Spare Tire/Exhaust Reroute

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Spare Tire/Exhaust Reroute

Hello fellow Hybriders,

Jason, thanks for the kind welcome to the board.

I bought a 2007 Yukon Hybrid late 2008 and already have 30K miles. When I purchased it, I didn't do my homework about the spare tire, so I had no idea it didn't come with one, and it never crossed my mind to ask.

In any case, I've read through most of the 16 pages of threads and keep seeing hints about installing the spare in its rightful place, but didn't see that anyone actually did it. If I missed it, can you please point me to the thread?

Obviously I need to get rid of the resonator to make the space. I enjoyed seeing the custom chrome-tips....pretty sweet.

First, I've got 18" wheels. Will I be able to fit one of those in that space, or do I need to do 17" wheels and adjust my tire size?

Second is installation. Can I just use the hoist system standard on non-hybrids, and/or is there more to it than that, besides carving out the hole in the bumper and putting the cover over it?

Otherwise, been overall happy with the car. Just a few gripes:
1) Carpeted back-side of driver's seat keeps falling to the ground, as they used standard paper staples to secure it. The dealership tried a velcro strip, but the Texas heat has caused it to not stick
2) I've had the "jolt" issue happen 3 times, in forward or reverse at a standstill when starting to accelerate, one very recently.
3) The airflow (heat or AC) doesn't keep the passenger's feet very comfortable, and the dealership tested it, saying it flowed normally.

Hopefully those are the worst of my problems, as it seems like some other owners had much worse first-model troubles.

Let me know if you can help, and thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spare Tire/Exhaust Reroute

Welcome Jeff!
I did the exhaust reroute, but with AAA and OnStar, I don't find need for a spare. In Texas, I would have one! I understand your assumptions are all correct, but I would not know about the 18" fitting. I would think if the diameter were the same as the 17", it should fit.
On issue #1, I've never heard of it, but I would just tell the dealer to get it to an upholstery shop if they can't do it. It is a special seat (Hybrid only) so they probably don't know what they are doing with it. They cut weight out of the seat, so it is thinner and maybe the staples missed their target. Mine has held up to 45K miles, a lot of which have been driven with my boys kicking it with football cleats.
#2, don't know of the "jolt" issue.
#3, my wife is always freezing, so I don't have that issue, but I could see that being a problem in Texas. Since climate control always becomes a personal issue, you might try over-ridding the automatic direction control and divert the airflow to bi-level so more goes to the floor. If it is only that side, and you plan to keep it for a while, take a look at the floor vent itself and see if you can open it up more or direct it more towards the passenger's feet. Also, restricting alternate paths slightly would divert more towards that outlet, but be careful, as that could cause noise if done improperly.

Best of luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default to the best of my knowledge..

...all of the stock non hybrid tire mount stuff will bolt in to place as the hardware for them is built in to the car. I have removed my resonator and have the dual side tip exhaust so I can take a picture for you of what it looks like under there if you are interested.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I guess I should have asked the following question first:

What rim and tire size is the non-hybrid spare tire? I guess I need to know how tall the overall diameter can be to still fit. Otherwise, if I had to drive on a smaller spare for a little while it wouldn't be a killer on the car. I'm assuming the bolt pattern wouldn't change between a 17" and 18" rim, so I'd still be able to use a 17" rim spare in case I had to?

Jet1, if you have the spare installed, I'd enjoy seeing some pictures. Besides, I wouldn't mind seeing the exhaust, either, with or without the spare.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PBRLives
Hello fellow Hybriders,

Jason, thanks for the kind welcome to the board.

I bought a 2007 Yukon Hybrid late 2008 and already have 30K miles. When I purchased it, I didn't do my homework about the spare tire, so I had no idea it didn't come with one, and it never crossed my mind to ask.

In any case, I've read through most of the 16 pages of threads and keep seeing hints about installing the spare in its rightful place, but didn't see that anyone actually did it. If I missed it, can you please point me to the thread?

Obviously I need to get rid of the resonator to make the space. I enjoyed seeing the custom chrome-tips....pretty sweet.

First, I've got 18" wheels. Will I be able to fit one of those in that space, or do I need to do 17" wheels and adjust my tire size?

Second is installation. Can I just use the hoist system standard on non-hybrids, and/or is there more to it than that, besides carving out the hole in the bumper and putting the cover over it?

Otherwise, been overall happy with the car. Just a few gripes:
1) Carpeted back-side of driver's seat keeps falling to the ground, as they used standard paper staples to secure it. The dealership tried a velcro strip, but the Texas heat has caused it to not stick
2) I've had the "jolt" issue happen 3 times, in forward or reverse at a standstill when starting to accelerate, one very recently.
3) The airflow (heat or AC) doesn't keep the passenger's feet very comfortable, and the dealership tested it, saying it flowed normally.

Hopefully those are the worst of my problems, as it seems like some other owners had much worse first-model troubles.

Let me know if you can help, and thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Spare Tire/Exhaust Reroute

If anyone is interested in purchasing an ORIGINAL OEM Yukon Hybrid Sparet Tire Kit, including the tire, please contact: jamac4@verizon.net.

It is in the original unopened box, and you can buy it for MUCH less than the dealer price!!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

Message sent... where are you located? Is the kit the same for Tahoe and Yukon?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcsaner
If anyone is interested in purchasing an ORIGINAL OEM Yukon Hybrid Sparet Tire Kit, including the tire, please contact: jamac4@verizon.net.

It is in the original unopened box, and you can buy it for MUCH less than the dealer price!!
When you do sell the Spare Tire Kit you have in stock, Could you do us a favour please, And post the part number of the Spare tire kit you have??? That would be very helpful if you could post the number. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danoboy
Message sent... where are you located? Is the kit the same for Tahoe and Yukon?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Dan!

The Spare Tire Kit is the same for both. I am located 18 miles West of New York City.