles for $28k!!!!

My biggest complaint: the large wheel wells! Why are they so much bigger than the standard Tahoe? <sigh>

The front end rocks though. Love the size and mean look of it.

Last edited by Gruson; 01-30-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great thread -- really interesting observations.

Looking forward to the pics Gruson.

I have never even averaged 19 mpg in the few Canadian winter months I have had mine. The reader has always been somewhere in the 18's. I'm glad to hear that it will be better with warmer weather but I do a lot of highway driving so probably not much.

The spare tire thing concerns me too since I drive in areas with no cell coverage but in the past 10 years I owned a Silverado I never had one flat (knock wood). I regularly replaced the tires and blowouts are rare on good tires -- the sealant should work with most other flats. At least that is what I keep telling myself when I head out with no spare.

The no bluetooth on the '08 is my pet peeve but I hope to fix that soon through the lockpic. As Gruson said, the lockpic does much more than just unblock navagation while driving. I can now watch Hannah Montanna with my 3 daughters as we drive to the lake.

Overall, I am very pleased with the vehicle but I am concerned with the shaking problems some have had - and mine seems to be showing -- leading to engine replacements.

Gruson, please tell me that one for 38K was 2WD!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, mine is 2WD.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gruson
Although, I read over at tahoeforums that a guy got a demo with 4k miles for $28k!!!!

I meant to say $28K you mentioned here - sounds too good to be true even for a 2WD.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Ok guys,
Here are the pics of the Tahoe with new 18" chrome Escalade wheels.

World of difference IMO.

You can also see how I removed most of the stickers and emblems. Painted the front and rear emblems black. I hated the gold Chevy bows!

Enjoy the pics. I love this ride!

Quick Reply: Oberstations in 1st month of Ownership

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands