HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

HCH I Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default HCH I Audio Upgrade

I've read up on the threads on here about car subwoofer/audio upgrades. I consulted with Crutchfield and they mentioned about about not going above 30 amps. I know the HCH I has an DC-DC inverter and no alternator.

I talked to a guy that helped me install a grid charger and he mentioned that he's seen hybrids with subwoofers all the time. I was wondering if any of you had any upgraded setups and how many watts your speakers were? Still debating if I should even do an upgrade. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH I Audio Upgrade

Just info for anyone that might upgrade their car audio in the future. I upgraded the sound system completely on my 03 HCH I.

Already had a aftermarket stereo.
Added JL ACP112LG-TW1 (400 watts, built in amp, 30 amps, 12-inch sub)
http://www.jlaudio.com/acp112lg-tw1-...-systems-93333

Alpine SPR60's front and rear
Alpine mini amp powering those speakers (not sure model/specs, got this all done at a shop)
JL bass control ****
8 gauge amp kit
sound deadeners in the front

The JL subwoofer sounds real good with hip hop and trance/edm. It can get loud/clean for such a small box. The bass control **** allows you to change how much bass you want and let's you play around.

Only using the OEM Honda battery in the front of the car. Car shop said shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't blasting the sub to the max 24/7. Haven't had any issues and it sounds very good. Asked if I should replace with a deep cycle battery and the car shop said could wait till the current battery dies out, then replace with a better one if you wanted.