off to the tire store...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default off to the tire store...UPDATE

...I decided to just replace my stock tires with the goodyear foretera tripletread. its less expensive than a second set and should give good 4 season performance based on the ratings I have found.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....d&autoModClar=

spent this evening driving around on snow taking some old folks around to see Christmas lights. 2WD only slipery conditions and the tires performed very well. NO wheel spin at all, no rear end swapping under power, no sliding even going downhill on snow pack/ice. I wasn't driving with "excess enthusiasm" but I was paying close attention---so far I'm very pleased.

Last edited by jet1; 12-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: off to the tire store...

I had a set of Assurance TripleTreads that made it to 72K miles, and I was pretty happy with them. They could have gone a little more, but one took a nail and they were getting pretty thin. They weren't cheap, but it's the first tire I've had in a long time that came anywhere near its mileage rating.

But don't overinflate them, though. Since there isn't as much material in the center due to the tread pattern, the shoulders are supposed to take a lot of the wear. On most tires I've had, the shoulders wear out first since they take the bulk of the cornering loads. So I found that inflating to 3-5 psi over the vehicle recommended pressure gave pretty even wear. Not so with Triple Treads. Stick to the recommended pressures for the vehicle.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default thanks for the tip...

they are not cheap either $800 and change mounted balanced etc. they gave me $45.00 each for my takeoffs as they were in very good shape and i'm sure they will double their price when they sell them. I just feel better about having better tires to control the conditions I can't IE the weather!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jet 1 I am trying to make a decision as well can you let me know how they handle the bad weather when you get into some. I have decided as well to go to a four season/off road tire.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default eill do...

Originally Posted by kklein
Jet 1 I am trying to make a decision as well can you let me know how they handle the bad weather when you get into some. I have decided as well to go to a four season/off road tire.
so far so good, we had snow this AM and although you can break the rear end loose in 2WD it recovers very nicely. on the OEM's (with 14k on them) it just wanted to keep going around unless you really backed off of the power. Haven't tried 4WD yet as there is not enough snow to warrant its use yet. I was told by a very senior GM technical guy that the AUTO setting should be avoided unless the roads are wet/snowy as it can cause premature transfer case issues if used on dry pavement so I am avoiding that setting so far. When the roads get snow packed I'll try it (auto) and 4WD to see the differences. The rating on this tire from several sources is so high that I think they should be pretty good performers.

Last edited by jet1; 12-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Jet 1 thanks for the information you have been very helpful.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Jet 1 I was able to finally find some Goodyear tripple tread tires like yours in Canada, I will recieve them next week. Hope they work well in our snow and ice. The factory supplied tires are the only item I do not like. For such a great vehicle they should have installed a top end tire.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Jet 1 I was just on the Canadian Goodyear site and they are having a GoodYear $1.10 Event "Get There". 10% off with the savings you make you could double it and send it to the relief effort in Haiti.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kklein
For such a great vehicle they should have installed a top end tire....
what oem tires do you have in your hybrid. is it the dueler H/L Alenza's? if it is, it is a top-end tire.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Hi Evois
My are Bridgestone Duelers H/T, they are good tires in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. However they are terrible in ice and snow,especially ice, and we have a lot of both thats why i had to change.

Quick Reply: off to the tire store...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands