for those who asked about my roof rack....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default for those who asked about my roof rack....

here is a link to lots of photos of the thule system I had installed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11649167...nAerodynamics#

It is all removable down to the foot mounts that clip in to the track so the aerodynamic issues are not worth discussing. I have shots of it with the hullavators and kayaks on the car and being unloaded. The last couple of pics are of the light bar that I use on the ramp at Reno for the races which I am leaving for this wed. through all next week.
www.airrace.org life begins at 400 knots 50 feet above the hard deck!

Last edited by jet1; 09-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: for those who asked about my roof rack....

I dig the way the racks slide off the side to allow the tailgate to be opened. Nice touch. Overall, it is a nice looking ride. You go plate-less on the front, too. My friends call mine the "bat-mobile" with the black hybrid front, no plate, that low chin spoiler and dropped two inches. It is quite intimidating. I can only imagine that thing with the light bar getting behind you in traffic. Only the chrome grill would make you think you may not be getting pulled over...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
FLY NAVY!

"I can only imagine that thing with the light bar getting behind you in traffic. "

If you look closely you will see flashers in the grill or rather behind it. Lets just say its not on there all the time but when it is I have no trouble getting people who are driving too slow in the fast lane to move over quickly after they glance in their mirror!

Last edited by jet1; 09-07-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Jet,
Very Nice pictures,
How do you install the rack rails on the roof of your Yukon, does it require any drilling ?
Thanks

Guss

Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Jet,

Can you let us know what type of hardware was used to install the rails? Did they use wellnuts, etc.? I suppose the same mounting hardware could be used to install an OEM rail from a Denali or Standard Yukon. Also, who installed it for you? Thanks.

Patrick

Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by Guss
Jet,
Very Nice pictures,
How do you install the rack rails on the roof of your Yukon, does it require any drilling ?
Thanks

Guss
yep.....there is a compression nut and screw assembly. you drill a hole, put in the compression nuts put the rail on then screw it down. I had it done at a rack installer guaranteed for as long as I own the car against rust and leaks.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default yes its a compression nut

they are small so I dont know if you could use them for a heavy rack. there are 12 screws per side to each rail.

Last edited by jet1; 09-09-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Thanks Jet

Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

More interested in the grill lites. I take it from your coment those are not fog lamps. Did you install yourself, and where did you tie them into the system? Is there a separate control switch?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
FLY NAVY!

Originally Posted by alb810
More interested in the grill lites. I take it from your coment those are not fog lamps. Did you install yourself, and where did you tie them into the system? Is there a separate control switch?
the answers are no they aren't, yes I did,
i will post more info later
I am very busy on the ramp at the Reno air races right now....

Quick Reply: for those who asked about my roof rack....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands