Who has lowered theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Who has lowered theirs?

I just ordered a kit from McGaughy's that will lower the front 4" and the rear 5". Still will be too high, but it gets it down out of the stratosphere.

Link to kit 30013

The thing seems to sit high enough to put 30" rims on it without modifications. I am getting new, stock sized, tires on it. Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds. 265/65R18. I figured since I need to align it anyway, why not drop the suspension now.

I'll post before and after pictures. Should boost highway MPG a little due to less wind under the vehicle. The real reason is it should handle better lowering the CG 4"...

Last edited by fjungman; 05-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default uh i thought we wuz sposed to..

git rally big wheeulz an tiars and raze em up reel hiegh, then git them jumpin springz and hopp em up n downe....

Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who has lowered theirs?

Well, I can speak to the quality of the 2" drop spindles in the kit, they are really well built and work well. They seem to be stronger, by a long shot, than the stock units. You have to cut the lower ball joint threads after you are done to clear the 18" rim. This takes about 2 minutes per side with a die grinder. No big deal. Looks great. Seems to not scrape the wheel wells at all anywhere, even on my extreme driveway. I'll wait a couple of weeks for judgment. The airdam does hit on very steep terrain, but who cares, the thing is so flexible.

The 2" front springs were terrible! Completely useless. I drove about four miles and I did not see why I had springs on it, it felt like there were steel rods instead. Every bump crashed through and the tires would bounce off the pavement, even at 30mph. I see a lot of "spring lowered" cars in SoCal, and I have always known this to be the absolutely wrong way to lower a car, but I figured it couldn't be this bad if so many people did it. Well, it is more proof that most people are sheep...

The springs came right back off. Anybody want them...

Also, the rear 5" kit, which was 2" shackles and 3" spring could not be used as just shackles, the control arms wouldn't line up without the lowered springs. So the back-end is stock height for now. I'll see about dropping it 2-3" without changing the springs in the future. I looks good now, but I would like to bring it down a little.

The Triple Treds are AMAZING!!!!!! WOW!!!! The truck is much quieter, smoother, turns better, no squeal around turns and looks better. Now I need to find some tight on-ramps...

Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Who has lowered theirs?

I was just following a tahoe police truck and it looked lowered than my escalade. I don't know if it was lowered intentionally or just the police equipment.