Traction control light

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Traction control light

Every so often the traction control warning light comes on (the orange squiggly lines with the vehicle in the triangle). This is on dry pavement.

When this happens it is almost always within a few minutes of starting, usually in cooler weather, and often when turning at very low speed. Truck is in 2WD.

It doesn't seem to throw any error codes - or at least the dealer hasn't found any. It isn't very reproducible, so hard to get take it to the dealer to diagnose.

Wondering if this happens to anyone else? Is it an indication that something isn't quite right - like a situation where the wheels are supposed to turn independently but don't, or aren't supposed to turn independently and do? Any suggestions about whether it should be pursued or not.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Traction control light

worn speed sensors?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

How do you go about checking for worn speed sensors? Do they indicate wear to the computer, or is it a physical inspection.

If the later - is it something that I would see on a visual inspection?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

This may be a Thottle Body or Thottle Posistion sensor issue - not wheel sensors. GM sent a letter to some Hybird owners just last month extending warranties to 10 years for Hybrid owners on the Throttle Bodies.

Your Dealer should know more - I will try to post the letter when I can.

Originally Posted by LakeSilverado
Every so often the traction control warning light comes on (the orange squiggly lines with the vehicle in the triangle). This is on dry pavement.

When this happens it is almost always within a few minutes of starting, usually in cooler weather, and often when turning at very low speed. Truck is in 2WD.

It doesn't seem to throw any error codes - or at least the dealer hasn't found any. It isn't very reproducible, so hard to get take it to the dealer to diagnose.

Wondering if this happens to anyone else? Is it an indication that something isn't quite right - like a situation where the wheels are supposed to turn independently but don't, or aren't supposed to turn independently and do? Any suggestions about whether it should be pursued or not.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Any bumps while accelerating or corning and accelerating? The traction control is overly sensitive in my opinion.

Wheel speed sensors are 2-wire Hall Effect sensors reading pulses from rotating front wheel bearing toothed wheels and tone ring teeth on rear axle shafts.

Some larger tires and wheels can put a little more bending torque into the axle shafts causing a few teeth to be missed or skipped while cornering and forces like accel or braking.

So unless something hits another part... no real wear out per-se.

Next throttle body position sensor problems on many Small Block engines. The GM throttle position sensor system is another extra sensitive system. If all position sensing parts are not in perfect order, you get a light and reduced power.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Administrator

my throttle body was fixed under warranty at 80k miles due to a clicking sound after turning vehicle off without driveability issues. speed sensor check is usually a continuity check on the sensor itself unless it can be done in the ecu box. physical inspection can also help but would still need continuity check.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just retread the original post. My TC light does the same thing on twisty roads and dry pavement. My work silverado hybrid did it as well. I just ignore it. Flickering means it is "derating" the engine or applying the brakes on the slipping wheel to keep you from loosing traction. The system is WAY to sensitive because the lawyers made it that way.

There is a startup test on the TC system. It calibrates itself after every start and takes a few hundred wheel rotations to do it.

UOTE=LakeSilverado;249814]Every so often the traction control warning light comes on (the orange squiggly lines with the vehicle in the triangle). This is on dry pavement.

Wondering if this happens to anyone else? Is it an indication that something isn't quite right - like a situation where the wheels are supposed to turn independently but don't, or aren't supposed to turn independently and do? Any suggestions about whether it should be pursued or not.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's interesting information. The TC light flashing seems to occur always within a 1/2 mile of start up. That seems to jive with your information.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Any bumps while accelerating or corning and accelerating? The traction control is overly sensitive in my opinion.

Wheel speed sensors are 2-wire Hall Effect sensors reading pulses from rotating front wheel bearing toothed wheels and tone ring teeth on rear axle shafts.

Some larger tires and wheels can put a little more bending torque into the axle shafts causing a few teeth to be missed or skipped while cornering and forces like accel or braking.

So unless something hits another part... no real wear out per-se.

Next throttle body position sensor problems on many Small Block engines. The GM throttle position sensor system is another extra sensitive system. If all position sensing parts are not in perfect order, you get a light and reduced power.
No noticeable bumps. I think the wheelbase on the Silverado is longer then the Tahoe, so it probably applies additional bending torque. The one particular spot I see this happen most often is a turn at an intersection on a transition from uphill to downhill. Seems like this could add some extra torque.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

LakeSilverado,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. If you would like for us to look into this further, you can reach out to us via private message. I know it can be frustrating when your concern can't be duplicated while at the dealership.

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Care

Quick Reply: Traction control light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands