HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Replacing Engine Mounts on HCH I

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Replacing Engine Mounts on HCH I

I have recently acquired a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Manual with 180,000mi. It has an issue with jerkiness in first gear, as well as somewhat high vibration when idling after a cold start. I believe this can be attributed to failing engine mounts due to the high torque of the electric motor in low gear. Does anyone have experience changing these mounts? I haven't found any good guides or resources for these, so I'm hesitant to start working on it. Anyone who has attempted this, how difficult is it? Is there a video I could reference? Also, do I need different mounts for the MT model vs the CVT?

In addition, does anyone know what other issues could cause this? I've also seen people mention valve adjustment as a cause of engine noise at high mileage. What experience do you have with this problem, and with any potential solutions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing Engine Mounts on HCH I

Get the actual honda part numbers from here and base all searches on those part numbers:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...xoCd2cQAvD_BwE

Would fully expect different mounts between MT and CVT. Might be wrong.

I had good luck on my HCH2 getting decent aftermarket parts.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks! I came up with these parts for the four mounts:

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ljLWdhcw%3D%3D

Fingers crossed I can find these on the cheap.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:28 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Replacing Engine Mounts on HCH I

I recently went through this as well as I also have a 2004 5-speed with 172k. I ended up going to the junkyard to get used OEM mounts. The guy at the desk didn't even charge me for it lol. They are discontinued and impossible to find. I have never had good luck with aftermarket motor mounts (excessive vibration at idle). The anchor brand ones on rock auto might be worth a shot just due to the price but you cannot beat OEM Honda quality. For your question about cvt vs manual mounts only the right upper trans mount is different between them. The manual transmission mount is super rare. For your slight vibration at idle on cold start mine does the same thing. From all of the videos ive watched it is just how it is.

Adjusting the valves is super easy I will have the Service manual Pages attached. I highly recommend purchasing one off of ebay, I believe I paid 60$ for it about a year ago and it has definitely paid off. It shows step-by-step instructions on how to replace anything on the car. It also says to use a minimum of 91 octane fuel not 87 as stated in the owner's manual.
Link to Service Manual on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394402853813
You will want to spray the bolts on the valve cover days in advance multiple times per day. The bolts have a tendency to snap if you are not careful ie. use hand tools.

This weekend or the next I was actually planning on cleaning up the egr passage and valve, clean idle air control valve, clean throttle body, and adjust valves as it has been at least 70k and im in there anyways. I will reply to this post if it makes any notable change.
Lmk if you have any questions about the car I have replaced almost everything at this point lmao.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much! I just ordered a valve adjustment tool, feeler gauges, and a new valve cover gasket (as well as a service manual to boot).

When you did yours, did you use the genuine honda gasket sealant? I found it on Amazon, but it's kind of pricy. If I could, I'd rather use something cheaper, like permatex black RTV.

link to the amazon page:
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-17-2023, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

I actually went to the dealership to buy that expensive stuff and they told me that they use 09718-0004 in place of that stuff and have never had a problem. At less than half the price I couldn't say no lol. The Honda Stuff is the only way to go for sure. I've never had it leak on anything. Just make sure to not let it dry before putting the valve cover on. It says to wait 1 hour after installation before starting the car but ideally, you want to just leave it overnight (quote from the dealership). It is used on a lot of the sealing surfaces on the car so I would definitely recommend just buying the Honda stuff.

Link to OEM Honda Bond on amazon:
Amazon Amazon