so how do you get the cover off...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:26 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default so how do you get the cover off...

..the cover over the intake manifold. I was looking to see if I could install the volant intake system today but being one handed I can't seem to get the rear (firewall) end of the cover off to remove the various bits of plastic intake tube. the front is obvious and just lifts up but the back seems to have a couple of tabs in the middle and I don't want to break anything.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Default Re: so how do you get the cover off...

Vehicle » Engine, Cooling and Exhaust » Engine » Air Cleaner Fresh Air Duct/Hose » Service and Repair Notes

Service and Repair

Air Cleaner Resonator Outlet Duct Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the intake manifold sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement (See: Intake Manifold\Service and Repair\Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement).
Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) line (1) from the air cleaner outlet duct.

Remove the radiator inlet hose clamp clip (2) from the air cleaner outlet duct (1).

Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamp (1) at the mass air flow (MAF)/intake air temperature (IAT) sensor.
Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamp (2) at the throttle body.
Lift up the air cleaner outlet duct at the resonator tab in order to separate the resonator from the stud on the intake manifold.
Remove the air cleaner outlet duct (3) from the throttle body and MAF/IAT sensor.
Installation Procedure

Note: Ensure that the notch in the air cleaner outlet duct throttle body aligns with the boss on top of the throttle body.

Install the air cleaner outlet duct (3) to the throttle body and MAF/IAT sensor. Ensure that the resonator tab aligns with the stud on the intake manifold.
Push down on the air cleaner outlet duct resonator directly over the resonator tab in order to secure the resonator to the stud on the intake manifold.
Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamp (2) at the throttle body. Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution (See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Caution).
Tighten the air cleaner outlet duct clamp (1) at the MAF/IAT sensor. Tighten the clamps to 4 Nm(35 lb in).

Install the radiator inlet hose clamp clip (2) to the air cleaner outlet duct (1).

Install the PCV line (1) to the air cleaner outlet duct.
Install the intake manifold sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement (See: Intake Manifold\Service and Repair\Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement).

Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default thanks! you are fast!

Here is what I really need as I can't start until this cover is off

"Remove the intake manifold sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement "

the rest of that will be of a GREAT help as a cross check! thanks a lot!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

remove the two tabs on top and pull the manifold cover forward. it is held at the back by a hook/clip. just pulling it forward should help.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default great thanks!

I didn't want to force it and break some $75.00 piece of plastic!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jet if you can get your other hand behind the clip you can push the "v" tabs slightly together and nothing should break.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Jet, What's cheaper, another surgery or breaking a $75 piece of plastic?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default actually the surgery is free...

Originally Posted by fjungman
Jet, What's cheaper, another surgery or breaking a $75 piece of plastic?
however not pain free...I actually have multiple health insurance options...of course when president Osammas plan kicks in I will probably lose out on a lot but .... oh well. Im seriously thinking of moving to Ireland in 3 years. they have lots of water, really bad weather and NOTHING else so no one wants to invade them or take them over!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Obama just helped my child that has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He will now be able to get insurance if there is ever a lapse in his coverage. Previously, he would be locked-out for life if he ever lost coverage for even one day. I applaud the new healthcare law, and I have awesome insurance now. I might lose a little, but overall, a lot of people are gaining.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jet I am half Irish and the pubs are great on bad days.