HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

04 HCH CVT Steering problem- 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 04 HCH CVT Steering problem- 21k miles

All HCH's have electric power steering (EPS).

HCH-I's (2003-2005) have had some (relatively rare?) problems with steering racks. My HCH-I had a bad steering rack which is being replaced under warranty.

Starting with the 2006 model year, HCH-II's use a completely redesigned steering rack. I am not aware of anyone having problems with steering racks in the new design, just in the 2003-2005 (HCH-I) years. Hopefully this steering rack problems disappeared with the redesign.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oh, I thought it was introduced to us in the 2006 model year. H

Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default My Steering problem has been fixed!

My '05 HCH has just returned from it's "extreme steering makeover" and now actually drives exactly where it's pointed, just like it should. No more bouncing back and forth between the lines. Bring on those narrow Jersey barrier lanes!

What it needed was a new power steering rack AND an EPS control unit. Fortunately, I was still within the warranty period (@31K), otherwise I would have been out over $1,500.00. Good on Honda for standing behind their products in the end.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 04 with the same problem. I have checked everything past the rack and before the rack so I believe the problem is with the rack itself. But here is something weird I have noticed. If you turn the wheel back and forth a little at a stop there is no tightness, it springs back to the center after pulling it either left or right(it feels completely normal). But after getting above 2-3 mph it turns stiff in the middle and will not return to center as it should. If I come to a stop and try to turn the wheel it is stiff for 2-3 wiggles(just rocking it back and forth a little) then it begins to return to center and have no drag again.
So I'm thinking it has something to do with the electronics and not the rack itself. It was mentioned that one fix for this was a rack and a new computer, so maybe the real culprit for this condition is the EPS computer?????????? Any input??????? Thank you

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pahch
So I'm thinking it has something to do with the electronics and not the rack itself. It was mentioned that one fix for this was a rack and a new computer, so maybe the real culprit for this condition is the EPS computer?????????? Any input??????? Thank you
Well, perhaps your particular situation could be better assessed with the wheels off the ground and the power to the PS unit off (ignition switchin ACC position). Even better to disconnect the tie rod ends too. Any initial tightness would then have to be due to either the rack or the steering column. In my case, there was an initial tightness. Subsequently disconnecting the steering column eliminated that as the culprit. At that point I was 100% convinced the problem was in the rack itself.

In my case the real challenge was not so much isolating the cause of the problem, it was getting the dealer's service manager to even acknowledge that there WAS a problem. But that's a whole other story.....

When they finally did replace the rack they also replaced the PS ECU as well, which kind of surprised me. I guess maybe they had had enough of me and wanted to be sure they had covered all the bases.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, my '05 HCH has 72k miles and has just started pulling to the right. When I adjust to the right a bit it seems to stay put. I'll verify that this afternoon.
Just had a front end alignment done which didn't seem to help any..?
I'll double check my tire pressure. It seemed to start after I got my tires rotated and balanced.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

I bet your tire pull is because of the tires, You may want to rotate them around to try and eliminate it.

Here is an update on my steering issue.
I went to the local Honda dealer and asked them to go for a ride with me. So a tech drove my car and it seemed a little tight to him also. They had a used 04 Civic Hybrid on the lot so we took it for a drive also. It seemed to drive the same as mine????. Moving down the road the wheel simply will not center itself. Could some of you please let me know if your Hybrid acts like mine does. It seems as though it may be normal but to me it is quite annoying. To all of you out there: If you turn slightly right does it keep going right? Same to the left? Please let me know some more opinions. Thanks

The dealer tech said he will check for bulletins and call the tech line but I haven't heard back yet.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pahch
I went to the local Honda dealer and asked them to go for a ride with me. So a tech drove my car and it seemed a little tight to him also. They had a used 04 Civic Hybrid on the lot so we took it for a drive also. It seemed to drive the same as mine????.
Sounds VERY familiar to my experience, both of the steering tightness and the dealer response. Initially the Service Manager at the dealer's satellite went for a ride with me and immediately agreed that the steering was not right. The head honcho Service Manager, not having "heard" about HCH steering rack problems, wanted to test drive it himself. After doing so, he declared it "normal for electric power steering", and declared there was nothing to fix.

I opened a service complaint (hint: the 800 number in the back of your Owner's Manual) to pursue the matter. To make a long story short, The head Service Manager and I subsequently went for a long test drive together. He finally acknowledged that the tightness did make it impossible to make minor steering corrections, but still maintained that it still might be "normal" for HCH-I's. It was only after he compared it to another 2005 HCH that just happened to be in for service that he agreed that the steering rack DID need to be replaced. I guess I was fortunate that the HCH he had to compare mine to didn't have the same problem. If it had, I would probably either still be fighting or driving a different car.

With the new steering rack I am now happy as could be with my HCH. Problem solved! Don't give up. It took me over a month. Be polite but be persistent. Over-tight steering is not "normal" in any car, even in HCH's.

P.S. I recently stopped by the satellite dealer to thank the service manager there for his help getting the problem resolved and to tell him how much I was enjoying the improvement. Alas, he is no longer working there. I hope he didn't get into trouble by going up against his boss in getting my problem addressed, but I have to wonder....

Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

i am currently experiencing the same issues on a car i just purchased this week, 44000 miles, out of regular warranty but still under 80000 mile hybrid warranty....u think it could still be covered? its just my luck that i wasnt able to notice the problem until after i bought it, i even drove it up to 60 mph on test drive and it didnt stand out....i wonder if i can return the car unless they fix it? i havent even had the car for 100 miles and one week, purchased from dealership used 05 model

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Just a quick update. I'm still driving the little hybrid. It now has over 130K and runs great(but no power) and still has stiff steering. I've averaged about 49mpg over the last 70K miles and just live with the steering. Considering putting a new rack in it but - Nah, I'll keep living with it.

Quick Reply: 04 HCH CVT Steering problem- 21k miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands