HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Joan:
Not long ago there was a thread that stated the price of a pack had dropped to $2200. That is still up there! Honda cats. are expensive as well. Keep bugging them and raise as much h*ll as posible. Best of luck, H

Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

$2200 sounds a lot better than $4000! Does anyone knows what happens when the IMA battery is completely dead? Would it run like a regular Civic and of course just get less gas mileage? Sorry if you guys have already talked about this! I'm new here and haven't read all the threads about the IMA batteries yet.

My service advisor just told me to run it until it's dead.......my IMA light has been on for 2 months! Then he told me I might as well buy a new car after the IMA dies......

Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I can not help you much on the 2003-5 models. I own 2006-8 model. I am not sure if the IMA starts your engine or does it us a seperate starter ,battery and alternator to start it. It sounds like the later. If that is the case you can continue to run it, as long as you can start the engine. With the new IMA system the electric motor charges all the pack including the starter battery. Hopefully someone with the older hybird can come to your aid. Where is msantos when we need him! Hal

Old 08-02-2008, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

I read somewhere there has to be a connection to the 12 V to charge it, and I know I don't have an alternator......it's possible though I read somewhere.
I'm off to vacation for a week! I'll write again when I come back!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

There was a software update done that supposedly corrected the problem with catalytic converter life. It would make sense, fuel mixture and engine control will make or break a catalytic converter. Any of you dead cat people have this update done? I have a 2003 with no cat or IMA battery problems yet after 80K miles.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I presently have 143,000 km on my 2003. At about 90,000 km I had to have the cat replaced. All on Honda's bill.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Now I read a big time engineer from Toyota states the hybrid batteries were meant to last the life of the car. Maybe in the Prius they will, but it doesn't appear that in the Civics they will last the lifetime of the car. I am STILL not having problems with my IMA battery despite the light being on for 2 months and they have told me I need to replace the battery AND cat converter (which will make #4 converter in my car with 121,000 miles).

Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Enthusiast

Yes I also had the update done..........maybe I'll just go with a FIT next time. They look cute, have a nice small engine, and won't have hybrid battery problems...

Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

My HCH 2003 is at about 120K miles. My IMA light came on and the dealer told me code P1447 and that I need a new IMA battery module, which costs $2,992.13 for the parts only, plus a "special delivery" charge of about $400! The hybrid battery on this car was replaced under warranty at only 50,000 miles. Now I am told I am out of warranty for the module, although the cars built later in the same model year got a 150k warranty on this unit (whereas mine has only an 80k miles warranty.) I've called Honda and registered my complain and am waiting to hear back. This is not a Volvo or a BMW and I don't think we should be having such expensive failures at this mileage with this little car (a brand new non-hybrid civic costs $15K.) Anyone get anywhere with Honda on this problem?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

2003's had several issues with them and if you can show reoccurring problems with your vehicle & that you have followed the service intervals to Honda corporate and keep at them I have heard of several people that were able to get these things covered at least in part, if not the whole thing. When speaking with Honda Corporate and they ask you what they can do to make this right for you, don't be afraid to say, replace the parts and fix my car.

The batteries should last the life of the car, not how long your dealership thinks they should. If you don't like what your dealer is telling you then try a different one. Not all dealerships are created equally.

Quick Reply: Any recent IMA/Battery Replacements?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands