Premature tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default Premature tire wear?

My 2008 Yukon hybrid is excessively squealing the tires when turning into or out of a parking stall. Took to dealer, who checked out the front end, told me all front end parts are good and that the noise is because the tires are worn out. Vehicle has 265/65/18 Bridgestone Dueller H/T. Just over 33,000 miles. Dealer claims I should expect increased tire wear because of the extra weight of the batteries in the Hybrid??? Told me I should replace all four tires and have the front end aligned. Said he talked to the manager and they would replace two of the tires under warranty, and that the other two with alignment would run $470. I asked if I should expect to change tires every 30000. He said, "no you should expect 60,000-65,000 from the new set." I asked if we should change to a different type of tire for better mileage and he informed me we have to stay with the same tire to honor the warranty. I asked why I should expect the mileage to double with the new set and he said that the tires GM purchases for the new vehicles are softer and wear out faster????? He claimed that they have seen some issues with this tire. I asked how long the "deal" was good for on the warranty of two tires? He answered 30 days. I picked up the vehicle and inspected the tires more closely, very even wear but they are worn past 2/32. Been a Ford guy all my life but the 2 mode really appealled to me. With the Fords, always getting 70,000 - 75,000 on the Goodyear Wrangler R/T. Ok, Yukon hybrid owners, what's your opinion? Anyone ever heard of the softer tire thing? or the hybrid battery weight causing more wear?? How about the warranty, why would the dealer only warranty two of the tires?? Has anyone put a second set of Duellers on and got the increased mileage???

Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default well...

the bridgestones are designed as a low rolling resistance tire. They are speed rated to only 97 mph which is why your yukon will not go faster than that. Harder tire compounds give higher speed ratings and typically will wear better than soft compounds.
as to mileage I am surprized that you got as much out of them as you did and one factor that needs to be taken in is what tire pressure did you run. On my yukon I run 36 psi at all four corners.

IMHO the bridgestones are CRAP. I live in snow country and in both rain and snow when running in 2 WD I could break the rear end loose easily.
I switched to goodyear fortera triple treads http://www.goodyeartires.com/cfmx/we...ht%20Truck&ms= and what a difference! these are great tires and have 4 times the traction of the stock tires. as to wear, I only have about 5000 miles on them so I cant address that but remember the yukon is big and heavy and has a lot of tire load so I kind of expect no more than maybe 25k out of them.
Car manufacturers come up with tire specs then go to the vendors and find the best cheap tire that will meet these specs, if they were designing and manufacturing the tire things would be different , and the vehicle would cost a LOT more.
I highly recommend the fortera triple tread as it give me the best combination of traction off road and smooth silent running on the highway.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Premature tire wear?

I changed mine at ~43K (? it is posted here somewhere) and they squealed like pigs all the time. I hated those tires, but they supposedly gave a little better MPG, in theory. In PRACTICE, I get better mileage out of the Triple Treds (same as Jet's) since I can hold much more speed through corners, thus not wasting more energy braking and accelerating for each turn. Low rolling resistance tires are a joke. Don't take the same tires, get the triple treds. I researched a lot of tires, and these are still the best, by far. Also, if the tread wear ratings are correct, these will last a long time. I was very happy to get 40K out of my tires, my full size van I replaced with the Tahoe got about 15K per set of tires and they cost much more.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default good point on the mileage!

"I can hold much more speed through corners, thus not wasting more energy braking and accelerating for each turn."

I totally agree with this although I had never really though of it till now!

good call!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have come to the conclusion that The stock tires that come on the Tahoe Hybrid are garbage! I'm at 22k miles and almost ready for replacement. the inside edges are worn on all four tires, I have had 2 alignments at the dealer to prevent this with no luck(they say everything is within spec, they even gave me a printout), the tread is at 3/32 or less on all tires and I'm getting the characteristic worn out tires droning or wah, wah, wah noise at around 50 MPH. I have rotated every 3K so it's not cupping. i run 36-40 PSI (usually around 38). my previous car, a 2007 yukon got 75K miles on the stock dueler alenza's 20". i discussed with the dealer that 22K for a set of tires is unacceptable but they are unsympathetic. I'm thinking of taking it to a different dealer and see if they think 22K for a set of tires is acceptable.

also, when i did change out the tires on the 2007 yukon, I went with my local discount tires recommendation and put on Falken ziex, i liked these tires for the short time i had them.

Last edited by hybrid-theory; 08-28-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I did not have any luck with the Bridgestone's and the Tripple Thread thanks to Jet's research have been excellent.